Buy a hand pump or a small tank?

The wife said buy a PCP, and don't fool with a Springer! I'm looking at Moods and I saw that AoA has a used Brocock Compatto for sale. I can't purchase a Hill pump and small tank like the Airhog 14cuft. So, if you could buy only one, which would you choose? A paintball place about 15 miles away will fill the tank to 4500psi for $4.50. I worry that being tied solely to a tank, and maybe a pump is the wisest first buy?

​If you had it to do over, what would you do? BTW, I don't think pumping will be too bad, I'm 6'4 and 240#.

chris

Hand pumps are "HARD" work but with a Marauder or Compatto they work OK!
I would bet that it will not be long however if you get a Hand Pump you will be telling
your wife how you should have gotten the tank because it would be much more enjoyable
to shoot without pumping. Also take into consideration that moisture in the air from a hand
pump is your guns worst enemy. The Compatto Instruction Booklet recommends "Against" using
a hand pump because of moisture. Still though it is nice to have a backup solution available.

Thurmond

I used to pump a Condor. I will never do that again. I currently pump a Compatto with no problems at all. It also depends on how much you plan on shooting and how fast. After a recharge the pump will need to cool for a while so you don't blow out your o rings. You will blow out orings if you hand pump tho so make sure you have a good supply of them. Also if you are looking to save a little you may want to consider this pump:
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/BULL-30Mpa-car-tyre-hand-pcp-pump-with-pressure-gauge-and-valve-Free-shipping-to-russia/1869087974.html
I have one and it works quite well. It has a threaded input that accepts adapters for inline moisture filters.
The small tank will probably give you 10-12 full refills and then some partials depending on how close to 4500 the paintball shop will get it for you. That is less than one tin of pellets per trip to the paintball place, and you may have to leave it overnight to be filled. 

Chris at 6' 4" and 240# you may be just fine pumping but I can tell you that at 5' 8" and 177# I find it difficult to get to 3K psi on anything but a small volume reservoir and even then it is not easy. I have a 90 cu/in tank that is 4500 psi and I once tried to fill it above 3K. No Way possible for a man of my build. I think ajshoots might know a man in Texas that could get you a good deal on a 74 cu/ft tank. You might ask him if you get that marauder from him.

Thurmond

I don't want to call people a bunch of wimps but damn. I have a Airforce Talon ss and a Hill mk4 pump. I am 63 5'9" 210 lbs in really poopty shape. Have had 2 major heart operations and i drink and smoke. I do not have a hard time using the pump. I try not to let the tank drop below 2400 psi. It takes me around 75 pumps to get it back to 3000 psi. You must bend your knees and use your body. I do 30 pumps rest for 10 min. Also lets the pump cool down then pump the rest. Am good for another 40 good shots. 

I'll ask AJshoots about the tank. I don't have to have a carbon fiber tank. I'm perfectly fine moving around a metal tank. At work, I'm moving around filled and unfilled 150cuft H2 tanks, so I know I can swing around a smaller metal tank. I have been looking for used SCBA stuff around here, but I have only found old tanks that were rated under 3000psi and needed Hydro and visual testing. The N2 tanks that I thought I might use through our service at work only fills to 2200psi. Bummer.

There's a dive shop right here in town that I've emailed to find out about filling and used tanks but they've been unresponsive. I'll have to stop by there. That would be a nice place to refill because they are only about 3 miles from my house.

ChiefRicci, can you pump 2400psi to 3000psi in one run or must you stop for 10 minutes in the middle to allow the pump to cool?

I no longer hunt due to a disability, and time constraints. I want to shoot with my 13 year old daughter, and we'll punch paper and maybe little critter targets. I'm challenging her to see if she can out-shoot me, which isn't all that hard anymore (Right handed, right eye dominant, can't see much out of the right eye due to Ramsay-Hunt Syndrome). The local public gun range is too crazy to take her there, no range master, and a bunch of idiots that think they are Seal Team 6. I have permission to shoot in the large wooded lot that is 5 minutes from home.

Thanks,

Chris

I had a great talk with AJshooter this morning. What an incredibly nice and helpful guy!!!

I got in touch with the local dive shop and they can fill to 3600psi for $5/fill. They said that they have new aluminum 80cuft tanks for $180 that include setup and valves that I could use to connect to the Mrod.

I know that if I start out with 3600psi, each time I fill the rifle, the pressure drops in the tank. How many refills can I get before I need to refill the 80cuft tank? The nice thing is that the dive shop is 1 mile from work, and I think $5/fill is very reasonable!

When I use the link to determine fills, under scuba tank, it asks for cubic inches of water volume, and I looked that up and I found an 80cuft tank holds 677cubic inches of water. The calculator said that if I'm filling at 2000psi to 3000psi, I will get 29 refills per tank. That equals $0.1724 per refill, or if I get 30 shots in .177 per fill, would equal $.0005747 per pellet. That's not too bad. The shop also said that they could set up two tanks to run cascading where one fills low pressure and the other one tops off the high pressure. I'm not sure that's worth doing right now. I'm not going to shoot 870 pellets per sitting!

Chris

If you plan on doing a lot of shooting, both the hand pump and the small tank will most likely be disappointing. At a month shy of 60 years old, I do not mind using a hand pump at all. In fact I find it a challenge, much like hill climbing when bicycling; however I know most people will not share my feelings regarding pumping a hand pump (or bicycling). And as already mentioned, moisture can become a problem, especially during summer months or if used extensively.

A small tank will work, however again if shooting a lot is the plan you may be disappointed as the tank will run low faster than anticipated. So unless you have a fill station close by, the small tank will become frustrating rather quickly. 

Edit: Did not see the post above before I submitted by post. It seems as if the tank filing will not be an issue. Enjoy your new rifle and have fun!!! :<))

The issue with a pump is not the difficulty, it's the time it takes. With proper technique, it's not physically challenging. It certainly won't replace a workout. It's just that spending 10-20 minutes pumping for every 20-30 shots is boring enough to spoil the enjoyment of an afternoon shooting. 

The price of buying a used 30 or 45 minute 4500psi scba tank and fill adapter is not that different to buying a new hand pump if you buy smart. Don't waste your time on a 3000psi tank. The issue is not the weight, it's that you don't get enough fills when using a 3000psi tank for a 3000 psi fill. You won't even get one full fill. 

Drop me a PM if you have trouble finding a decent deal on a used scba tank and I'll give you the contact info for the store I buy mine from. He always has tons of used tanks for sale with fresh hydros for between $110 and $140 (depending on the brand and age). 

You also want to check that the paintball store can fill tanks with a cga347 valve. 

If if there was no fill station close to where you live, then a pump might have been the only option for you, but that's not the case. 

Tony,

I drain my compressors and blow out the lines before each fill. I just went down and checked the compressors after refilling from a 72cf tank from 3000-4500 psi for the weekend. Two teaspoons of liquid came out of the primary compressor and about 1/2 teaspoon between the Freedom 8 and the Alpha dryer. The primary was mostly clear but did have rust in it from the primary tank (200 psi 6.5HP emglow). The liquid between the Freedom 8 and the Alpha has silicon oil and teflon grease in it from the Freedom8.

Without the hoses setup for vertical and the dryer, that would be headed for the guns tank and subsequently the rest of the gun. Wet metal in valves, regulators, and barrels is not good.

"sharroff"Tony,

I drain my compressors and blow out the lines before each fill. I just went down and checked the compressors after refilling from a 72cf tank from 3000-4500 psi for the weekend. Two teaspoons of liquid came out of the primary compressor and about 1/2 teaspoon between the Freedom 8 and the Alpha dryer. The primary was mostly clear but did have rust in it from the primary tank (200 psi 6.5HP emglow). The liquid between the Freedom 8 and the Alpha has silicon oil and teflon grease in it from the Freedom8.

Without the hoses setup for vertical and the dryer, that would be headed for the guns tank and subsequently the rest of the gun. Wet metal in valves, regulators, and barrels is not good.
You have two compressors? You must shoot a lot, or do you have a store?