Bust the chuck, or leave him be?

There has been a woodchuck living in the burm here are the farm off and on for a while. I never saw him, but his holes were quite obvious. I dumped used kitty litter and my compost bucket down his first hole, and he dug a new one. I urinated down his second hole and blocked the opening with a cinder block and then saw no evidence of him for two months. Today I actually saw the little turd leaving the flower garden and he was heading toward the burm. He has dug a new hole.

The question is, should I hunt him down. He isn’t causing any trouble in the burm, I just don’t want him undermining the barn or sheds. He keeps using the burm so that appears to be the favored location.

Are woodchucks territorial? Should I expect to only have one in the farmyard, and if he likes the burm I don’t have to worry about another moving under the barn? Or are they somewhat gregarious and any offspring they have will move in next door?

Thanks,
-pg

Hmmmmmm

Screenshot_20230903_141441_Samsung Internet.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: N2 Shooter
There has been a woodchuck living in the burm here are the farm off and on for a while. I never saw him, but his holes were quite obvious. I dumped used kitty litter and my compost bucket down his first hole, and he dug a new one. I urinated down his second hole and blocked the opening with a cinder block and then saw no evidence of him for two months. Today I actually saw the little turd leaving the flower garden and he was heading toward the burm. He has dug a new hole.

The question is, should I hunt him down. He isn’t causing any trouble in the burm, I just don’t want him undermining the barn or sheds. He keeps using the burm so that appears to be the favored location.

Are woodchucks territorial? Should I expect to only have one in the farmyard, and if he likes the burm I don’t have to worry about another moving under the barn? Or are they somewhat gregarious and any offspring they have will move in next door?

Thanks,
-pg
All rodents get the lead. All.

The chuck under the berm is largely independent of future chucks under the barn. A new one could move in under the barn whether or not you shoot the current chuck. The current one could raise a large family, some of which move under the barn, or they might attract a predator that keeps them from moving under the barn. Who knows? But it sounds like your problem isn't urgent, and that you frequently inspect your property.
Regarding the question of territoriality, which is a good question, it looks like they are, but in an area under around 100 yards in any direction, and certainly two territories could share a common border between your barn and berm.
Figure 1 estimates the area of territory as under 10,000 square yards (or meters), Figure 2 shows there is limited overlap between territories, and Figure 3 shows how they may abut, which gets at your question.
FWIW, I have observed that some dogs really like to catch and eat wood chucks.
Cheers,
Mike

Reactions: PumaCarl