Business opportunity! What do you guys think?

Well I do have some insight on this. First- You need to be committed for several years whether your making money or not. Takes at least that long to get some designs in place and clients. Having a wife with a good job and the insurance helps.

Second- You have to find some niche in the market. When I got into this OEM furniture for airguns was pretty bad across the board. Some manufacturers did good but their line of guns have been the same for many years (springers) so they have had a lot of time to refine the design/manufacturing process to get their production costs down to a profitable point. Costs of sophisticated machinery and availability of them has improved and manufacturers like Minelli have been supplying gun manufacturers with high quality factory stocks in Europe and elsewhere for quite some time now and eliminating opportunities for custom guys like myself.

Third-The custom world doesn't do quantity-it thrives on quality. Stock manufacturers like Boyds have millions of guns available for their products to fit so they can produce the same design for the multitudes and just because the design is different from the OEM doesn't really classify it as a custom. One thing you will find in air gunning and air gunners is everyone wants something different. Different needs due to taste or application so that complicates things and thus is time consuming and thus expensive and their just isn't enough of these guns of any particular model out there to do hundreds of stocks a year for. Just isn't there.

One would think if a car/truck manufacturer would offer a pick up truck that costs $15k or even $20k new drive off the lot they they would take over the market and have tons of business so you have to ask yourself why there isn't any?? So why isn't anyone offering custom stocks at the price point you have suggested???? Have to ask yourself that.......there is a reason for it.

There where several guys doing this when I got into it and they are all gone(still around just not producing anymore)-DaveG. Paul Bishop, Mike Abernethy and Jim Macarri to name a few and these guys are REALLY good. Also where some that did it as a side gig and did some good stuff as well.

So here is my advice-Yes there are opportunities to do this and if you are driven enough, persistent enough and talented enough you WILL be successful but that can be said about any business venture.

Good luck and don't be afraid if you have a passion for this.

One thing you will find that airgunners are the BEST when it comes to doing business with them. I have had some really good customers over the years and that is a testament of the quality of folks overall that you will be dealing with.

Steve Corcoran

I think you are thinking WAY too cheap. I think the only money to be made is on the high end of this. Really pretty high quality work that will support almost any price. That’s just the facts I fear. Guys are always looking for a bargain who isn’t but you have so many expense items to factor in. Do that and then figure you will have to at least double that. Thinking in reverse can you see a profit of $125 on a $250 stock? I sure can’t 

There's been a lot of wisdom in this thread (pro and con). 

First, ignore the critics. 

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes up short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.”

Teddy Roosevelt

That said, do your homework! Try to figure out what your market might be - both for the super-popular stock-needing airgun you first accommodate as well as into the future. Figure out your price thresholds - maybe $250 needs to be $350 - I haven't done the research, but you need to. And some will be trial and error. It's great if you can start while you have income coming from elsewhere (your spouse, your other sideline, or (gaackkkk!) your job). The best business ideas are a labor of love - they're something you want, and you assume other people want it too. Temper your anticipation of others enthusiasm until you've seen it (in dollars, not forum posts) and be prepared to "pivot" to something else in order to make a profit.

There are a lot of "boutique" shops that don't really profit. They run for a few years, income covering tangible expenses, and then they go away when the owner realizes they've been paying themselves $0.25 / hour. Figure out how much you need to make (to cover your expenses, and make the whole shebang worth the hassle) and how long you're willing to wait for that to happen. Set the deadline and work toward it. This technique is excellent, because it balances your commitment with your (income) requirements, your productivity, and your market. 

It's a tough row to hoe, but those who do, never look back. If you love the idea, go for it, but go for it with complete commitment, and be willing to change your idea to match market demands. Self employment is exciting stuff, I wish you both the best!

GsT

I didn’t see anyone at all being critical. In fact I see little disagreement. We are all trying to give helpful input. I think every comment has great merit . I’m for limited production of high end stocks but CERTAINLY if you can tap into a really high volume of lower priced goods that would probably be your best bet. I just question if there is a market of that type and is that the type of work you would aspire to doing. McDonalds sells a lot of hamburgers.

You know if I was going to do stock work I’d start with say one or two guns and just make really pretty stocks for them. If you’re into springers say stocks for an HW 30 or 97. PCP? I don’t know I think a really pretty stock for my Daystate revere would be nice to own. Stocks for the old FWB 300s could be a hit. I don’t know if I’d want to make custom stocks special order. Pleasing the customer issues I’m thinking.

I have been in the muzzle loading sport for hunting , target shooting then started building reproductions of long rifles for myself and then saw a niche for all the leather accoutrements that are used in the sport and historical reinacting . There just wasn’t anyone making bags and other leather goods at a volume level at a reasonable price for the average enthusiast. There were plenty of gun makers, knife makers, powder horn makers clothing makers and makers of everything else you would want or need but leather crafters were not seeing the opportunity. The last 20 years I’ve been working full time for myself making a line of products of my own design for catalog houses and retailers including Cabela’s and my own website store and haven’t regretted it. I know several gunstock makers / gun stock wood suppliers who have made a living in the muzzleloading business. I’m talking about traditional long rifles here, not the modern inline. I have seen a few come and go over the years too. All have used a duplicator machine run by hand and offer many styles of stock patterns and can inlet for your barrel shape and the ramrod but usually that is it. You have to inlet all the rest of the parts. There has been a guy who in the last 5 years or so has offered a complete inletted kit done on a 3D duplicateing CNC machine. Everything needed to complete the rifle is completely inletted and shaped with pricing starting around $1000 for a complete kit that just needs completed depending on what other inlays and carving the owner wants done. He already was working in a CNC machine shop so he already had a leg up on what was needed. He is doing very well with just two styles ( we call them Schools) I would think you would be successful in the airgun world offering custom wood stocks but you are best to pick a couple makes of guns and develope your style of stock for it and grow from there. You can’t be a maker of everything for everybody. It will just tie up all your time and eat away your profits. Keep it simple , efficient and develope your business as your profit warrants any expansion. I developed my leather goods while working another full time job in the shoe industry as I saw the writing on the wall that I would not have a job too much longer. I used all my knowledge and skills from my previous career to start my own business which really helped. You didn’t say if you had any background in CNC or wood working. I would hope you do to give you a leg up. A knowledge of running a business is also a big factor. If not check your local chamber of Commerce to see if they offer some type of mentoring from a retired business owner. My town offered it for free. I think your on to a good thing here. Start slowly and pick reliable sources of materials. Go slow, maybe keep your day job too for a while. New start up’s usually don’t make a profit the first 5 years. Good luck .

I could see you making partially done stocks for that price or even 300 or 350. Good quality wood with the stocks cut out and ready for finishing. I would totally buy one for that if you had a great quality wood and general shape. That way the buyer can use whatever stain they want and as much time sanding or cross sanding or whatever. I mean no beech or anything but get walnut or even that Hawaiian hardwood with layers of rich colors. Honestly I think there is a great opportunity for you here. Making those cuts is what keeps me from doing my own stock. Just an idea. Hope you have great success 

You would need to find your own niche. There is some stiff competition out there.

https://www.customstock.co.uk/product/cs500-sporter-air-rifle-stock

image.1613618275.jpeg

A very reasonable $270 for a walnut stock to fit your HW95 complete with pad and checkering. I don't know why I don't have one already. Is there a catch that I'm not seeing?

I know of a gent who lives in Rhode Islands who does laminate stocks for the 10/22.

Well, got 3 of his and they are fantastic.

His inletting is unparalleled it would seem that when you install your action into his stock you'd hear a hissing sound synonymous to an air lock 😁

OK, I am exaggerating but it is really close to that, lol!

His basic design (sporter) is less than $200, just to give you an idea, Mr. OP.

He also does BR stocks (he makes them for Joe Chacon, aka ABRA god) for less than $400.

The finish is that of a Euro super car:

IMG_20200827_130847367 2.1613619341.jpg

They are BR stocks, Mr. G.

He makes about 6 or so models and just for 2 actions: CZ 455 and 10/22.

It would be practical for you to concentrate on just 1 or 3 actions, I suppose.

Good luck, sir!

Darkhorse1967, can you tell me who the maker of the 10/22 stocks is? I would be interested in looking at his selection and probably will purchase one (or two....).

Chris