• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Business opportunity! What do you guys think?

A friend of mine (professional woodworker) & I are thinking of starting a business. We're going look at some computer controlled routing & duplicating machines this week in the hopes of making custom laminate or solid gun stocks at A REASONABLE PRICE. We're going to try to keep the cost around $250 or less. Just looking for feedback to get an idea of whether or not to invest. What say you, my airgun addicted brethren & sistern (not cistern). 

Reactions: baranjhn
The first question you should ask yourselves are, how deep are your pockets and how much in debt are you looking to be? CNC machines are not cheap. From experience, I've created my own CNC machine from scratch to save on major costs. Even by doing that I'm always stressed about making the months bills because finding clients these days are getting hard. Just make sure you have a solid business plan before you execute. But I have also thought about designing custom stocks as well and it gets very expensive and time consuming designing and going through prototypes. I am a one man show and at most times I wish I had a partner to help out. You have an advantage over me. But if you got all your ducks in a row I'd say go for it. 

Reactions: Ezana4CE
I think it would be wonderful,how many do you need to sell to break even? To keep it that cheap you are going to have to be very selective on what models air guns to do and got to make it simple machine work....$250 for wood....that fits my rifle without too much work.....OK,"Just Do It"....I hope you are able to do it....it is soooooo much needed.....Good Luck..

I think at $250 a stock you will need a bigger faster truck for driving to the poor farm. You would need purchasing and production volumes like Boyd's to be at that price point.

Agreed. I work a lot with wood. It adds up fast. But back to AF and Avenger stocks and the like, if you can corner the market for stocks not available I'm wood for the best sellers...more power to you.

You might try some smaller furniture pieces too like foregrips and wooden AR grips. I made a wooden foregrip a while back, oversized, and it is awesome. 

IMG_1075.1613531315.JPG

Great idea👍! Just some thoughts from an old carpenter - lots of opportunity - as mentioned, bullpups are the rage now and folding stocks, too. AR interface for a 6 position tube means less wood and adjustable length of pull which is a big plus - purchaser can acquire those parts per their taste or requirements. You've probably thought of it, but finishing is another dimension so offer an unfinished option to cut costs. Good luck!

Make some good wood stocks for AirForce Condors and Talons

Working on it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XOY7qpFZqbU&feature=youtu.be&ab_channel=gowindward

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6qF4hTu-5UM&feature=youtu.be&ab_channel=gowindward

@Loren Wow! That’s an amazing process. Do you still make tank bags? 

Your biggest problem with be the inletting of ALL...of the different rifles available, that you want to do.

Many years ago, I met a guy that was making custom bullpup stocks for Ruger .10/22's (mine looks like a Steyr AUG with a Mannlicher forend). That's ALL he did. After a few years and people bugging him to do this rifle and that rifle, he started to branching out. BUT, having guns on hand to cut out the center, you must have the gun in hand. Most people aren't too receptive to shipping their guns across the country, so finding someone close by for xxx guns is good.

Or, yeah, sending a private party gun to you is a perfect way to have the perfect fit for the customer. I was lucky, he was already doing the 10/22. He was also willing to manufacture a different scope mount than he had on hand. I drew him a design, he machined out of aluminum, perfect. You'll need a library of inletting dimensions of the given rifles that you want to build stocks for.

Good luck, have fun.

Mike