Bushnell Forge 2.5-15x50 FFP DEPLOY MOA ?

Hi boys. I'm back for another question. I'm considering a Bushnell Forge 2.5-15x50mm FFP Deploy MOA Reticle, for my Hatsan Gladius .25.

I posted before asking advice with a scope for this gun. With the whole covid thing and living in California, I cant actually go out and put my eye on one. Plus, most choices are " Out of stock". Choices are slim right now. But I did recieved some good recommendations. Thanks again.

But this scope caught my eye. I know Bushnell is reputable company and they have a solid warranty, plus this model has quality glass.

I'm going to use the gun both day and night. Small game up to Turkeys and occasional coyotes and target practice by day. At night Rats Skunks Coyotes and feral pests. 

I need good glass for my aging eyes.

Would this scope work ? Or am I just getting to much $$ scope, the wrong scope type, reticle ? Do I need illumination ?

Is anyone familiar with this scope, fan or foe of Bushnell ?

BTY. I can pick this scope up for $419

I'm also looking at a few others

Bushnell nitrox in 2.5 -10x44 FFP Deploy MIL $199

Vortex Diamondback Tactical Rifle Scope - 4-16x44mm FFP EBR-2C MRAD Reticle $349

Athlon Optics Argos BTR Riflescope, 6-24 x 50, FFP, $359

Any other thoughts ?

Thanks

Assuming you got cash burning a hole in your wallet...

The Bushnell Forge doesn't have an illuminated reticle and is being discontinued Bushnell in fact already deleted this one from their website. IMHO they aren't worth $419. If you can find a HAWKE FRONTIER 2.5-15x50 for that price it has Illumination and really clear glass if you really want to spend money.

I would personally choose a mid grade level Athlon over ANY BUSHNELL FORGE such as (AT LEAST!) the MIDAS HMR HD 2.5-15x50 AHMR SFP IR MOA.

Gonna throw out a different candidate to think about, optisan eve series. Utah airguns has a sweet deal on them right now imo. Illuminated reticle, nice bright glass, 4-16 mag range, side focus... but is a sfp scope so consider that compared to your other choices in ffp(unless you're changing magnification constantly that really doesn't matter imo, if you are switching magnification regularly you'll probably want to stick to ffp choices for holdover consistency). I know I love my optisan hx series 4-12x40 with emd reticle as a diamond in the rough of sorts, i would imagine the evx wouldn't disappoint either...

I would first research who has a no questions asked no BS Lifetime Warranty no receipt needed. Very important because there are brands that have conditions to their warranty which makes it not desirable as a used scope for the knowledgeable buyer. Do your Due diligence because Lifetime Warranty may only apply to original owners who actually registered their scope in the first 30 day Grace period and of course if you bought it used then no warranty for you then namely England UK based scope companies even Hawke MTC Optisan just to name a few as you look it up you will see. Lifetime Warranty not for second or third and so on owner.

SECOND how many years the company has been established to give you piece of mind they are stable except for NIKON of course they quit the scope making business and intend to screw their long time customers over revoking their no fault warranty and putting conditions on grandfathered scopes no receipt proof you are the original owner too bad for you. Warranty not transferable. Buy a used one pray that it never ever fails. No proof you are the original owner with proof by having original purchaser receipt No Warranty.

THIRD read this optics section and be well educated. These are from actual users who bought them with their hard earned money and not paid advertising reviewers you see all over the internet who receives free sponsored scopes to do favorable reviews on and only truly believe the ones who actually bought their own scope with their own money to review. As a side note Just pay attention to what scopes some reviewers actually use when scope cam filming on hunting videos. They want to use their nicest scope to catch crystal clear scope cam footage right? Same scope being advertised um... reviewed prior?

Don't believe people who only have one or two brands of scopes since they can't Give a subjective review and or comparison and may be company biased based only on what brands they own. Same with guns.

Example. I only have UTG scopes and Centerpoints OH they are the best I highly recommend ONLY these brands because I have never even looked through any nicer scopes and I only have these brands on my guns. Oh I have bad eyesight so any scope looks clear to me BTW. Even cheap scopes at the highest magnification their milkiness never bothers me because they all look really clear to me but don't blame me if you aren't happy looking through with your eyes because I never even looked through a tier 1 scope before so I don't even know what the GOLD standard of clear really is. 

Read the optics section. Being Educated is good. IQ level goes up too. NO NOT IMPLYING YOU. Everybody.

I would first research who has a no questions asked no BS Lifetime Warranty no receipt needed. Very important because there are brands that have conditions to their warranty which makes it not desirable as a used scope for the knowledgeable buyer. Do your Due diligence because Lifetime Warranty may only apply to original owners who actually registered their scope in the first 30 day Grace period and of course if you bought it used then no warranty for you then namely England UK based scope companies even Hawke MTC Optisan just to name a few as you look it up you will see. Lifetime Warranty not for second or third and so on owner.

SECOND how many years the company has been established to give you piece of mind they are stable except for NIKON of course they quit the scope making business and intend to screw their long time customers over revoking their no fault warranty and putting conditions on grandfathered scopes no receipt proof you are the original owner too bad for you. Warranty not transferable. Buy a used one pray that it never ever fails. No proof you are the original owner with proof by having original purchaser receipt No Warranty.

THIRD read this optics section and be well educated. These are from actual users who bought them with their hard earned money and not paid advertising reviewers you see all over the internet who receives free sponsored scopes to do favorable reviews on and only truly believe the ones who actually bought their own scope with their own money to review. As a side note Just pay attention to what scopes some reviewers actually use when scope cam filming on hunting videos. They want to use their nicest scope to catch crystal clear scope cam footage right? Same scope being advertised um... reviewed prior?

Don't believe people who only have one or two brands of scopes since they can't Give a subjective review and or comparison and may be company biased based only on what brands they own. Same with guns.

Example. I only have UTG scopes and Centerpoints OH they are the best I highly recommend ONLY these brands because I have never even looked through any nicer scopes and I only have these brands on my guns. Oh I have bad eyesight so any scope looks clear to me BTW. Even cheap scopes at the highest magnification their milkiness never bothers me because they all look really clear to me but don't blame me if you aren't happy looking through with your eyes because I never even looked through a tier 1 scope before so I don't even know what the GOLD standard of clear really is. 

Read the optics section. Being Educated is good. IQ level goes up too. NO NOT IMPLYING YOU. Everybody.

I couldn't agree more. I have observed and taken note of the exact same details you have pointed out.

In the past. 70's -90 I used Bushnell and graduated to Leupold. I stopped hunting large game and birds with the loss of land and quality of game. I concentrated on diving and spearfishing. I still hunt wild pigs occasionally. Using my old Leupold scope that keeps on going. 

I have watched the city encroach and other pain in the ass species/ pests take over.

So I'm adapting and adjusting.

Most on here wouldn't believe me, if I told them how hunting was almost 50 years ago in California's Northern and central valley locations. It was almost paradise.

But everything changes, and one needs to adapt.

So now it's Pigs, Turkeys, Coyotes, Ferals, pigeons, raccoon, Squirrels, Rats, Starlings etc. Really all pests when you think about it.

So fine Sir. What scopes would you recommend ?

Sincerely, Craig

Gonna throw out a different candidate to think about, optisan eve series. Utah airguns has a sweet deal on them right now imo. Illuminated reticle, nice bright glass, 4-16 mag range, side focus... but is a sfp scope so consider that compared to your other choices in ffp(unless you're changing magnification constantly that really doesn't matter imo, if you are switching magnification regularly you'll probably want to stick to ffp choices for holdover consistency). I know I love my optisan hx series 4-12x40 with emd reticle as a diamond in the rough of sorts, i would imagine the evx wouldn't disappoint either...

Thank you for the recommendations. 

But I do think I want an FFP with holdover Christmas tree, either MOA OR MIL. It would be nice to have small illumination. But I want large objective and good glass.

If you seek a FFP I can't in good conscience recommend anything because of the fact that on their lowest power it may be nearly impossible to see the reticle thus negating the benefit of the lower zoom portion range of the FFPs.

I have recently gotten a couple other brands of FFP scopes and after looking through them to justify using them I have ultimately decided to stick with only SFP so I can actually see the damn reticle no matter what power in the brush in real world hunting situations. They are fine with a white or lithe background like paper targets but you don't use low magnification for shooting a per targets anyway. Just keep in mind when the reticle literally disappears blending into the background scenery while hunting on low magnification this is why I can't recommend any FFP scope.

Buy your no questions asked no receipt needed Lifetime Warranty FFP scope from a return friendly scope dealer that has no restocking fee. Don't mount it and look through it specifically at the lowest magnification and see for yourself if you can live with it for your night time hunt. Look through at lowest power at night with a night vision ocular attachment and see if the reticle is easy to see.

Craig, you want an FFP.

And I'm with you on that. 👍🏼

The issue that Odoyle mentions is that at low magnification the FFP reticle lines and holdoff hash lines become smaller in the scope image (they don't actually become smaller in relation to the target, but overall they become smaller).

🔶 That can be a problem in two scenarios:

(a) You plan to adjust your point of aim (POA) using the reticle (=holdover) rather then the turrets (=dialing) when at low magnification. Because the hash lines are so small they are hard (or impossible) to see.

➔ The Fix: Use the turrets to adjust your POA when at low magnifications.

(b) The reticle does not have thick outside post — which help to guide the eye to where the crosshairs meet for your point of aim — as the crosshairs have become very thin at the low magnification.

➔ The Fix: Buy a scope with an FFP reticle that has thick outside posts.

🔶 These problems are made worse when:

▪ You have an FFP scope with a high magnification range, like a 5-fold magnification (5-25x; 4-20x; 3-15x) or a 6-fold (2.5-15x; 3-18x). A 3-fold magnification for instance makes this issue not be as bad (like a 3-9x; 4-12x; 5-15x).

▪You shoot with a very "busy" background (like underbrush) that will make the hash lines harder to see than an "even" background (like sand, a wall, etc.).

⭐ Personally, the advantages of an FFP over an SFP for hunting outweigh these issues.

🔶 I'll attach a couple of Scope Specs Tables where you can see and compare the magnification ranges, the types of recticles (thick posts or not, X-M style grid or not), prices, warranty, weight, etc.

Happy scope shopping! 😄

Matthias

❌ Attachment: Scope Specs Table for 3-9x, 3-12x and SHORT scopes

download.png
View attachment SCOPE SPECS TABLE. For Short Scopes -and- 3-12x 3-9x. 045. 2020-08. TABLE.1599406694.pdf

❌ Attachment: Scope Specs Table for 4-16x, 3-18x scopes

download.png
View attachment SCOPE SPECS TABLE. For 4-14x 3-18x, 4-16x Magnification. 071. 2020-06. TABLE.1599406728.pdf

Craig, you want an FFP.

And I'm with you on that.
1f44d-1f3fc.svg

The issue that Odoyle mentions is that at low magnification the FFP reticle lines and holdoff hash lines become smaller in the scope image (they don't actually become smaller in relation to the target, but overall they become smaller).

1f536.svg
That can be a problem in two scenarios:

(a) You plan to adjust your point of aim (POA) using the reticle (=holdover) rather then the turrets (=dialing) when at low magnification. Because the hash lines are so small they are hard (or impossible) to see.

➔ The Fix: Use the turrets to adjust your POA when at low magnifications.

(b) The reticle does not have thick outside post — which help to guide the eye to where the crosshairs meet for your point of aim — as the crosshairs have become very thin at the low magnification.

➔ The Fix: Buy a scope with an FFP reticle that has thick outside posts.

1f536.svg
These problems are made worse when:

25aa.svg
You have an FFP scope with a high magnification range, like a 5-fold magnification (5-25x; 4-20x; 3-15x) or a 6-fold (2.5-15x; 3-18x). A 3-fold magnification for instance makes this issue not be as bad (like a 3-9x; 4-12x; 5-15x).

25aa.svg
You shoot with a very "busy" background (like underbrush) that will make the hash lines harder to see than an "even" background (like sand, a wall, etc.).

2b50.svg
Personally, the advantages of an FFP over an SFP for hunting outweigh these issues.

1f536.svg
I'll attach a couple of Scope Specs Tables where you can see and compare the magnification ranges, the types of recticles (thick posts or not, X-M style grid or not), prices, warranty, weight, etc.

Happy scope shopping!
1f604.svg

Matthias

274c.svg
Attachment: Scope Specs Table for 3-9x, 3-12x and SHORT scopes

download.png
View attachment SCOPE SPECS TABLE. For Short Scopes -and- 3-12x 3-9x. 045. 2020-08. TABLE.1599406694.pdf

274c.svg
Attachment: Scope Specs Table for 4-16x, 3-18x scopes

download.png
View attachment SCOPE SPECS TABLE. For 4-14x 3-18x, 4-16x Magnification. 071. 2020-06. TABLE.1599406728.pdf

Wow !!!🤯 I cannot thank you enough for all that information. That is above and beyond. But Exactly what I am looking for.