Bushbuck and Bell Curve

More testing today through the chrony with my Bushbuck carbine . High power bolt setting.

380 grain bullet
1st shot
4000 fill 674 fps 383 fpe

2nd shot
3500psi 695 fps 407 fpe

3rd shot
2600psi 635 fps 340 fpe

2100 psi remaining

I cut 2 1/2 coils off the hammer spring to get this performance. Gun is easier to cock, less recoil and not such an air hog. Still very accurate. More fun to shoot.

Reactions: RM.510bigbore
@shamu Not bad! Other than easier cocking, what other advantages have you gained from cutting a section from the hammer spring? Less recoil is a plus. Do you think you sacrificed much power?

AOA describes the gun’s capabilities at getting 2 shots on high power and 4 shots on low power with a starting fill to 4500 psi using a 400 grain slug (500+ fpe). Have you filled it to 4500 psi and shot it across a chronograph?

Reactions: RM.510bigbore
Have not filled to 4500 and never plan to. Never could understand why anybody would design an airgun for a fill pressure that only happens once for a full SCBA tank unless you fill it again. I get the marketing thing for selling powerful guns but I guess I don't get impressed that way. I have owned 3 Extremes and changed out the springs on all of them to get a decent bell curve. At 400 fpe it still puts out plenty of power for a carbine.

20230130_171445.jpg

@lonedave Smaller game? I think the platform was developed with large game animals in mind.
Well I guess I'm not sure what the low power setting would be for then. If you can't get one to shoot accurately on low, why bother providing it? Also, not every one can afford to buy a different rifle for every type of game and though it may well be designed for large game (kind of an open definition), you ought to be able to shoot smaller stuff too. Getting an extra shot or two per fill would be great when out hunting coyotes or other smaller/medium stuff where multiple targets might come your way. I was just curious if lighter bullets had been tried too.

I only shoot on high power. I get 2 on high, and a third shot if I need it with less power. The low power I have seen with the carbine/arrow kit being used I believe, but for the full length the intent of the airgun is a big game, big power airgun. I have had success with the low power, but not with the mid 200gr as you would think, but actually with the 365gr High Arch Hunters. Of course, the distance wasn't at 100 yards on the low but like 30,60yrds as though I was shooting at a raccoon. I had originally tried the lighter 45s thinking they'd shoot better, but the twist rate of the barrel combined with the lower speed seemed to like the 120+gr extra in the 365gr splitzer shaped bullets. Funny.

Tell me how they work at 30yrds on low if you got them. I will retest my bushbuck when I get it back (on loan to someone).

Reactions: lonedave
More testing today through the chrony with my Bushbuck carbine . High power bolt setting.

380 grain bullet
1st shot
4000 fill 674 fps 383 fpe

2nd shot
3500psi 695 fps 407 fpe

3rd shot
2600psi 635 fps 340 fpe

2100 psi remaining

I cut 2 1/2 coils off the hammer spring to get this performance. Gun is easier to cock, less recoil and not such an air hog. Still very accurate. More fun to shoot.
I saw a video in this particular carbine. 2 grand, a lot of recoil, a huge blast and a good bit of drop between shot 1 and 2.
Although if you removed the huge drop, the accuracy is there to stack them.
Low power seems to be a wash out.
I do love the ergonomics of the rifle as far as cheek weld to the stock, something that I find unpleasing with my Texan and the stock being the tank.
With that being said, at 3000 psi, I can put 5 in the bottom of a pop can @100 using 300 grain pills. Recoil and blast was OMG loud but I have tamed that down.

I think if that rifle was bottle fed it would do much better and be more desirable.