Burris XTR-II 8-40x50 FFP?

I'm looking for a decent high power scope and have been considering the Sightron SIII 10-50x60 but then came across the Burris XTR-II 8-40x50 which costs the same and offers First Focal Plane and a 34mm tube. Has anyone had any experience with the Burris XTR that can provide me with some feedback?

Burris XTR-II 8-40x50
Price: $1055 + $100 Rebate
Magnification: 8x-40x
Objective: 50 mm
Illumination: Yes
Reticles: F-Class MOA
Focal Plane: 1st Focal Plane
Tube Diameter: 34 mm
Field of View: 13.2 low – 2.8 high (ft. @ 100 yds.)
Eye Relief: 3.5 – 4.25 in.
Click Value: 1/8 MOA; 80-Click Knob
Focus: Side Focus
Parallax: 50 yds.to infinity
Length: 16.68 in.
Weight: 31.40 oz.

Sightron SIII 10-50x60
Price: $1049
Magnification: 10-50x
Objective: 60mm
Illumination: No
Reticle Type: MOA-2
Focal Plane: 2nd Focal Plane
Tube Diameter: 30 mm
Field of View: 9.6 low – 2.2 high (ft. @ 100 yds.)
Eye Relief: 3.8 - 4.5 in.
Click Value: 1/4 MOA; 50-Click Knob
Focus: Side Focus
Parallax: 13yds to Infinity
Length: 16.90 in.
Weight: 30.1 oz.

I don't have any experience with either one of these, but definitely be cognizant of the parallax distances. Last year I bought a Vortex FFP scope and it has a 50 yard parallax. I didn't pay much attention to this at the time, but have since missed the opportunity to take several shots at live targets that were closer than 50 yards because I couldn't see them clearly in my scope. Since then I've removed the Vortex, put it in the closet and bought a BSA FFP scope that can focus at much closer distances. Don't get me wrong, the Vortex is a great scope and their customer service is top notch, but it was just not the right choice for my desired application due to the parallax distances. 

I see the Burris has a parallax of 50 yards to infinity like my Vortex and the Sightron is 13 yards to infinity.

Just my 2 cents...

Reactions: Gunnertrones
"Jason"I don't have any experience with either one of these, but definitely be cognizant of the parallax distances. Last year I bought a Vortex FFP scope and it has a 50 yard parallax. I didn't pay much attention to this at the time, but have since missed the opportunity to take several shots at live targets that were closer than 50 yards because I couldn't see them clearly in my scope. Since then I've removed the Vortex, put it in the closet and bought a BSA FFP scope that can focus at much closer distances. Don't get me wrong, the Vortex is a great scope and their customer service is top notch, but it was just not the right choice for my desired application due to the parallax distances. 

I see the Burris has a parallax of 50 yards to infinity like my Vortex and the Sightron is 13 yards to infinity.

Just my 2 cents...
I plan on using this scope for shooting 75 yards or more. I'm going to buy a GG&G dovetail to picatinny adapter so I can use QD rings on all of my scopes. For anything under 75 feet, I'll use my Hawke Sidewinder Pro.

I have that same Sightron SIII on my Royale 400, have said it before if I could afford it I would have one on all my rifles😊 Might be time to flog off some Leupolds😄😄
This scope on 10X mag will actually focus down to 8metres, the only problem I have with it is the lack of markings on the side parallax, not a big problem if shooting at known distances such as bench rest and easily fixed with an accessory wheel with indicator. If you are going to swap this scope to your .308 I would recommend at the least a 20 moa rail so as to avoid using the top end of the elevation when shooting long range, that's if you are a clicker not a holdover type shooter.

Hey Scott,
this is just me thinking out loud, but wouldn't more magnification be better in this situation. As I understand, You are looking for a scope for the EBR. I am not sure if a FFP would be a benefit for shooting at a static target at a known range...unless the reticle is superfine, it seems like it would only get in the way at higher magnification.
Also, you said you already have a 8-32x56 Sidewinder...if you bought the Burris, having 8x more magnification really isn't that much more...you can see where your shots land at 32x. If you really would like to get up-close to the target, I would get the 60x magnification.
If I was attending this years EBR, I would go with the Sightron III. It is on my list for future purchases
Mike

This might help folks using firearm scopes on air guns. I had a Leupold MK4 8.5-25x laying around unused. Knowing how reliable the clicks and how crystal clear the optics in it are, I wanted to put it to use on my HW100 at the time. I took a Leupold 50ft. focus adapter and put it into a butler creek lens cal that slips onto the end of my scope. It worked out really well. At 25 yards, I can hit flies on 25x. Flip up the lens cap and turn the side focus and I can shoot easily at the 50 yard mark and beyond. Only draw back, there is a "dead spot" at 25x around 35 yards, no biggie, just drop back to 20x. At the 50 yard mark and beyond, 25x works well again. Note.....cote the lens with Vaseline, both sides, if you use super glue to bond it to the lens cap after cutting out the center of the cap to accommodate the focus adapter. If you don't, you will need turpentine to clean the mist of crazy glue off of your lens.

I hope this helps,
Jamie

I would think that if you want a dedicated 75 yds airgun scope I would go with something like a leupold with a fine target reticle. Would work better than a heavy bold reticle I would think. I personally don't care for the Hawke optics I don't think they are very clear even compared to my 1" tube Bushnell elite 4200 in 8-32. I would still go with something you can focus down to 10 yds with.

This thread is two years old, but couldn't find any newer threads about the scope I just bought. Burris XTR II 8 X 40. I won't have it till the end of the month to be mounted on my CondorSS in .25. It''l be my "distance" hunting rifle for squirrels. Using my TalonSS with a MTV Viper 5 X 30 scope on it for less then 35 yards for squirrels.

I'll write a review once I start shooting it the 1st of August.