• *Effective 3/27/2024 - The discussion of the creation, fabrication, or modification of airgun moderators is prohibited. The discussion of any "adapters" used to convert an airgun moderator to a firearm silencer will result in immediate termination of the account.*

Bullysyclone Wylie Kanz moderators... throw everything else in the trash.

I had the pleasure to test out one of these "Wylie Kanz" moderators designed, machined, and built by one of our very own.. @Bullysyclone

The moderators are named after his Basenji (or barkless dog as they're called (how fitting right?) .... Wylie

When I first got the moderator , I wanted to post something but I had not used it yet but that's the impression it hit me with right off the bat, the I've got to tell and show everyone impression!

The craftsmanship, tolerances, colors, and materials are all top notch. 👌

It's machined I believe he said .003 over .22, not like the off the boat Chinese moderators which are typically the next caliber up. The other thing is, they're chambered, his own design, probably could touch on that more himself if you were to ask that way I don't butcher it up.

I would have thought the box was empty had I not purchased some evol tools off John as well, this can is LIGHT! AND YES, that is real carbon fiber, no fake wrap nonsense.

Today I finally tested it.

I brought down my hps which is humming redesigns at 50 fpe , I brought down my hps factory can which is hollow, the Minis can which is baffled and then the Wylie Kanz moderator.

It is easily 10 times quieter (EDITED FOR THE ABSOLUTE FOLK, I cannot actually quantify/scale the improvement as the decibel meter app I have been using has been wonky) than the factory hps can and substantially more quiet than the mini!!! It's also shorter than both! It simply turned a 50 fpe .22 into a whisper. (Science states that a change in DB by the count of 10 from a given number is 10 times louder, this IS SCIENCE, this IS FACT. This is a way of counting or measuring something that increases rapidly, or exponentially. So every increase of 10 dB on the decibel scale is equal to a 10-fold increase in sound pressure level (SPL) which is what Db measures). Near silence is 0 dB but a sound measured at 10 dB is actually 10 times louder, If a sound is 20 dB, that's 100 times louder than near silence.)

If anyone is looking for a top notch moderator this is the one to buy, all my rifles will be getting one and thats fact.... oh did I mention the threads?! Good lord I could sit and just thread this thing off and on its adapter all day, you can tell that care is taken in machining when these things are made, it's clear as day.

The ones he will be producing are aluminum and carbon fiber, I've attached some pics at the end.

EDIT: FOR THR RECORD, My 110c 0db made my evol mini louder than it was using the factory moderator.

View attachment 362017

View attachment 362018

View attachment 362020

View attachment 362021

View attachment 362022

View attachment 362023

View attachment 362024

View attachment 362026
I just got mine in .25 for my EFT Wolverine
Have to wait for the weekend to try it

I just got mine in .25 for my EFT Wolverine
Have to wait for the weekend to try it
I have mine on my mini still, I am going to do some accuracy testing with it soon vs factory moderator. John machines the tolerances very close, I never actually did any true testing but I am almost positive my groups tightened up. Let us know how you like it!

Reactions: Bullysyclone
Reactions: Bullysyclone
This is Bullysyclone’s prototype 30 Kanz on an Uragan. The first photo also shows his Ti bottle adapter with a 350cc bottle. The barrel length is factory. The Kan is 7x1-9/16.

IMG_1802.jpeg

IMG_1803.jpeg

This is Bullysyclone’s prototype 30 Kanz on an Uragan. The first photo also shows his Ti bottle adapter with a 350cc bottle. The barrel length is factory. The Kan is 7x1-9/16

Looks great. I wish I had one but Bullysyclone won't respond to me anymore after our initial conversation so I had to order a Impulse Air. I'd defintely rather have what you have as my Impact is setup in a compact .30 just like your Uragan.

Looks great. I wish I had one but Bullysyclone won't respond to me anymore after our initial conversation so I had to order a Impulse Air. I'd defintely rather have what you have as my Impact is setup in a compact .30 just like your Uragan.
I thought it was only me .. I had to end up buying a YOKOZUNA for my 308 bulldog.. I would realy had prefer to do business with him first .

I've had the Impulse Air in my cart for a longggggg time. I currenlty have Falx and nothing has ever compared so I'm hesitant to buy it. But it's winter and time to tinker.

I find my Evols NEED a $200.00 moderator. They deserve it. It's like buying a Ferrari and bolting on a replica wheel, you just don't. This is an opinion, my opinion.

Also, I will gladly pay $179.00 for this moderator than $140.00 for a donny that MIGHT work as well but will look like a Campbell's chunky soup can hanging off the end.
funny.

to me, i am thinking... while i am going entry level... BACKYARD FRIENDLY is something I think I would like (and i think almost all would like) ALL THE TIME.

No, I am saying that moderating the sound down to a whisper is something all air gunners would like and its apparent that these do the biz.
So it matters not if you've Air venturi of a high end rifle if you wanna be neighbor friendly!
Ahh, my apologies for the misunderstanding! Yes I completely agree!

Reactions: Losmeister
I have read all the responses to this thread. All I can say is how sorry I feel for John at Bullysyclone. I find that many responses were quite cruel. I have been making my own moderators for about 40 years. I have tried many different designs and I know what has worked well for me and what has not. I have also tried a few commercially sold moderators. The reason you don't see Db numbers is that they are hard to measure and reproduce and often mis-leading. In the end, results are unfortunately subjective, so numbers are essentially useless. I also know how much labor goes into making moderators in low volume on manual machines and it is significant. Designs that use a central tube to connect and clamp the moderator together are usually not the best performers. Yes, some do muffle some sound and in my experience it makes little difference if you use packing material or a series of baffles. Virtually all commercial designs use a central tube because it is easier and cheaper to make. Interestingly these central tube designs do not attenuate the pellet/slug's velocity. Also, some of these central tube designs, especially the CNC ones disturb the accuracy because of non-linear turbulence within the central tube. (slanted baffle plates). It is a misconception that the central bore clearance within the moderator has to be tight to be effective. It does not. I have found that diametral clearance to pellet/slug tighter than .020" or .5 mm adds no better performance. I have also noticed that the best performing sound suppressors do attenuate the pellet/slugs speed. The reason being that the column of ambient air in front of the pellet is attenuated as well as the driving pressurized air behind it. This reduces slightly the differential pressure across the pellet when fired. With my current inverted cone baffle design, the velocity reduction is about 40 FPS.. If however you do not use a central tube, the part count goes up substantially for the moderator. You then locate the baffles centrally by using a tight fit on the inside surface of the outer moderator tube. Longitudinally, the baffles must be located by a series of spacers. I use tubes on the three threaded studs that connect the rear end plate to the front end plate. This is all clamped together with 3 Acorn nuts. I do not use any packing material. The last one I made is now used on my Crown. I made it from aluminum. It works very well, but it is 8 inches long and a bit too heavy at about 300 grams.. I now have a GK1 and it was delivered with a Huben "Hush" moderator. That moderator is useless and it cost 190 Euro. I should have known better. I will be making a new one in Carbon Fiber. I have all the materials I need except for some carbon bar stock. I will photograph these parts as I make them and show them and the assembled moderator here when done. I further suggest that all moderators shown and talked about on this forum need to be disassembled and photographed It would be far more useful than Db numbers.

I humbly submit that in the pursuit of HAPPINESS if hanging a silencing cucumber or tomato can works for some, great.
But if one should search out something different or more to their liking using frog skins from their own pocket. There is no transgression in that personal nirvana quest, as long as ones hand is not in the pocket of another for payment. Any business dealing is between a seller and their buyer, everyone else is merely a spectator having no money on the barrelhead of commerce. :unsure: