• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Bullpups – Why Don’t They Give Us a LONGER Air Tube?

Bullpups – Why Don’t They Give Us a LONGER Air Tube?

This is a part 3 in a series on bullpups.
The others are here:
Part 1:
https://www.airgunnation.com/topic/to-some-size-does-matter-and-looks-bullpup-photo-comparison-chart-2/
Part 2:
https://www.airgunnation.com/topic/bullpup-buttstocks-cut-them-off-why-are-they-not-shorter/

I try to be understanding when they tell me they think bullpups are UGLY. They are entitled to their opinion (just like I have opinions of my own.... Like, that their opinion is seriously mistaken – but that’s not the topic of this post, so you may as well allow your blood pressure to go back down to normal levels for now). 

However, most bullpup haters, the lovers, and the in-betweeners probably would agree that the looks of a bullpup design break with many rifle design traditions:
• Bullpups don’t really have a buttstock worth looking at (semi-bullpups try to keep some butt, somehow).
• Bullpups often come in the violently detested black synthetic, that together with a few other non-traditional features gets viciously denounced as the “tacticool look.”
• And most relevant for this article: Airgun bullpups are 99% PCP’s, meaning that they have to have a second “barrel” or bottle to store the air – certainly NOT what a traditional rifle looks like, no matter if AG or PB.
Ergo, for many traditional gun-design lovers, a bullpup makes their eyes bleed. Or at least gives them a case of pupil rash.

So, if the airgun bullpup looks so non-traditional because of the air tube...:
Why do many manufacturers make the air tube shorter than necessary, as if trying to not have “too much of it”?
Can there even be a “too much air tube” on a PCP?!? Because if I’m going to have an air tube hanging under my barrel and mess up traditional rifle looks, then I might as well get it all they way out there to the muzzle, and get myself a load of power, or a load of shots per fill!
I first noticed this air tube stinginess while I was comparing 40 bullpups for the previous posts in this series.

Full Air Tubes
There are some generous manufacturers who give their customers “full length air tubes” that extend almost all the way out to the muzzle. This is one way to maximize air supply.
Also, a full air tube is a protection of the barrel against getting hit when handling the gun in confined spaces or in the woods. I rather have the air tube taking a hit than the sensitive barrel, which would likely change my POI.
By the same token, the really short air tubes make it hard to rest the gun on sandbags as resting the gun on the barrel is not recommended – again for the inadvertent POI change.

Anemic Air Tubes
Then there are some manufacturers who seem to be a lot more stingy when giving their customers air....
The air tubes of their bullpups are short in comparison to the barrel (which is short to begin with on a bullpup, at least the ones under 31" / 81cm). I call those the “anemic air tubes.” Why not help the shooter out and give him/ her more air?
(Sure, for sub-12FPE countries, or those suffering under the inhumane 6FPE restriction in Germany, this isn’t much of an issue.)

Bullpup Photo Comparison Chart – Air Tubes
To illustrate this curious anemic air tube phenomena, below is a sampling of 40 bullpup photos (also as Hi-Res photo for download at the link).

See for yourself how some generous bullpups give you a full air tube, while others are more stingy providing you only with an anemic air tube.

Happy shooting,

Matthias

NOTE 1:  Now, please note that I’m not comparing total air capacity in the tube/ bottle. That’s a related but different issue – here all I’m saying is: I can always use more air – so which bullpup is stiffing me on not extending the air tube all the way to the muzzle?

NOTE 2: As in the other posts, I have not included every bullpup in the airguniverse. Excluded were:
• Bullpups 31" / 80cm or longer (there are a couple of exceptions)
• Evanix Rainstorm 3D Bullpup (even my eyes bleed looking at that one) | Walther Reign (not moderated; with moderator too long) | Leshiy (technically not a bullpup)
The photos and measurements are for .22 bullpups with either shroud or silencer (“moderator”).

LINK for Hi-Res Photo:
https://www.mediafire.com/view/3uy25bev7ns1zdl/Bullpups._Anemic_Air_Tubes._06._HiRes_11.2Mb.jpg/file

Lo-Res:

1572145218_8102694865db50842de5188.60801191_Bullpups. Anemic Air Tubes. 06. LoRes 1.0Mb.jpg

I like the tube or cylinder a touch shorter then my shroud so it’s easier to take off for cleaning purposes. Heck on my r5m long and Uragan compact the tube/cylinder sticks way past the actual barrel with shroud removed

1572146281_3295050895db50c6999f2d7.00312105_image.jpg

Now, that's beautiful (I'm not talking about the feet, nor the stubble of a barrel, but your paint job, just fantastic!). 😊

Here is what I want in my bullpup .22/.25cal

1. cocking lever should me forward or middle like the FX Wildcat, Galahad and EdGun leyla (Matador)

2. minimum hole in hole or clover leaf accuracy at 25 yrds. sub 1 inch at 50 yrds.

3. minimum shot count of no less than 50 shot.

4. Picatinny rail or adaptable to one

I don"t care for looks or aesthetic but be ergonomic. Price I don"t care but not exorbitant. 

Maybe the manufactures think if they put the tube to near muzzle length that some users may put their hand near the end and shoot their fingers. I agree about the barrel taking hits that might be absorbers by the air tube. But think the barrel hit thing is way worse on full length rifles. I have been hunting with a full length PCP this year after using a bullpup for many years, that barrel seems to hit everything. Think I will be going back to my bullpups. Like all the work and study you put in your post. 

I like the tube or cylinder a touch shorter then my shroud so it’s easier to take off for cleaning purposes. Heck on my r5m long and Uragan compact the tube/cylinder sticks way past the actual barrel with shroud removed

Dude that is one SWEET bullpup but for gosh sakes please put your boots on before you take pics 😀

redneck_boot_sandals_brown__11499.1436296221.1000.1200.jpg

Reactions: wyshadow

Dude that is one SWEET bullpup but for gosh sakes please put your boots on before you take pics
1f600.svg

redneck_boot_sandals_brown__11499.1436296221.1000.1200.jpg

I wear composite toe work boots (through goods)12-14 hours a day depending on drive time. I gotta let these puppies air out!

The gun is a Utah Airguns custom that I got for my wife. She loves the gun becouse it’s fairly light, easy to handle and quiet. So far at 20-25 yards I’ve shot a half inch 12 shot group in gusty wind with rain. And 2 separate 5/16 group at 25 yards when it was almost dark. Once I get time I’ll try to shoot some groups and get some speeds. 
1572180541_326173145db5923dbb3773.60229103_07617AF7-CBD5-47AC-8832-6D5A86CDFDCA.jpeg

Longer AT like this. The .22 cal. Colibri. They DID!

Best "user design" ever for a right handed shooter. Short, Lite weight, Fast cocking, Anti-double load, extremely accurate and unavailable.

1572185523_2891292135db5a5b341cd73.53306035_11HummingBird.jpg

Hey, Matthias.  - Your 3 part posts on Bullpups is quite the nice write up.

Bullpups are the only type of guns I own. Leaves room for a longer barrel and a functional moderator/LDC without getting too long. 

Well thanks Matt, after I type this I have to hand over the iPad. The significant other fell in love the boot sandal cross breed. Back on topic, I’ve always wondered how the bottle guns do when “pinned” up against a tree. When squirrel hunting there doesn’t look to be any place to rest the rifle against the tree besides the receiver. Do the bottles do well with sideways pressure or will that eventually cause a leak?

Longer AT like this. The .22 cal. Colibri. They DID!

Best "user design" ever for a right handed shooter. Short, Lite weight, Fast cocking, Anti-double load, extremely accurate and unavailable.

1572185523_2891292135db5a5b341cd73.53306035_11HummingBird.jpg

Hey, Matthias.  - Your 3 part posts on Bullpups is quite the nice write up.

Bullpups are the only type of guns I own. Leaves room for a longer barrel and a functional moderator/LDC without getting too long. 

Amen, and as a plus, my little Bird's side cocker put the R5M mid cocking lever to shame for the short time I had it.

1572194147_160058555db5c76342c9b1.94895628_1-6-17 bird n cricket1.jpg

And the plenum extension on my Cricket brought the airtube out quite a bit. It actually had an underbite before I put a longer shroud on it.

1572194296_16518251965db5c7f86d7433.19528256_Bird n Cricket5.jpg
1572194315_10833916365db5c80b38d0c2.57161668_1-6-17 cricket n bird.jpg

This is how a .177 wildcat with a 300cc airtube (same as the .25 cal model) looks like.
1572197365_6673655155db5d3f5096178.26428225_IMG_20191027_181413[1].jpg

The gun is longer without a moderator attached. But not with one on. The moderator is a weihrauch, and has maybe 0.5mm clearance to the airtube, so it barely fits. The options on what moderator to use is limited. The reason I bought a longer one, is because I managed to damage the thread on the original one, and since I needed a new one anyway, I went for some more air. 

Many guns would probably had the same issue if the tube extended beyond the muzzle, limiting the choice of moderators.