Bullpup Shootout ??

Been looking at bullpups and 2 have caught my eye. The taipan veteran and the wildcat mk3. I’m curious what your opinions are. The wildcat (talking tube compact version) is far more versatile with adjustability as far as the reg and caliber changes are concerned. Better cocking lever placement. Great support center right here in the US. Taipans are damn sexy with those laminate stocks!! Wildcat clearly seems more gun for the money but what do you all think ?

I have never owned a Taipan but all your plusses on the Wildcat are correct. It definitely has many options for future upgrades to caliber and barrel length.
You often see comments in reviews on the Daystate Huntsman on how smooth the cocking is. The Wildcat, mine anyway, is smoother than the Huntsman, I just learned that the other day when shooting both in the basement.
I personally don’t think you would go wrong with the FX.

Reactions: Trucker3573
Simple design built like a truck, CZ barrel & ACCURATE !!!, Anti double feed system, Quiet, and the most reliable and trouble free, long lasting Pup made IMO.
* I work on lots of guns, long & pups ... Own 2 Taipans ;)
Yeah thank you very much. I have seen you around here and GTA and understand you have a tuning business. I’m guessing you have seen inside both and those comments weigh heavily. Makes me think the taipan is something that will probably never need anything more than an o ring. I assume the reg is adjustable if you pull it out of the air tube ? Not that there would ever probably be the need but curious

Reactions: UCChris
Yeah thank you very much. I have seen you around here and GTA and understand you have a tuning business. I’m guessing you have seen inside both and those comments weigh heavily. Makes me think the taipan is something that will probably never need anything more than an o ring. I assume the reg is adjustable if you pull it out of the air tube ? Not that there would ever probably be the need but curious

That's correct. I don't have the experience that Motorhead does, but I can confirm that my Taipan was the most solid feeling airgun I've ever had.

O'yes, been inside both early MUTANTS and later VETERANS many times. Have documented mods and self decided tune tweaks on both threw the years.

O-rings & Poppet head is all your likely to EVER need. Yes Reg is fully adjustable & Huma makes one as well if wanting to swap out.

AND LETS NOT FORGET ... that Trigger and the adjustablity !!!! Sublime :love:

I currently own the Vet Compact in .25. It's a shooter for sure, even with a 13" barrel. A friend has the Standard .25 Vet and its a shooter, too. His gun lost pressure last winter and he asked me if I could re-seal it. Having never done that before, I took my time and with the help from some members here, I managed to repair my buddies gun. Taipans have fewer parts than the FX guns, from what I've read.

I have also owned the Wildcat2 with a 700mm barrel. I guess you could call that a bullpup, but for my liking I would have preferred a 500 mm barrel. I liked the WC2 for how light weight it is, compared to the Taipan.

I'm a left handed shooter but right handed, so I've gotten used to putting my check on the cocking lever of the Taipan. The WC# has a much larger mag, fed from the right side of the stock. That would be a deal breaker for my shooing position.

I personally think the Taipans are build like a tank and there's more anchor points for the barrel, the FX. guns I've owned seemed like they needed to be treated a little more gently.

Getting parts for the Taipans aren't as easy as getting parts from FX USA.

I spend a lot of time recommending the Taipan Veteran because I believe in it...I've owned Mk1 Wildcats .22 and .25 great guns and up until FX stopped putting walnut/laminate stocks on 'em I was a fan but I would crawl over a pile of any Wildcats to get to my Veteran...I consider WCs "light duty" construction Vets heavy duty with a solid barrel and a trigger no WC I've ever seen could match. Look at the difference in the cocking lever pins...my guns aren't with me now, I will post pix later...if your comersating over this discisen do what would do...get 'em both!

i agree with rm100guy! I’ve owned both, and while the wildcat is a very versatile and lightweight option, my vet never lost its zero, never failed to shoot at the velocity I set it to, and is much much heavier duty than the wildcat. In my opinion, you buy a bullpup for the compact size to go out whether at the farm or woods walking. They both do this well, but if you were to drop them both while walking, the vet will brush it off and shoot exactly the same. The wildcat will need some tlc to put it back on track.

Trucker,
Got both, what's been stated is accurate, my collection will never be without. My MK3 Wildcat Sniper .30 dispensed many crows, with distinction. Today, few crows brave any distance closer than 80 yards, many gathering in an old pine @ 130 yards. Decided an AGT Uragan 2 (700mm) .30 is better suited than trying to "power-up" the Wildcat. To own a Taipan is to love a Taipan, at least for me, my dream is synthetic stock and .30 availability. WM

Reactions: UCChris
I have both a FX wild Cat with 700mm barrel in 25 cal, My taipan is Veteran Long also .25 cal. I use the FX for long rang Prairie Dog shooting. My Taipan is much to pretty for that, I love both guns both are very accurate, like the others said the Tiapan is built like a tank, have not had a bit of trouble with ether one. If I was in your shoes and buying for first time I would go with the Tiapan, first then the FX , or you could do what I did and get both.

Taipan VS FX Bobcat cocking lever pins.
I spend a lot of time recommending the Taipan Veteran because I believe in it...I've owned Mk1 Wildcats .22 and .25 great guns and up until FX stopped putting walnut/laminate stocks on 'em I was a fan but I would crawl over a pile of any Wildcats to get to my Veteran...I consider WCs "light duty" construction Vets heavy duty with a solid barrel and a trigger no WC I've ever seen could match. Look at the difference in the cocking lever pins...my guns aren't with me now, I will post pix later...if your comersating over this discisen do what would do...get 'em both!

Veteran VS FX cocking lever pins.
20230210_135014.jpg
20230210_135128.jpg

There's fans of both platforms.
I have both guns, in their "compact" forms. I "like" the small additional weight of the Taipan, BUT I'm NOT a fan of the rear cocking lever. I've used the gun with the lever on either side...don't like it.
Trigger difference...yeah...no, no big deal, either way, despite the fanboys (people that rave about something !) raving. Don't see it myself. It's no better than any other quality trigger action, after being well adjusted.

I'd vote for the Wildcat.

Mike

I’ve never owned a taipan …but I have a wildcat bt with a 500mm barrel and a 580cc bottle. The Donny tanto allow just enough clearance between the bottle and shroud.

With the 500mm barrel it got comfortably output 52fpe. And currently have it tuned with 17gr nsa slugs at 985 fps. Very compact, lightweight gun for that kind of power. Tears ragged holes at 100y’s with that tiny slug. And tons of shots.

The trigger is a true two stage adjustable trigger, unlike other FX trigger designs.

While I’m a left handed shooter….it’s not ideal with the mag sticking out that side. But I make it work. Overall, I like the gun. It’s a fairly robust design especially with the shorter barrels.