• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Bullpup or carbine options?

Over the last week I've been looking at just about every buildup and carbine on the market. I see things I like, like the cocking on the FX rifles and on the Vulcans. So I've decided that sometime this year I'm going to get one. So I need a bit of help to narrow down my choices.

I'm searching for something regulated, preferably synthetic stock, preferably under 8lbs, fairly quiet, and that will fit someone of my statue at 5ft 4. So can some owners or previous owners give me some feedback to help me find the right rifle for me?

I had the same questions/concerns a month ago about the advantages/disadvantages of the BullPup vs the Carbine. Rear cocking was a big deal. I went with a .25 caliber WAR Flex and could not be happier. Mine is tuned for 72 shots at about 808fps with King Heavies (897 w/25.4's) and is a tack driver at 50yds. Need to stretch it out as soon as I get room to. I am 6'1 and it "fits" me great. If does have a collapsible stock. For me I had it narrowed down to the Flex and Vulcan Tactic, and decided to go American made. Can't tell you how many times I have talked with the owner on the phone, just don't see that happening with any of the other options.

Check out the Brocock Compatto in 0.22 caliber. While it's unregulated, it gets 30 shots per fill, synthetic stock, lightweight (6.9 lbs), fast and easy to fill with a hand pump, super accurate (one hole groups at 35 yards for me), and it's designed as a semi-bullpup (the only one on the market). It's also quiet and comes with a Huggett moderator. I love mine and have taken out a lot of pests with it in the short time I've had it. Puts out about 27 ft lbs of energy at the muzzle as well. 

Once again for me more information would be needed to make a good recommendation. Are you planning to do just plinking, target shooting or hunting. If hunting what are you hunting and what hunting style used. By that I mean will you be sitting in one place and taking an occasional shot or many shots or doing a lot of walking searching for game. That will determine fpe needed, shots needed per fill and whether the weight and length of the rifle might be a factor. Also nowadays I really like having a side lever cocking action too. Bill

I'd like to do some hunting, but it would only be small game or pests. The farm lands where I have permission are quite large, with the smallest being about 30 acres so weight would be an issue. Also the one piece of land has at least 3 creeks surrounded by brush I'd need to cross on occasion. 

Pests that I'd be after range from starlings all the way up to raccoons on the rare occasion. So I've been leaning more toward a .22, but if I find the format works well for me then I'd probably also get a .25 afterwards.

imagejpeg

i own both. decided on wildcat 22. but was on backorder for months. needes to satisfy itch. got vulcan tactic 25. out of box, vulcan is a sweet shooter, loud, hits hard, accurate, cocking knob in a good position. finally wildcat came in. smaller, lighter, much handier then the vulcan tactic. i find the vulcan cocking bolt has a more confortable position but not as smooth as a lever action (after some tuning). wildcat didnt come with chrono string results. vulcan had testing done prior to shipping. both rifles bought new from respectable vendors. out of box wildcat also had "magazine indexing issue". i spent some time tuning her. shooting 16gr jsb @ 930 fps. 18gr jsb @ 890 fps. it prefers the 18gr. magazine now indexes smoothly. and the FX wildcat is my "go-to" gun. only time i grab vulcan is if i need power. vulcan tactic also easier (or more "forgiving") to shoot due to its weight and length. but the wildcat is so much more handy, light, easy to carry. it is so simple and easy, making it such a pleasure to shoot. that being said also want a fx impact to tinker with!

summary. out of box ready to go. vulcan!
some tuning and time invested. labor of love. wildcat!

imagejpeg

I don't absolutely need a synthetic stock, but I tend to prefer those over wood because they have less of a chance of getting banged up. Another thing is I'm not certain exactly how a bullpup will shoulder compared to the Marauder's and BT65's I own. That being said it looks like the possible choices I have are a Cricket .22 or .25 standard, a Vulcan or Vulcan Tactic in either caliber, a Wildcat in either caliber, a Taipan Mutant, or go heavy with a Bobcat.

Vulcan Tactic and Bobcat for me would be at the higher weigh end of the spectrum. The regular Vulcan BP is less appealing because of the sound several people mention that comes from the breech when it fires. When it comes to the Cricket I have some reservations about it not having a safety, and the rear lever action on it. Of course the Taipan has that same disadvantage. Then there is the Wildcat and how people have mentioned some trigger issues and magazine indexing problems, but then again those are nothing that can't be fixed. The Bobcat's only other disadvantage for me is the price of the magazines. Potentially losing a $100 magazine is definitely more of a nerve wracking ordeal than losing a $40 one.

Keep in mind I'm not opposed to working on my own rifles. I've done so when it came to installing SSG's on my Marauders, and replacing the one valve part that went bad on the .22 Marauder I have. I've also done a fair bit of tinkering with a AT44S that I just sold that I put a regulator in, and did the 3 hole mod on.