• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Bullpup conversions

After looking for the ideal bullpup and running into issues I’m thinking about converting a long gun. I have seen a couple marauder builds online, but that’s not a side lever. I have a mill, lathe, and waterjet. I have made centerfire rifles in the past. What would be a good candidate to shorten up?

looking for ideas here.

Well, thats a pretty tall order to build the ideal Bullpup with no issues, that's better than the current available crop...

To be on par with the top line Bullpups is going to take a lot of work, innovation and skill.

To beat the top line Bullpups you'd need to create a trigger group on par with the sweet state of the art trigger on the Taipan, a side lever like the Vulcan, the weight and shot capacity of the Wildcat with the power of a Taipan long and beautiful stocks like the Cricket. And thats just the start of a long list of "ideal" features needed to be the ideal Bullpup imo...

Not saying it can't be done, just that Scandinavia, and the Eastern European countries have been perfecting their Air Rifles for a long time and imo have great crop in 2020 to choose from....

jmo

Well, thats a pretty tall order to build the ideal Bullpup with no issues, that's better than the current available crop...

To be on par with the top line Bullpups is going to take a lot of work, innovation and skill.

To beat the top line Bullpups you'd need to create a trigger group on par with the sweet state of the art trigger on the Taipan, a side lever like the Vulcan, the weight and shot capacity of the Wildcat with the power of a Taipan long and beautiful stocks like the Cricket. And thats just the start of a long list of "ideal" features needed to be the ideal Bullpup imo...

Not saying it can't be done, just that Scandinavia, and the Eastern European countries have been perfecting their Air Rifles for a long time and imo have great crop in 2020 to choose from....

jmo

I’m not implying ideal for everyone by any means. I meant ideal for me. I want small, light, side lever, and cheap hahah

K. -

Are you looking at a full inclosed (Ataman, BP17) or an open "chassis" (FX Impact) design ? I don't own the Impact, but do like my BP17.

Looks and overall feel wise, I like my BP17. A more open semi-inclosed design that I really like is the Uragan Compact (another proper length bullpup). It also feels good at the shoulder, shoots well. The Wildcat (line) Mk III is just barely a Bullpup by real bullpup standards because it's on the longer side, but you could fix that during the design phase of your gun. I like BP17, Lelya 2 and the Uragan Compact's, mid-front, "left side" cocking lever. You don't have to change your grip to cock the gun. Removing your right hand (right hand shooter) from the grip is counter intuitive to good follow up shots without taking a long time to grip and readjust again..

Another semi-enclosed, but different design the Lelya 2. A proper bullpup length, solid as a rock, shoots well. though the cocking mechanism could have been done a little better.

Seems you need to settle on an overall design, then find a full length rifle that could be rebuilt into...that envelope. Then start cutting metal.

MIke

After looking for the ideal bullpup and running into issues I’m thinking about converting a long gun. I have seen a couple marauder builds online, but that’s not a side lever. I have a mill, lathe, and waterjet. I have made centerfire rifles in the past. What would be a good candidate to shorten up?

looking for ideas here.

It is possible to build a side lever Marauder bullpup. Here is an example,

1592024477_18778249345ee45d9d84c339.41043554.jpeg

looking for ideas here.

It is possible to build a side lever Marauder bullpup. Here is an example,

1592024477_18778249345ee45d9d84c339.41043554.jpeg

Well that looks like it checks absolutely every box! Sweet rig