• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Bullpup/Compact PCP For Hunting

Hi Everyone, new guy here w typical new guy questions, just want to start by saying thanks to everyone for the wealth of info on this forum. 

I’m in the market for a “high end” PCP for hunting rabbits and turkey (and any quail unfortunate enough to cross my path). Maybe even bobcat and pig. I also like going to the range from time to time to plink, though that is definitely not my primary focus. I currently have a Gamo Urban that I bought just to get my toes wet, but now I think I have a pretty good idea of what I want in a rifle so it’s time upgrade.

My kind of hunting involves riding a dirt bike out into the forest and then hiking/stalking, so a small platform is key. Weight is also a factor, as is the ability to shoot off hand. Shots per fill is also a factor because I may camp out for 2-3 days without the ability to refill. I also want enough power to be able to ethically take turkey w a body shot (their heads move around a lot).

This all led me to look heavily into the FX Maverick in .25. I like that it’s been designed w heavy pellets/slugs in mind. However, after spending some time on the forum it’s becoming clear that the Maverick is but one of many options. 

What other rifles should I look into? And would it be wise to step up to .30 or larger caliber? Are slugs the way to go or just a lot of hype? 

Thanks again! 
-T 

Taipan Veteran Compact
.25 cal
pellet shooter, forget slugs for now
small carbon fiber air refill tank
* I am pretty sure you can get 40 shots (four magazines) on a fill with this gun

Not at all sure about 40 shots lasting two+ days (impossible for me) but maybe someone can otherwise your gonna need a tank to refill. Even if the shot count was double or triple it ain't enough for the dirt bike + camping trip you are talking about.

Taipan Veteran Compact
.25 cal
* I am pretty sure you can get 40 shots (four magazines) on a fill with this gun

Not at all sure about 40 shots lasting two+ days (impossible for me) but maybe someone can otherwise your gonna need a tank to refill. Even if the shot count was double or triple it ain't enough for the dirt bike + camping trip you are talking about.

Lots of recommendations for the Taipan Veteran Compact, looks sweet! I actually don’t think 40 shots is a deal breaker, I’ll have to pack out whatever I harvest so I can’t get too trigger happy. Thanks for the info!

I hunt with my Huben .25 using JSB heavy at 70flbs kills everything

Nice ok I’ll check that out, thank you! 

Personally, I would not hunt some of those larger critters with an air rifle, but that's your decision. As for the choice of a bull pup, Taipan Veteran without doubt, especially over anything made by FX. I'm not sure if any standard Taipan barrel will handle slugs well, but I would not need slugs for anything I would hunt with it. 

As much as I love my veteran, I gotta disagree with the idea of a taipan being a wood walking/hunting gun. It’s light in weight you are looking for and a taipan is too heavy. My ideal gun for that purpose right now is an avenger, a six pounder gun.

Taipan Compact weight = 6.6lbs
I am pretty sure .6lbs is not a deal breaker when one considers the reliability of the Taipan... if your gonna carry something it should be AWESOME.

Wow lots of responses, thanks everyone! I agree that some of those animals listed are probably better suited for my powder burner, I’ll stick with turkey size and under 😆

While weight is important, it’s really the portability that I’m after. Any standard rifle would be to long and cumbersome I think. 

Taipan still seems to be the favorite. Those w experience w the Huben K1, is it reliable out of the box? Seems like relatively new tech in those guns. How long have they been in production now?

Please do read up on turkey anatomy before using a body shot in them. I've multiple pictures of birds I've harvested that had pellet and .22 rimfire wounds from previous seasons.

The meat was unusable, yet you couldn't tell from the living bird that it was so deteriorated.

My daughter killed a bird with a back shot, 30 cal slug from an uragan, through the liver. Any side shot will very likely not put it down. I use .177 to 30 cal on birds, and use the top of the head above the eye down to the bottom of the neck as a possible target. Breaking the neck puts them down. That's a fair target and you'll find that even a slight agitated bird within range is doable. 

Neck shots 

https://youtu.be/6silif55qLs

https://youtu.be/mG00L_6781k

+1 on the taipan- rugged enough for a dirt bike, as accurate as any out there

I have personally had a bad experience with the Maverick Compact I bought, so my opinion of them is badly biased. But you really can't go wrong with an Impact Compact in my opinion. I like them the very best of the whole Impact line. I tried my new M3 at the range without the moderator for the first time recently. It is only a .22, but after trying it out I found that the mod really isn't needed - so it becomes a very compact and handy little powerhouse with a great shot count. The ground squirrels trying to destroy our safety berms up at the range just hate it!😁

Your profile says that you live in CA and your user name includes 805. Are you in the 805 Central Coast area? If so maybe we could meet up and you could try out one of my Impact Compacts? Or WC MkIII?

Hope I'm not hijacking the thread here?

Turkeys are a bit feathery, and when taking new shooters out for turkey ( I take a few new shooters out each year) I keep it simple- The eye to the bottom of the neck...

That area described as "where the neck joins the body" is a bit blurry, with the crop and an S shaped neck bone complicating things, depending on what angle you are shooting the bird at.

The hardest thing with airguns is range estimation and even with a rangefinder , the bird is often moving - having the forgiveness of about 3" vertical means you can concentrate on centering the shot into a column about 1" wide. Even if you miss the bone, I've jugularred a few birds and that stops them as well. 

You can tell the difference from the two hits- a neck bone shot will send the bird onto its back, with its feet up in the air.

A jugular shot results in the bird frantically turning in circles, confused and ready for you to brain him on his next time round.

Don't rush a bleeding bird or his instincts will be to flee. On any shot, I don't rush to the bird- let them pass onto the great turkey grounds in the sky; they might not have even heard your shot and you can safely dispatch them while they are still in your county. These aren't quail or grouse where you go up and twist their necks if wounded. They can do some damage and or leave the general AO.

Eye to the bottom of the neck and you can't go wrong. Even if the bird is going straight away, you will put the bird down. 

Here are some pictures I've taken of "pre-shot" birds that I've put down, unaware they had been perforated earlier.

Clip_8283 09.38 Jun. 08.1623170339.jpg
Clip_8282 09.38 Jun. 08.1623170352.jpg
Clip_8281 09.37 Jun. 08.1623170368.jpg
Clip_8284 09.40 Jun. 08.1623170449.jpg

Turkey spur to a hand

Clip_8285 09.43 Jun. 08.1623170609.jpg

Taipan Veteran Compact
.25 cal

I was quite happy to see Taipan as the first recommendation. 

I have a huben for 3 months now and about 2500 shots thru it and it's been reliable and super fun. Easy to tune with a plethora of adjustment. Very powerful and compact for me. If you do not want to mess around with tuning tell Kelly at Krazy cool guns what pellet and speed you want and he'll set it up for you before it leaves his door. BTW great guy to deal with