Bullpup air rifles? Which one? FX Wilcat, Kalibr, Brocock, ...

For cheap plinking and close shots, I'm thinking something like a Diana AM03 in 0.177. However, longer shots on larger varmints or predators, I'm thinking either a 0.22 or 0.25 PCP.

I want something that isn't overly long and has the center of gravity between my hands or farther back. This has me thinking a bullpup is the place to be.

From shopping online ONLY, I'm thinking about Brocock options, the FX Wildcat, and the Kalibr Cricket. I'm not sure about the electronics in Daystate and, I'm probably overlooking a few others. How do I choose or decide about one versus the other? I think I need something a bit more than 30FPE but, I also think over ~50 FPE is a bit much as that starts to intrude on rimfire ballistics and gets to be a bit too much damage with a miss in some areas I would be shooting. When Possums get to ~30~40 yards I'm thinking ~40FPE with an appropriate pellet or slug would do the job.

What factors or features should I consider when selecting my first PCP bullpup? What other brands should I consider? $2,000 is too much but, I expect to pay somewhere between $1,000 and $1,500 though that isn't a hard limit. I have a reasonable scope to start with so, other than the mount I think I only need to account for the air supply and some pellets. Am I missing something else?

TIA,

Sid

Theres a 22 P15 on the classifieds for $500. I would recommend that one if the seller can GUARANTEE you won't be disappointed in its ACCURACY and NOTHINGS WRONG with it.

I have 3 of them and one needed a replacement barrel. The other 2 seem fine a 177 and 22. 2 are Skyhawks One 177 and one 22 and one is a P15 in 22 and it shoots fine.

They are light weight and very well balanced and I do own most other bullpups for comparison and these P15 and Skyhawk are my top choice no matter the price difference between the Impact and Bobcat and Wildcat and Cricket and Veteran and Mutant and Brocock and Ataman and HW100 and Vulcan and Uragan and Pulsar and Renegade and Edgun (oh except the Lelya which would be my second choice) and Zbroia and Kral and LCS SK19 (hmmm maybe this is number one) and Huben and Steyr PRO-X (hmm maybe this is number one) and I don't have a Priest nor Prophet yet so can't comment on those.

It's the light weight and excellent balance that sold me.

I'd offer $400 maybe $450 max since I think $500 is pushing it for a plain P15 and not the Diana Skyhawk nicer stock but still very functional. Get an accuracy guarantee first.

Even a single shot P12 would do for $300-$350.

Good luck.

25 gives more lee way on less than perfect shots. fx wildcat - easiest to use , light , about 42 FPE stock out of the box. cricket is very good gun also but loading mag can be a bit awkward , rear cocking lever.taipan veteran. same rear cocking lever , but also power adjustable. if your pesting off a bench or table. all work well. if you are walking around , weight becomes an issue , wildcat does weigh less. 

all these models work in 22 as well , quite effectively.

You really can't go wrong with either of those guns you mentioned, just really depends on what you'd like to get out of your gun at this point (external adjuster, total length, barrels, you can get really deep here). Usually, .22's deliver upwards of 30 FPE, while .25's can deliver into the 45 FPE range, although each of these guns can be adjusted too, to lower their power or slightly increase the power if needed (Slugs will add power/range to these numbers, but not all guns shoot slugs well, or are picky about certain grain sizes). If it were me, I'd opt straight for the .25; you get some nice option on pellets and slugs in that caliber. I can't knock the .22 either, it's actually my favorite for my guns intentions. 

One other brand I'd also recommend is Taipan Veteran. I hear nothing but positive remarks on them. Otherwise, I'd recommend to look deeply into those guns/specs you mentioned and pinpoint exactly what you're looking to get out of the gun. I think you'll be happy with you purchase regardless. 

One thing I look for in the pups is the ability to single load... especially when shooting from the bench. Testing different pellets, etc. I believe a lot of these pups “have” to be shot from the magazine. Also the rear cocking on some is a non-starter for me. The semi-bull pup design of the Brococks is the sweet spot. 34.5 inches OAL and sweet rifle-like handling and shooting in a not “too” small package. Boringly reliable and accurate.

If you are shooting offhand or moving around- get a wildcat- smaller and lighter with perfectly placed cocking lever. However, its hard to shoot off a bag due to its weight and just not being made for that. I suspect thats true of the other compact bullpups.

If you are shooting off a bag, my advice is to get a Brocock. I have a Bantam Hi-Lite that with the hybrid bullpup design sits great on the bag or any number of rests, and its light and short enough to go into the field. Easier to single load too. Proven 20'' LW barrel. Lots of .25 options for hunting like the polymag, hades, baracuda extreme, fx hybrid. Or you can pop in some lighter domes for target work. The non-HP models don't have the juice of a wildcat, cricket, taipan, or edgun FYI.

One thing I look for in the pups is the ability to single load... especially when shooting from the bench. Testing different pellets, etc. I believe a lot of these pups “have” to be shot from the magazine. Also the rear cocking on some is a non-starter for me. The semi-bull pup design of the Brococks is the sweet spot. 34.5 inches OAL and sweet rifle-like handling and shooting in a not “too” small package. Boringly reliable and accurate.

I could be mistaken but, both the FX Wildcat and the Brocock options have standard loading trays. Other than testing pellet samplers, probably not a bit issue for me but who knows, maybe I'll get into Benchrest someday. Good point on rear cocking, with shoulder surgery that is likely a non-starter for me.

Brococks seem attractive and the barrels on the FX Wildcat are attractive so, I'm mainly focused on those two. FX does seem to have wider dealer and aftermarket support so that is attractive to me. Brocock though has an attractive package which seems like a really good choice too.

Call me a FX fanboy but I my vote goes to the wildcat mk3. FX simply nailed the details on their guns especially the latest model. Large mag capacity, easy loading, good build quality, forward cocking lever, good power. Lots of options and can change caliber easily if you wish and deadly accurate with the new superior liner that even shoots slugs well. 

only other guns I would recommend would be edgun Layla or madador. I don’t like LCS SK19 because it’s semiautomatic and can’t be uncocked making it it a little unsafe to me, maybe there is a way to do it that I don’t know. 

I consider myself more of a hunter then a benchrest shooter and if I were in your situation, I would choose these three .25 caliber guns for predator hunting:

- edgun R5M standard. Forward cocking and has plenty power stock. Could get alot more if you have Brian power tune it and/or get the long or super long version. Second lightest of three.

- fx wildcat. I have the gen 1 and if the latest ones are better, then even better. Forward cocking and it's very smooth, light, and fast for quick follow up shots. With a little work yourself, you could make this gun 58+ ft-lbs. The lightest and cheapest of the three.

- Brocock bantam HP. I have the .22 28 ft-lbs version. If this gun were regulated and could get atleast 45 ft-lbs, it would be an awesome carbine gun. The best handling gun of the three. It fits my frame the best. Goldie-locks gun. Not too long or not to short. I think the HP version is called the commander

Thanks! The Brocock Sniper XR Magnum and FX Wildcat III are where I'm focused at the moment. A long time ago when I was in the market and looking at a Compatto, the magazines were the one thing that held me back as they seemed to be a bit of a problem. The new generation FX Wildcat is very attractive right now so, I'm initially inclined to go there with its lighter weight and new magazines. I'm sure I'd be happy with the Brocock Sniper as well but it is a bit heavier and the FX modularity seems to be a bit better.

While I know you are focused on the Bullpups, I would suggest taking a look at the Crown Continuum. I have one in .22 with a synthetic stock. With the 380mm barrel it is incredibly light, short, and ergonomically perfect (at least for me). Using JSAB 18.1 gr pellets I get power between 28 and 32 Ft Lbs, with the power Wheel between “2” and “5”. It is laser accurate (using the standard STX liner since I haven’t yet purchased a Superior liner) out to 50 yards and maybe more, but I haven’t shot it at longer than that.

Plus, when I need more power, or to play bench rest sniper, I put on the 700mm barrel and use heavier pellets or slugs to shoot sub-MOA groups at 100 yards. I get up to about 49 Ft. Lbs energy with the 700 barrel and JSB Jumbo Monster Redesigns (25.4 gr).

Chris

If you want a single shot tray, the Wildcat III does not offer one. I bought one off Ebay that was recommended on here and it looks nice, fits, but won't work. My 2 Taipan Vets both come with a single shot tray and they get used the most by me. The AirForce guns, all being single shot are easy to load as well. My TalonP set up in carbine configuration is my travel gun that I take to the lake for groundhogs and is really good for that!

I don't believe you will find a better bullpup than a Taipan Veteran. It is accurate, robust build, great trigger, great magazine system and single shot tray, quiet, easy to adjust tune. It is only the second rifle I have owned that shoots as well with the magazine as single shot. It and the HW100 share the same basic mag design, a simple mechanically advanced cylinder, no springs. It's only feature of potential concern is weight. My Standard laminate with 30mm scope weighs 10.5 pounds. If the weight is manageable, I believe you would like it.