• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Bullpup $1,500 - $2,000

Newbie here looking for some recommendations.
Wasted my time so far with an NP2 Trail, Gamo Whisper and a .22 Mrod 

I am now looking for a quiet, accurate bullpup in .22 for hunting and target price.
For this price, it should be accurate at 50yd. I won't be cheap and probably spend an additional $400-500 on a good scope.

I was really ready to purchase the FX Impact from AoA but I've read so many posts with bad experiences, due to leaks (those posts are mid 2016)
Has FX addressed these issues ? Anyone got an Impact recently and still had issues?
I especially liked the Impact's high shot count for target practice at the lower power setting.
Many thanks!

IMHO......either a Taipan Mutant .22 "standard" or Edgun R3M .22 standard. 

Taipan has an excellent trigger, mag indexing, hammer spring tension adjustment (don't have to take stock off) and it is quiet. Edgun is a bit finicky in those areas but has a great look. Edgun may edge it out in accuracy but its very close. Overall the MUTANT is hard to beat. 

Do some research and good luck. 

Regards, 

DT 

PS I think the FX is overly complicated compared to either offering above. 

Another vote for the Mutant for the reasons stated above. When a used one goes up for sale which is not very often they generally sell within hours of posting. I bought my shorty used and the seller had multiple calls within minutes of posting the ad. I just happened to see the ad within seconds of it going up and called immediately otherwise it would have been gone. If you opt for an older Mutant make sure it has the CZ barrel or a good high quality replacement barrel. There were some older guns that shipped with a lower quality barrel. Most of those have had the barrel replaced (mine is one of them) by now, but I'm sure there are still some floating around. For the money its very tough to beat the Mutants. 

I have an early Impact and have never had a problem with the gun. The adjustability is amazing and it is capable of shooting .24" groups at 50 yards in .25 caliber. 

The forums will tell you all of the bad aspects of a gun. There have been a few people with leaks, but they just happen to be the vocal people that post all of their problems. If you look into it there are many more happy impact owners than ones that have had issues. 

From my readings all over the forums the go to guns if you want a quiet, accurate, bullpup rifle in .22 the only choices are the cricket and the mutant. If i were in your shoes it would basically comes down to aesthetics and a few other features. I would go with the cricket synthetic stock. Has on board mag holders, affordable mags, long proven track record, great trigger. The only con seems to be a finicky mag loading procedure which I think is a non issue. Mutant seems great all around but lacks the support of a company like kalibrgun. Wildcat gives you a forward cocking lever but to me comes with a couple extra downsides in terms of its rail and mag capacity. Impact to me is only good if you are an advanced user with lots of shooting infrastructure to get it dialed in, seems unnecessary to me unless you shoot multi caliber and even then it's a cash and time cow. Vulcan and Priest are louder without extras dues to their very small size but still awesome guns.

You will do well with whatever you get because you don't seem to be trying to go the cheap route. Good luck with your purchase. 

FX Impact, my dad just got one. Im highly impressed. I also have two wildcats (.22/.25) IMO they need a hugget or some form of moderator to quite them down. Also have the R3 Matador edgun - it is special in its own right, but with the advancement in bull pups, i wouldn't buy it now (got it when they first came out and waited 2yrs to get it in my hands). The Impact is better IMO, the side cocking lever is effortless, the 18rnd mag is awesome compared to a single shot setup, and its very air efficient.

should also not I had a Daystate Regal XL .22 - awesome gun as well (very quite, very accurate, light, .5lb trigger pull) but again I prefer the wildcat over it

I too am worried about all the issues folks are having with the Impact. That, and they're ugly. ;) They're function over form, sure, but for that kind of money, I want nice cosmetics too.

My choices would be, in this order:
  1. FX Bobcat Mk. II - Adjustable power bullpup; seems to do everything well
  2. Edgun Matador (latest version) - Accurate, nicest stock lines of any bullpup, IMO and it's The Original PCP Bullpup.
  3. FX Wildcat - If you can do without adjustable power, this one has a bit nicer lines than the Bobcat. I just feel like in the over $1k price range, we have a right to expect adjustable power. It's handy sometimes, esp. if you want it to be a do-it-all gun.
    [/LIST=1]
    I bought a Kral Puncher Breaker and had it tuned and a regulator added. I got my adjustable power and regulation; on paper, it has everything... In reality, it's a nice gun, but the action, moderator and trigger aren't quite in the same league as the high-dollar PCP bullpups.

Thanks all, for your input. I've been getting quite an education reading this forum in the past few days.
The Cricket seems to fit my requirements and aesthetics better. The forward lever seems more ergonomic in the Wildcat but the lower count magazine, cylinder volume and rail are negatives for me. 

In the meantime, I am looking for a good scope and a pump until I find some good deals on used scuba tanks.
Any recommendations for scopes and pumps?
Do I need any special adapters for the cricket?
Also any particular pellets that the Cricket prefers?
Thanks again.

Vulcan Tactic .25 with side lever is the best PCP I've ever had.
ef65553c396c76367e94a66a41adc7a6.jpg

75 Yards. Nine shots
f8444362906ea0b0fbee8996753d48ba.jpg

In case y'all were curious .. got myself a Cricket from Georgia Airguns. It's incredibly accurate (.24" CTC at 50 yards) and quiet.
Super happy with it and the decision to order from Charlie Frear. I would whole-heartedly recommend his services. For this price, the whole boutique experience (tuned and tested gun, mounted and sighted scope, customized gun case with accessories) is a no brainer.
Thank you all for your suggestions.