Benjamin Bulldog m357 compressor suggestion

I just order a m357 bulldog from pyramid air it's on back order but I got to use the 20% discount on selected Crosman products. It was about $800 out the door and included a free hand pump. This will be my first pcp. i owned alot of powder burner but no pcp. Any suggestion for compressor ammo, and scope. I'm planning on using this on coyotes in a greenhouse about 400ft distance is the furthest. Any advice is appreciated.

Scopes and compressors for airgun use have came a long way in the past five years. For what your after, depending on the law's of the area, I would look at a night vision unit because it will work both day and night. A low to medium power will give the better resolution in the low budget scope, especially if you plan on getting one with recording abilities. Since you have got a free pump coming I'd suggest hand pumping for a while to see how much you use the gun. Air in a big bore goes quickly if you shoot a lot. If you don't shoot a lot then the free pump is cheap compared to the investment into even a small compressor. Keep in mind, there are a lot of good light duty electric pumps that are a pretty good investment for the most part that fill off a car battery even.

On a different note, 125 yards is a decent distance for shooting accurately with pellets. You may want to tune it for a decent weight slug instead. Check out this member's selection of swaged ammo to find a particular weight of slug that the gun likes. He may still sell sample packs instead of buying whole boxes at $20.00 each to test and tune with.

https://nielsenspecialtyammo.com/store/35-caliber/

The M357 can shot 81 grain JSB diabolo pellets at over 1000fps for a magazine (5-shots) roughly between 190-216 fpe at the muzzle. I haven’t shot these pellets beyond 50 yards. If you can shot them accurately with consistency, they are more than capable of killing a coyote. I suggest testing them at your intended shooting distances. I have no idea how they perform at 100 yards or beyond.

If you go with NSA slugs, the lightest I’d use in this gun is the 110 grain hollow point. They can be shot well over 900 fps (I got to 982 fps on the first shot) from this rifle. From my testing I would stay between 110 grain and 155 grain slugs. For your intended use (400’), I suggest trying 140-145 grain boattails slugs. I like Griffin airgun slugs for my M357. They make some really nice .357 hollow point boattail slugs. Compres to NSA slugs, Griffins have a thinner wall. I’m hoping that they get better expansion. If I can recover one, I’ll take a photo so we can see how it expands. In my testing, slugs above 155 grains begin to get too long for the magazine to cycle meaning that they will load into the first opening, but you won’t be able to advance the magazine to load another slug. It appears that the limit for slug length is around 0.75”. Beyond that then they must be single-loaded by hand.

As for a compressor, do your due diligence. It’s your money to spend, but when asking that question it’s best to state your budget. I’d suggest a Bauer Junior II, Alkin W31 Mariner, or a Coltri Icon MCH-6; these are tried and true breathing-air quality compressors meant to fill SCBA tanks. There are threads about them and discussing them on AGN. I started out with the .357 Benjamin Bulldog. I first bought a SCBA tank and got it filled at a dive shop for about a year. Then I got a portable Benjamin Traveler compressor. I rarely used it. Then I graduated to a top tier breathing air quality HPA compressor to fill my SCBA tank and have zero regrets about my purchase. For big bores, I think keeping a SCBA tank nearby is necessary if you intend to shoot a lot.

With the Bulldog M357 you’ll get 4-5 good shots depending upon the projectile and fill pressure. I’d hate to do that much hand pumping, especially when shooting to test ammo. My last time out with the M357 I shot about 60 rounds. Here’s a thread in which I tested ammo with the M357.

Last edited:
Buba,
Congrats on your purchase, hope the wait isn't long. The Yong Heng compressor is popular for those unable, or unwilling, to put out the big dollars ($1,000 plus) for a high end one. Not considered portable, most will fill a SCBA tank with YH for away missions. Tri-power (12v,110,220) compressors with high-speed fan only cooling have a limited lifespan (20-25 hours) with questionable rebuild success. The GX series are geared lower to generate less compressor-killing heat, so a longer lifespan seems reasonable. Here's my YH Florida garage set-up, everything except stool, water bucket, water pump/hoses and green ice bottles is permanent. Total cost less than $400, over 30 hours, still going strong. WM
IMG_20220322_203924.jpg

My bulldog that I modded (more velocity than m357) really liked the 145 grain griffin boat tails . I had one set up for pellets but 80yd was it. Not sure how the m357 is but the best mods I did for my bulldogs was barrel supports and recrowning the barrel .
I had a really cheap 300$ compressor at first. It worked fine and was portable. Took a while to fill. No filling tanks with it. Then I purchased a big liquid cooled auto shut off/exhaust unit and I love it . I do like the cheap portable one if I go to a friend's house because tanks aren't enough .

My bulldog that I modded (more velocity than m357) really liked the 145 grain griffin boat tails . I had one set up for pellets but 80yd was it. Not sure how the m357 is but the best mods I did for my bulldogs was barrel supports and recrowning the barrel .
I had a really cheap 300$ compressor at first. It worked fine and was portable. Took a while to fill. No filling tanks with it. Then I purchased a big liquid cooled auto shut off/exhaust unit and I love it . I do like the cheap portable one if I go to a friend's house because tanks aren't enough .
@Turboram What do you mean by “tanks aren’t enough?”

not sure never counted, it does eat alot of air i typically fill it after every 5 shot mag .. if you start at 4300 or so and take it down to 28-29k which is about the best fill for the gun id guess you could fill it 12-15 times ... it only takes one shot per critter though haha .. thats alot of dead bodies to bury per tank! ... 100+ yards is alittle optimistic for an ideal range .. id try to keep it under 60y ... a yong heng is fine for an electric pump .. if you just fill as you need it and dont play all day itl last for years ... mines like 3 years old now .. i fill my 2 tanks every 3-4 months on average .. for scope id get an xsight4k, very happy with mine, wasted alot of sht with it lol

How many shots can you get out of a portable tank like a 74 cubic ft tank?
id guess you could fill it 12-15 times ... it only takes one shot per critter though haha .. thats alot of dead bodies to bury per tank! ...

@bubatrucking What @dizzums said. I think I can get an average of around 13-14 fills on my original stock .357 Benjamin Bulldog. I’d really have to dig through some notes from a couple of years ago to confirm this number. Since I have my own compressor to top-off my SCBA tank, I stopped counting. Now the problem is filling my SCBA when I feel like operating my compressor. Not a bad problem to have.