• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Bulldog ammo

So at EBR I will be getting a bulldog for big bore shooting/hunting and was wondering what everybody uses for ammo. From what I understand there has been valve work, extended air tube, and a heavier hammer spring. I won't know until I get my hands on it. It will be coming with H&N slugs and some NSA slugs....I'm would like to know what pellets folks are shooting and slugs and maybe some speeds you have found that work....It's going to be a learning curve on this rifle

Tony P.

IMG_7810.jpeg

My Bulldog likes the Predator Poly Mags.
Hammer spring cranked all the way in until it won't cock then backed out about 1/2 a turn.
Around 900 fps or so. Very accurate out to 75 yards. Haven't shot it past that. Get a full mag on a fill.
It also likes the GT Bullets 130gr Hollow Point .357 dia. non lubed bullets. I haven't fully dialed them in yet, but so far so good.
I tried several weights of NSA slugs and wasn't satisfied with the accuracy. Your Bulldog might be different.
In my Bulldog the GT's were more accurate than the NSA's and a lot cheaper too.
I also put a Buckrail moderator on it. It works good.

Its not a pellet gun... :oops:
@Centercut My stock Bulldog shoots 81 grain JSB Diabolo pellets pretty consistent out to 50 yards and did so out of the box. I’ve shot hundreds of pellets from it. I don’t know what the original design was intended to be, I look at it as a medium-big game hunting gun. Mine shoots pellets, slugs, and air bolts to my satisfaction for target shooting. I didn’t adjust or replace the hammer spring, hammer, or valve.

As for long-range shooting I have no idea how 81 grain JSBs would perform from a performance built Bulldog. If someone shot a Bulldog tuned by Veradium Air or a one-of-kind custom build, do you think it would only be good shooting slugs? Or would the limitation be the BC of the 81 grain pellet?

Last edited:
@Centercut My stock Bulldog shoots 81 grain JSB Diabolo pellets pretty consistent out to 50 yards and did so out of the box. I’ve shot hundreds of pellets from it. I don’t know what the original design was intended to be, I look at it as a medium-big game hunting gun. Mine shoots pellets, slugs, and air bolts to my satisfaction for target shooting. I didn’t adjust or replace the hammer spring, hammer, or valve.

As for long-range shooting I have no idea how 81 grain JSBs would perform from a performance built Bulldog. If someone shot a Bulldog tubes by Veradium Air or a one-of-kind custom build, do you thing it would only be good shooting slugs? Or would the limitation be the BC of the 81 grain pellet?
I sold Tony that gun. It was bought from a guy in Maryland that had it tuned for high power to go deer hunting. Then before he got the gun, they changed the law to not allow airguns for deer hunting, so he sold it.
Shooting the 81 grain pellets at 1050, of course they would become unstable past 25 yards. The gun shoots 110 grain NSA at 1000 FPS. I never could get the gun to shoot on a typical nonregulated gun "curve", but I never spent that much time with it. It would shoot from a 3000-psi fill (gauge read 3200 or 200 psi higher than actual) like 1020, 990, 970, 950 first five shots. I was looking for 960, 980, 990, 970, 950 or something of that sort. I had backed out the HST all the way and it didn't seem to affect speed that much, so when Tony got it, I suggested a weaker hammer spring.

Shooting tethered from a bench where you can keep the pressure constant the gun would easily give an ES of 10 fps or less. So, to shoot at RMAC for example that would be the way to go, and its accurate enough to do well. I'd go with the external HUMA reg that screws into a DIN300 fitting on your air tank. For comps like EBR Big Bore, it still could be used that way since refilling between each shot is allowed, and you have ten minutes per stage.
Tony just needs to determine which slug is most accurate 110 grain .357 or .358, or perhaps one heavier. Speeds from 950 to 1000 fps are usually pretty accurate and it wasn't that "speed picky"...

Last edited:
Reactions: Ricochet
Brian Thurman at Veradium Air tuned my Bulldog. Mine shoots the Mr Hollowpoint 120 gr very well, but I only hunt at short ranges (25-45 yards), the line of sight in my yard. I tested slugs from 100-150 grains, and those shot the best. I will say this, my Bulldog has been one of the most trouble-free load and shoot airguns I have owned. Mine is non-regulated (which I prefer for hunting). Fill it to 3,000 psi, shoot 5 high power shots and refill. The full top rail makes it one of the best night hunting guns for mid size game (raccoons, fox, coyote, at reasonable ranges). You can get the night scope as far back as you need to. I have zero regrets on buying it as there is no fooling around with regulators, and no initial shot variation like many other guns, which is a deal breaker for hunting. It makes other regulated .30 and .35 caliber guns irrelevant to me. It just kills whatever I point it at, whether I pick it up 2 days later or a month later.