• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Bull Whisper metallic pinging sound

First post on this forum, although I've benefited from it many times in the past!

Anyways, when I was derping around the backyard with my Bull Whisperer, shots started producing a metallic pinging sound. The Bull Whisperer is a gas piston, so there really should be no sound except for the odd noise of the piston moving in the chamber when cocking and noise from the gun being fired.

While I'm posting, I've noticed that the O-ring has worn considerably, and I have not shot this thing enough to do that I think, only 500-1000 shots total. The wear seems to be caused by the plastic latch thing that clicks into place and holds the barrel closed after cocking. Is this kind of wear normal in these guns? When should I replace the O-ring? Thanks for the help :)

I have two Crosman Nitro Piston guns, and they both "ping." I say it's normal, at least in my case...both guns shoot well enough. The ping became more pronounced as the guns broke in, but never became loud or worrisome. In my case, it's probably the piston skirt contacting the inside of the air tube once it comes to a stop. Could be that the factory "overlube" has finally worked itself out/gun is settling in. Could also be the piston seal compressing more than it used to, and allowing the end of the piston to contact the face of the chamber at the end of the shooting cycle, though I think you'd know something was really wrong if that were happening. Is it obnoxiously loud? Do you find your accuracy suffering? If neither, I'd say normal for your gun too. 

Yeah, it's the Gamo Bull Whisperer Bone Collector Edition, a Gas/Nitro Piston air rifle: http://www.gamousa.com/product.aspx?productID=434 and the place I purchased it: http://www.airgundepot.com/refurbished-gamo-bone-collector-bull-whisper-air-rifle.html

So maybe the gun is just now being worked in? That's great news if that is the case! I'm still using the stock scope which always tends to shoot up and to the left, need to get an aftermarket. Other than that my aim doesn't seem to be impaired. I've never dry-fired or shot PBA (why in the world would Gamo recommend PBA on ANY of their air rifles?!), and have never cleaned it. Barrel looks smooth, and I've never oiled the gun. Lately I've been wondering if the gun has been dieseling as the shots have sounded louder than they used to, and there has been a strange smell after each shot. I don't think the shots have been going hyper-sonic though; been using Gamo Rockets and 8.2/8.3 grain RWS wadcutter and domed pellets. 

Also been hearing a scraping sound as the piston is pulled back when I cock the gun. Hoping that doesn't lead to something bad down the road. Purchased the gun refurbished by Air Gun Depot, but I was assured the gun was tested and is fit for shooting.

Thanks for the replies and advice guys, really appreciate it!