• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Bulk fill..

hey fellas. First time posting here so please excuse the noob question, I’m sure I already know the answer but I’d like confirmation. I’m a newcomer to co2 Airguns and I’m about to buy my first co2 powered 2250b ratcatcher. I’ve seen a few people with the 2250b fit a larger 88g co2 canister to the front and I was wondering if this is what’s called a “bulk fill”? And if so, does this mod render the gun as a PCP? The reason I’m asking is that where I live you require a licence for a PCP but not for the standard 2250b with small co2 cartridges. I’ve also come across pictures of the same looking set up but labeled as a “HPA” set up.. would HPA be considered as a PCP? 

Hello welcome to the the wonderful world of airguns
Here is the long answer to your question
PCP & HPA are close to the same thing.
PCP "Pre-Charged Pneumatic". PCP guns use Unregulated air. The only regulation of pressure being the valve and hammer.
HPA "High Pressure Air". HPA air sources are regulated. Most of the time the tanks are 3000-3500 psi or more and output pressure is regulated anywhere from 700-1500 psi as it leaves the bottle.
PCP Gives a handful of good High Power shots. Velocities start low, then get high and rapidly drop off in a bell curve.
HPA gives a lot more good CONSISTENT shots at a slightly lower velocity. Shots start at a given velocity and stay that way until the bottle pressure drops close to the regulated pressure. Shot count is dependent on cylinder volume. The bigger the tank, the more shots you get.
Co2 is a gas. Bulk fill means you can remove the cylinder and recharge it from a larger co2 tank or tank farm hence the term bulk, paintball has been using this style for years before HPA came out
The 88g co2 your talking about is charged at the and factory and sealed only when you screw it in to the gun is the seal pierced, once this is done you can't remove it without releasing the gas. I've seen an adapter that allows the 88g to be Refilled but don't see an advantage to it unless you have a larger bottle of co2 to fill from.
yes you can setup your co2 gun to run HPA but they use 2 different fill type stations to fill them . Co2 tanks have a pin valve and HPA tanks use a reg with a fill nipple port.
Tank pressure is different for HPA 3000psi while Co2 is a lowly 900 to1800psi it can be done but many variables must be met to do it safely.
It was common in the early years to fill an HPA tank with co2 or vice versa but now some say yes it can be done some say NO its not worth the possible injury.