Building squirrel feeder to hunt!

So my little 7yr wanted to hammer on something so I quickly tasked her with the opportunity to help dad out with a squirrel feeder for me to hunt off of. So we found a position in a brush pile where our neighbor put cedar branches at and then cut shooting lanes through the woods to have clear shots off the feeder. I have to say this little 1 did a fine job of building a redneck feeder and shooting position for us. Below is a picture of last year haul from the setup she made at another property. Will have picture soon of current setup. So my question to you fellow members are do you blind hunt over feeder or feed and would this be the approach you would start young hunters off to? No right or wrong answer. Just need collect wisdom on how to teach 5 little girls how to hunt! Also there is a picture of the survival shelter/ shooting blind we made.

20231029_205856.jpg

20221115_131539_HDR.jpg

20221115_131444_HDR.jpg

20221108_093415_HDR.jpg

Message_1667918206100.jpg

So my little 7yr wanted to hammer on something so I quickly tasked her with the opportunity to help dad out with a squirrel feeder for me to hunt off of. So we found a position in a brush pile where our neighbor put cedar branches at and then cut shooting lanes through the woods to have clear shots off the feeder. I have to say this little 1 did a fine job of building a redneck feeder and shooting position for us. Below is a picture of last year haul from the setup she made at another property. Will have picture soon of current setup. So my question to you fellow members are do you blind hunt over feeder or feed and would this be the approach you would start young hunters off to? No right or wrong answer. Just need collect wisdom on how to teach 5 little girls how to hunt! Also there is a picture of the survival shelter/ shooting blind we made.

View attachment 416351

View attachment 416352

View attachment 416353

View attachment 416356

View attachment 416357
Fantastic !! great shelter and blind and nice haul of squirrel . wonderful Family time .

Reactions: addison
Well, you've got her shooting a lever action and building blinds, both really well, so I'd say you're doing it right!
Blind hunting with or without feed requires patience which can be hard to teach little kids as you probably know. So it's great in the sense that they can learn to correlate their patience with success of the hunt.
I hunt from a blind sometimes but can't do it over feed because it's illegal. I would do it if I could especially with deer. I'm trying to fill my freezer.
I see no problem using all the tools available to you.
As long as she knows that's not the only way to hunt and it looks like she does.

Brings a tear to my eye remembering when I had my daughters help me build a "Squirrel Feeder" though they didn't know exactly why Dad was wanting a feeder built. Their mother had them thinking animals were like Disney creatures. ****Political commentary removed***
Anyway, I was watching a British dude shoot squirrels off a feeder on YouTube. It was gravity fed with a space for the squirrel to sit and get shot eating the nuts it pawed out the crack.

Last edited by a moderator:
@addison To answer your question, I have never constructed a blind. I tend to use what's already available like deadfall or a thicket. Now in a thicket I have entered or cut my way in and then cutout areas to give myself a decent view and room to rotate my tripod-mounted gun. I have yet to blind hunt over a feeder or feed. I like that bid yall made out of cedar, sticks, leaves and other materials.

Last edited:
Reactions: addison
Yes sir
I was cutting trim for my remodel. And asked when the next time we where going squirrel hunting. So I told her sooner if she could make a feeder in the woods at the house. So her little self went to the back of the GIRL CABIN with repurposed pallet wood and beginning of her feeder started. We've built stuff in the pass before so she retrained that knowledge and applied it to these 2 out of 4 she made. I only help with drill and cutting the mesh wire she used on the other builds and of course I supervise her. We home school so she's with me on all projects.

• Wow
Reactions: SHOMER
You are a really good dad… those little precious ones look very happy. The hunting and building skills you are teaching them will served them well in their future lives. Young families and posts like your is why I will alway keep the faith.🙏🇺🇸
Thank you. Hopefully these kids get to experience lots of shooting and hunting trips with me and there mom.

View attachment 416351

View attachment 416352

View attachment 416353

View attachment 416356

View attachment 416357
You both will cherish the memories forever. Great work