• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Building a Safe Backyard Backstop

So I have what may be a perfect solution. A metal filing cabinet that is 2’x2’x2’ on wheels. The metal is 15-21mm thick, it has one large door, so maybe I can fill the inside with rubber mulch for those that pass through 

again, I do have large sheets of polyvinyl chloride or PVC sheets. I have heard that bullet proof glass is made of polycarbonate, and in that video I listed the guy used 1/4 inch thick polycarbonate 

i do want it to be mobile and light enough to move outside and then inside to store

keep the ideas coming, if they are not good for me they may help others 

This is a 40”x48”x18” box made from 1/4” plate. With 8” crumb rubber behind the cardboard. The silhouette targets lift out. If shooting into the cardboard it is completely silent and will stop any pellet. 

https://m.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=44&v=EKZdCON5Teg

I think this would be absolutely perfect! Did you make the steel box yourself?

and what about the dolly, did you buy the dolly online? It seems wide and perfect for the job 

The target is still in progress. I made the box from 1/4" plate. the wheels are wheelbarrow wheels. The holy handles are a dolly. I haven't decided how I want handles. 8" of rubber is too much for what I need. I will redo the clips that hold the cardboard and only use 4" at most. One thing I also needed this for is I like shooting steel targets and was surprised at the power some ricochets had. so I stick the targets in here. If you want to figure how much rubber you need fill some thin priority mail boxes up with the rubber. then tape the boxes together. then shoot, take the boxes apart and see how many boxes the pellet went thru. at 30 yards you may find your pellet only goes thru two inches. if you want some reading on making targets follow this link.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?26627-Bullet-trap-ideas-for-recycling-lead/page7

I was sighting in a .25 impact at 25yrds to get it generally sighted before i sent it out to 50 where i use a 22cal long rifle trap to shoot into, i put a aluminum ladder at 25yrds with a paper target and the 1st shot was left and low. The pellet went through the ladder step like a hot knife through butter. I have plenty of room so wasn't worried about the pellet to much but im sure it would go through a file cabinet just to let you know.If you put a piece of steel with a 45 degree angle to divert the pellet downward i think it would be safe.
1538439553_13408362805bb2b9810c8870.26078713_0001.jpg
Have fun and stay safe.

I used a 4x4x1/16 thick steel plate a local welding shop gave me because it was rusty.....Then I made some ell brackets and fastened it to the top of a small light duty wheel barrel....I can easily move it anywhere in the yard and stand it up on the front wheel. I attached some thick cardboard to the front of the steel plate with spring clamps, then I tape my targets to the cardboard or place my swinger or silhouette animals directly in front of the steel plate.......This same design could be made with a heavier and larger plate for powder burners. Most small local welding shops are happy to help you with steel for these type of projects .....Porkey

Things are coming together for my father and I. Finally got to do a good sighting-in of our new .30 Impact X's (we are moving over from powder burners, and are AMAZED with high-end PCP airguns), followed by some good ol' plinking to get the feel of them. Wanted to get to know them a little bit before diving in to the detailed tuning for the optimal settings/pellets. We have a small private family-owned campground property (just three families with RVs, not anything commercial, so no strangers milling about), and finally got the base of our safety backstop set up last weekend. We will spend SO MUCH more time together shooting now that we can shoot airguns on our own property vs having to go to a club range to shoot firearms. Plus, we introduced my sister and her husband to the Impact X's, and I sensed the hook being set. My sister was having CRAZY fun... and she didn't miss a single thing she aimed at. She got all target shots in the 1" black center at 50 yards, plus hit every walnut I set up for her. I guess that's a bit of a testament to what a quality, well-sighted and accurate airgun can do, since she had never fired a gun since the one time she shot my Daisy BB gun when we were kids. Come to think of it, I think that shot she made back then had me eating some humble pie. I'm beginning to see a pattern here... but I digress.

We still have some work to do, like wind indicators/streamers on the corners, and some shelving for reactive targets and maybe some spinners, but the main target shooting will be into separate box traps. The base is 12' x 12', and the 45 degree deflector backstop (2x6 planking) is 12' x 12', raised to a 45 degree angle. I think I'll add one more vertical support brace, but it isn't going anywhere. Gives us two nice sub-sectioned areas. We can get a full 100 yards when we're ready to. REALLY looking forward to getting down to some serious tuning, and learning to shoot 100 yards for accuracy. Already have a couple other local airgunners wanting to come over for a visit. Should be fun!

1538620106_613918755bb57aca268637.04009408_Backstop 1.JPG

1538620118_11732316935bb57ad66a8a88.71606321_Backstop 2.JPG

The only down side is we'll lose it for a few weeks around Christmas... the wives have already told us it's going to make a GREAT Nativity scene for our campground. Women... 

Just wondering what do you guys use for a backstop?

cant use soil, can’t fire endlessly into the sunset, so I need to make something, surely others are in a similar situation

1538701161_8386801365bb6b76957d9d3.63869265_20181004_180637.jpg

Not the cheapest backstop, but nothing is going to pass through it. I have 4 of these I used to stack 2 high /2 wide for shooting archery in the backyard with the kids. 18" × 18" ×13" thick and silent. The center is replacable. So far I have put thousands of pellets in it and the only drawback I can see is if I keep shooting at the rate I am now, it's going to get very heavy. Rhinoblock XL. At 30 yards, .177 10.34gr. Pellets are going in about 2" from my 18 ftlbs Impact .

I use a few different targets in my yard go to a farm and fleet they sell horse stall mats 3/4 in thick its heavy stuff 4ft by 6ft piece was 30 bucks I cut through it with razor knife 18 by 18inches double it up screw to some plywood lasts a summer or shooting

When the pellets hit this head on, or at an angle does it embed, or stop and fall flat, or ricochet or what? What about non straight shots?

Hey

so just to update, I’m giving this a try. I contacted STS and the guy says it’ll stop .25 pellets

going with a 2ftx2ft trap, and then I’m putting their ballistic panels around it on 1/2” plywood he recommended 

still waiting on it. It cost a lot but I’m told their 1” ballistic panel I’m going to use as a backstop will stop pellets and prevent ricochet 

just wanted to update you all

1540678805_5416602165bd4e495483716.53764469_C974DD3F-8964-4450-8486-2B061408C90B.jpeg

I have a similar arrangement as you. Logs and pressure treated wood is your friend. If you build something and make some sunflower and peanut easier to get to, they will go to that.

Mine is 3 layers of fence material and an oak tree behind that. The wood fence planks are cheap so I cut a new piece when it looks compromised. Screw in and screw out. I use the screw heads to check zero. I shoot a 16gr Air Arms pellet at 15 FPE. After a head shot it stays in the first piece of wood fence plank.

Don't focus on using the bird feeder. I started out and the squirrels were going on my house to get to the feeder. I set up a good kill zone that is easier for the squirrels to get to. No chewing on my house and gets them to a safe spot.

I also highly recommend a different rifle for your scenario. I didn't see what FPE you are shooting your 25, but thats a lot of air rifle for the yard.

We always want to use our nice rifles we spent so much on, but you need to use the best tool for the job.

I'd suggest a 177 or 22 shooting around 15 FPE. My backyard choice is a PP700S-A. Only one matrix level squirrel has evaded it.

A look from my shooting position in my house