Building a Safe Backyard Backstop

Won't help in your situation but I use 1.5 inch cast concrete in the same form as a metal trap. The back is slanted°45. As I cast it I make sure to vibrate it with an old Craftsman random orbital sander and wet it down periodically during curing. Cheap and durable. Actually stands up to limited use with.22lr also. I used good old high strength stuff in the bag.

HAS anyone seen around their private home back stop any lead dust. SMEARS on steel and tiny particles are not lead dust. Lead dust must be so small in order to become air borne dust. My understanding is lead dust is generated by the heat of burning gun powder VAPORIZING lead and the cooling of that lead moving down range and forming into dust particles. I had a short indoor range with a .22 rimfire trap. Never noticed lead dust, lots of particles of lead pellets, but nothing that could become airborne. I have a lead bullet INSIDE of my tibia that tumbled down deeper beyond retrieval. (Shot from behind at a distance in a parking lot I believe by a dropped pistol.) I was told blood is made in the marrow of bones, but I'm no doctor. It left some particles around the bone which were removed and that is how I know it is a lead bullet. Every so often I have my blood tested for lead. Never showed any increase beyond what I accumulated in my life time drinking water from lead/tin soldered copper water pipes. Breathing air in indoor firing ranges, guys chewing the vinyl coated wire nuts ( red, yellow, blue, grey, etc have lead inside them) and lead house paint mostly pre 1950 are the common ingestion points. I shot .357 mag indoors maybe 10 times a year 100 rnds and my lead levels are safe in the same levels as the general public. I turned 72 last friday. Unless you drank leaded fuel. lived in an indoor range ( range masters), ate lead paint chips off the walls, chewed leaded wire nuts at work as a nervous habit. I, in my opinion think you'll make it. IF YOU ARE CONCERNED, BUILD A RUBBER MULCH BULLET TRAP

My back stop holds rubber mulch obout 8" deep with a plastic frame to hold easily replaceable PCS OF card board to mount the targets AND retain the mulch. I duct tape the holes AS THEY GROW or replace the cardboard (frame slotted to easily slide in & out the cardboard. I'm considering replacing my 3/4" plywood backing board with polycarbonate, but the very few pellets that have ever managed to pass through the mulch only slightly dented the plywood and fell to the floor as I moved the trap.I shoot .177, .22, and about 900 fps ,25 from a MK II IMPACT. Replacing the mulch to full level stops pass throughs.. No chance of lead dust with the rubber mulch. I protect my trap from weather with rubber mating. GBGUNNER