Building a new pest rig. Which gun and scope?

A gun with a low scope mount is preferable if you're doing a lot of really close range shooting. On my Maverick, the scope is four inches over the bores center. When a projectile is rising four inches in the first twenty yards, really really close can be a tough shot. There is a difference in holdover at 7, 10 and 15 yards on small targets. A more traditional styled rifle without a huge magazine sticking up would allow for a lower scope mount. 

Just a thought...

However the high scope mount makes a gun seem to shoot nice and flat. Mine is on at 25 and 60 yards with less than an inch of rise between those yardages. .25 caliber, 27.47 grain H&N Barracuda Hunter @ 930 fps.

A gun with a low scope mount is preferable if you're doing a lot of really close range shooting. On my Maverick, the scope is four inches over the bores center. When a projectile is rising four inches in the first twenty yards, really really close can be a tough shot. There is a difference in holdover at 7, 10 and 15 yards on small targets. A more traditional styled rifle without a huge magazine sticking up would allow for a lower scope mount. Just a thought...

There are also the semi bullpups that allow for a lower scope over bore height. Even lower than some traditional PCPs that require the scope to be a bit higher for magazine clearance.

Semi bullpups are rifles such as...

Cricket Mini Carbine

Zbroia Tactical models

Vulcan Tactical

Brocock

I've used a veteran compact in .25 and it's a solid platform. Don't see many complaints about the Veteran on here. my favorite now is the FX Dreamline compact tactical. I use out of the truck all the time. The folding stock makes it easy to use. It can sit for weeks, when I can't get out, and it's spot on when I start shooting again. It ie easily quickly adjustable for power. Go inside a barn and crank a little dial, remember the hold over under for low power and you are not punching holes in the roof and walls. I also have a RTI prophet and have scoped it and adjusted it for targets 75 yards or more. It is also a reliable platform. I havent' tried their compact but it could be a winner.

I have both .22 and .25. I just like the .25 better because their is an enjoyable smack when you hit the target. You can tell by the sound if you made a good shot or not. 'Right now' type kills are easier with the .25 and you don't have to be as exact as you might with a lesser caliber.

Be thinking about a compressor. Most of the guns mentioned do consume more air than what you have now. Pumping sucks! You will shoot more often if you have HP air available. It's easy. Make a decision with all the good infor you have gotten. lol

If you are already thinking about growing into an Impact, I might suggest just going with a Maverick VP. You won't really need to go up later with that and can really just upgrade the tank at a later time.I am also one of the oddballs who prefers the SFP scope and have the Helix on mine. With Strelock it is pretty easy to either dial or use holdover/under with pretty good reliability. Pretty nice to be able to switch from low power pellet tune to shooting the slugs with nothing but a power wheel change.

Also let me say that I have been trying the Zan slugs out this week and holy mackerel. I thought the NSA slugs were good, but these things are unreal at 56 fpe. 

I don't own either of those guns but if I had a choice, I would go with the Uragan Compact in .22cal. Another one, not on your list, that I would recommend is a Taipan Veteran Compact in .22 even though it has a rear cocking lever. Another consideration, if you don't mind a single shot, the Leshiy Classic is a good grab and go gun. Super compact and lightweight. The only issue is trying to find a scope that mounts up to it unless you can find a used Dedal Stalker until they become available again. In regards to scopes, I recommend getting a short scope that fits the gun well.

For a good short range scope within your 7 to 40 yard range requirement and at $499.99, take a look at the Athlon Helos BTR Gen2 2-12×42 with AHMR2 FFP MIL reticle. For an FFP scope, the reticle doesn't get lost in the lower magnification ranges. I find myself leaving it set at 6x which is a good compromise for medium and close ranges while having the parallax set in between. The optical clarity and eye box is great even while set at full magnification (12×). Depth of Field is also great for the magnification range. I own some higher tier scopes and I'm pretty satisfied and impressed with the Athlon Helos BTR Gen2 2-12×42 that I wouldn't mind picking up another one if I was getting another short airgun.

SmartSelect_20211024-123240_Chrome.1635046421.jpg

SmartSelect_20211024-123350_Chrome.1635046431.jpg

SmartSelect_20211024-123508_Chrome.1635046452.jpg

Check out this review from Steve123 who also has experience with other high end scopes...

https://www.airgunnation.com/topic/ffp-athlon-helos-g2-2-12x42-is-in-hand/?referrer=1

You didn't mention caliber but this thing is lightweight, short, and very accurate. It anchors small pests with authority too. It's a sub $500 Stoeger Bullshark and it's shooting 10.03 Knockouts around 1000 fps and 13.43s around 900. It gets 60+ shots per fill at this power level and I hand pump it as well. It's wearing a Centerpoint scope in this picture but I'm using a Primary Arms 4-16 currently and it's a great scope for the money.
_SAM7384-01.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Florida_Man
I'm new to airgunning in the past year. I keep the chipmunk, squirrel, and rat population in check on the farm. I've done a lot of work to secure the chicken feed, which immediately reduced the brazen appearances of the pests. I started with a Marauder with the Centerpoint 4x-16x scope that came with it as a kit. I have developed so many skills and really love the airgunning hobby. I'm ready to up my game and build a dedicated pest setup catered to how I work, because buying more toys is part of the fun!

I have been paying a lot of attention to what I would change about my current rig. The Marauder is way too long and heavy for my style, which is a lot of offhand or improvised rest shooting. I want to build a setup that is light, short, and lets me react quickly as I move around the farm. The vast majority of my shots are taken anywhere from 7 yards to 40 yards. I think I've decided on a bullpup for the gun type. I'm looking at the Uragan Compact, or maybe the Wildcat MkIII Compact. I like their simplicity compared to a spaceship like an Impact. (I'll grow into an Impact later.) I think I want the cocking lever up front instead of in back. Since nothing is in stock anywhere, this is all kind of a daydream anyway. Any others you'd recommend? I'd like to keep it under $1800 or so.

I hand pump currently, happily. I just don't pull the trigger enough to get grumpy about pumping yet. It seems that at some point, the hobby becomes high pressure air management with a dash of shooting just to make it fun.

I am overwhelmed by the scope market. I've been doing my research but I am not close to picking scope. I think I want:

• Side focus (my current Centerpoint has an AO shroud, and reaching out front to adjust it is a pain)
  • Focus down to 10 yards or less.
  • I like the 4x to 16x power range and I use all of it. I don't find myself needing less than 4x. 16x power seems fine for the top end, but this scope's picture goes to trash at full power.
  • I don't know if I have an opinion on SFP vs FFP, since I don't have a lot of experience. My current scope has no ranging marks on the reticle, so I have not practiced the skill of using them. I have simply learned where to aim based on experience, which works about 75% of the time lol. If I did FFP, its more important that the reticle be visible on the low power end as opposed to not being too big on the high power end.
  • Good low light performance. I do a lot of work in the evening and shadows.
  • It doesn't have to be cheap, but I can't justify a $1500 hunting beauty. I think I want to stay under roughly $600.

Any scopes sound like they match up?

I'm excited to build out a more agile platform. I laugh now when I run to grab the Marauder since its like a musket with a brick attached.
Scopes choices are plenty and highly personal. I would like to point out three things: 1) For short distance hunting, SPF is generally preferred; 2) Reticle design is tricky, so you really want to look through them with your own eyes; 3) Do consider illuminated reticle. For your purposes, March Shorty would be perfect but it is way too expensive to my liking.

Guns I'd recommend three:

1) FX Impact. Since it is the gun you want to "grow into", why not get it now? It is fun to buy different guns to try. But if you know you want this one, buying it now may actually save you money. I have a Maverick but wish I bought an Impact then. It is not a strong wish so I am keeping it for 30 cal duty.
2) FX DreamTact Compact. It's not a bullpup but it's folding stock makes it short. The light weight and simple actions make it a dream to use. It comes with a 170cc tube but you can use a 300cc CF bottle also. I'm biased because I have two of these guns, one in 177 and the other 22. I mostly use the bottle but kept the tubes. @qball here on AGN uses a 177 at low power for backyard pesting with great effect.
3) Brocock XR Series. The Atomic was designed for farm pesting. They have a model called Pathfinder now with a bottle and more powerful actions. All very solid guns. @L.Leon here on AGN has a couple of them and does farm pesting. He has a lot to say about them. I just bought a .22 Sniper Sahara XR (very good price at AoA now) and love it so far.

People have different opinions about caliber. I believe 22 is the most versatile for short distance hunting.

Enjoy the hunt!

Reactions: L.Leon
A gun with a low scope mount is preferable if you're doing a lot of really close range shooting. On my Maverick, the scope is four inches over the bores center. When a projectile is rising four inches in the first twenty yards, really really close can be a tough shot. There is a difference in holdover at 7, 10 and 15 yards on small targets. A more traditional styled rifle without a huge magazine sticking up would allow for a lower scope mount.

Just a thought...

However the high scope mount makes a gun seem to shoot nice and flat. Mine is on at 25 and 60 yards with less than an inch of rise between those yardages. .25 caliber, 27.47 grain H&N Barracuda Hunter @ 930 fps.
How in the heck did you get your scope on a Maverick 4" over the bore? Seriously how? Both of mine are 2.62" center to center. No issues from 10 yards...fuzzy and a hold, out to 125 yards. Yeah, I got serious about measuring the center lines.

Just a thought...

However the high scope mount makes a gun seem to shoot nice and flat. Mine is on at 25 and 60 yards with less than an inch of rise between those yardages. .25 caliber, 27.47 grain H&N Barracuda Hunter @ 930 fps.
Do you mean 4" to the top or 4" centerline to centerline?