Build you own Rear Rest for a fraction of the cost.

I have recently had an interest in obtaining a rear rest for my benchrest shooting. I checked around the different sites and vendors and found them kinda expensive for what they offered. I looked at what people posted and noticed a person using a little "car jack" type of device to elevate the rest. The name for this device is called a Lab Lift or Lab Jack. These are plentiful on Amazon or Alibaba and can be purchased for as low as 15 dollars(plus shipping)
IMG_0157.jpeg

IMG_0156.jpeg

This one is nice and simple, but it didn't have a way to lock the position in place. Friends in the forum pointed me to a lab jack that had a wheel with a retaining bolt. A little more expensive, but have better action and less play in the wheel..nice anodized finish..under 70 dollars.
IMG_0145.jpeg

Then, i wanted a way to track across a target so i needed something to move left and right. I thought i could use somethin like a Cross-vice, but they are much too big and heavy and only needed 1 axis. I stumbled on to a page that had linear tables on it, and i thought it would be perfect
IMG_0144.jpeg

Be careful about the height of these tables..if they are too tall it may prevent you from being able to use it for the disatances you need.
The one thing that i really didn't think about was how to attach them. I thought i was going to bolt them together, but the clearance for the heads(not recessed in the spots i wanted to use) is very low and the pre-made holes are a 1/4 inch off. So i am just going to bond them together with a metal epoxy like this.
IMG_0146.jpeg

IMG_0158.jpeg

Save yourself some cash and build your own
Mike

I’m looking at that knob on the linear right/left adjustment, being close to the bench. Are you able to thumb turn that knob? Cause if two fingers are needed it looks like it’ll be a chore to turn it especially when speed is of the essence.

Or do you have this set up on top of a platform to give you room to turn that knob?
Great idea/ingenuity, just questioning that side to side adjustment being so close to the bench

I’m looking at that knob on the linear right/left adjustment, being close to the bench. Are you able to thumb turn that knob? Cause if two fingers are needed it looks like it’ll be a chore to turn it especially when speed is of the essence.

Or do you have this set up on top of a platform to give you room to turn that knob?
Great idea/ingenuity, just questioning that side to side adjustment being so close to the bench
Hello @Bigragu
No problem turning the knob, i can move it with 1 finger...there is a little hole in the middle, above the know that has an allen screw to adjust the tension.
I'll move the allen key to loosen the action...move to the spot by using just a finger and lock it in place
I thought of a leveling table, but i have levels on all the rifles. And i thought it might make it too high.
IMG_0159.jpeg

I also found some epoxy that dries black…came out nice. Can barely see the epoxy
IMG_0161.jpeg

IMG_0163.jpeg

Hi @Bigragu
This was the one i was originally interested in, but the height was 5 inches, which i thought might be too high. Maybe it will be good for your set-up