• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Build FX Crown MKII?

I'm interested in the Crown but I don't see any .30 in stock anywhere. Want one of the laminate stocks, probably pepper or yellow. I see that Krale has all the parts -- base, barrels, stock. Any reason not to just build the gun I want? Price of the three components looks essentially the same as buying it pre-assembled. And if this is just a lego project (putting aside tuning, which I'd need to do regardless), suggestions re: barrel length? This would be a pure target shooting platform. I feel like this is too easy so must be missing something. Thanks in advance.

It is a novel approach, no doubt. If you can wait a little longer, it does appear that more FX inventory has been showing up at dealers lately (including Crowns), so maybe your desired gun may come into stock soon. But you have to be watching the dealer sites regularly, or get a pre-order in somewhere.

One issue you may run into with purchasing from Krale is that they are contractually bound by FX to only sell in specific geographies. But while this means that you can't buy an FX gun from Krale if you live in the U.S., I am not sure whether this would also apply to FX components.

And, of course, in putting your own gun together from components you would be giving up the 3 year warranty which comes with FX guns in the U.S. 

Strange gun, that one. They list it as a Mk2, but notice that it is not labeled Mk2 on the block. I'm thinking that it is actually a Mk1 Continuum, being sold with just 1 barrel. As such it will have some of the benefits of the Mk2 (superlight barrel with improved retention system, Pic rail on top), but not all of them (larger valve/internal porting/plenum space).

TMH is correct. A lot of people refer to the Continuum as a Gen 2, because it had the upgrades to the pic rail (from a dovetail) and the new barrel mounting system with four angled screws - two on each side. (I believe that the SuperLight barrel predated the Continuum though).

If it doesn’t have the MK II markings on the block then, as far as I know, it is NOT a MK II

I guess one way to refer to them is Crown Gen 1 (original), Crown Gen 2 (Continuum and later Crowns), followed by the Crown MK2 Gen 1 (all current Crowns).

Chris

Chris, thank you for that information. Very helpful to know. And unfortunately, as I noted above, Krale does not sell the MK2 action separately to customers in the U.S. So I will just have to wait if I want a Crown (some vendors saying March). I think I'm a traditional rifle guy but also looking at the RTI Prophet Performance, Kricket II Tac 60 and Uragan. Historically I don't shoot pups as well as traditional rifles, so have been hesitant to go that route.

Strange gun, that one. They list it as a Mk2, but notice that it is not labeled Mk2 on the block. I'm thinking that it is actually a Mk1 Continuum, being sold with just 1 barrel. As such it will have some of the benefits of the Mk2 (superlight barrel with improved retention system, Pic rail on top), but not all of them (larger valve/internal porting/plenum space).

100% correct, that's a Gen2 NOT MK2! They were sold briefly in both continuum and normal configurations. I had a Gen2 but sold it and regretted it since, only consolation is an incoming MK2. 

Some do and some don't it depends when it was built. 

My .25 Crown in FAC has all the improvements of the mk2 but doesn't have MK2 engraved on the side, I've stripped it and compared it to a known pic block sub 12FPE rifle I have and it has the larger porting and plenum and the value changes - this is also confirmed as it produces the higher energy than a friend who has one a real pic rail rifle.

We suspected that some of the blocks were given the upgrades but never had the laser engraving on the side to confirm it's a MK2. 

But there was a least a short period where all the upgrades were done to a pic block and no engraving happened, you'd have to strip the rifle to check though to be honest