Budget (YH Like) Compressor Tips Compilation and experiences

I wonder if it's possible to place a steel washer between the first stage piston and the second stage piston to help spread the force across the entire piston top? I know it might raise the compression ratio of the first stage and may not clear either. Guess Ill have to wait until I'm faced with this issue. Looks like they really need to beef up the crown area.

How many hours of run time before it bit the dust? $25 for a rebuild,not too bad.

is totally paid ... donno exactly but about a year using it 1 hour per week (2 fills per week) so about 52 hours...around 100 fills, @ 10 dolar per fill is about $1.000 so is paid, still is a disappointment to see material stress like that... I had a very cheap YH like (clone) to use it as spare part...I made the change, but the first stage piston is about 0.2 mm wider and will not FIT! damn! so I have to wait for the replacement.

I wonder how much it would cost to get a piston CNC machined with a thicker dome and better alloy? If mine blows up eventually I may find out. But I'd bet if someone did a run of hundred or so you could get the cost down well below 50 bucks each maybe half that.

Most modern shops can produce a file to machine it in a few minutes from an original with a 3D scanner. And one off it would be high but if someone with the tools wanted to sell upgrade parts it's an opportunity.

Dono but probably a lot cheaper is to have a spare part ... the problem is that 4500psi is the limit of that piston, they should made it for 5.000 psi or 6.000 ). 

I one year I never change even an oring. 

Spare parts i did need

1- Auto Stop Gauge: it works but it got stock on 600psi, and is no way to put it back to 0 (as far as I know)

2- Piston: would be a good idea to have an extra

3- Breathing Nozzle: It got broken probably due excessive pressure after the piston collapse

Also I have heard failures on Power Relay

Good luck with it and please inform us of how the rebuild goes and if the pump returns to it's previous performance level.

I hope Yong Heng pays attention to this issue and beefs up the piston. If you figure 4500 PSI, that little rod of a second stage piston is probably less than a square inch at the base, so it's concentrating at least that much pressure on the center of the piston and over time it's likely to fatigue and fail. It needs greater structural integrity which shouldn't be very hard to do.

Got a new compressor! looks much better than the YH (but very similar)...first impressions Quieter (a lot), temp stay down on 45 Celcius, digital display (really love that!). Shipping was really fast (10 days) ... total in Chile (for US usually is cheaper) US$380 (I did not pay a dime extra, got lucky no taxes)... so far so good...fill 6.8L SCBA from 190 to 300bar in 15m, 10 minutes pause, and then a 9L SCBA from 180 to 300bar in 30 minutes.

1556530942_8993227375cc6c6feb1be84.81024773_SmartSelect_20190429-054134_Gallery.jpg

Digital display

1556530977_18723735605cc6c7211432f4.36435936_IMG_20190426_181241_101.jpg

1556540381_11776133375cc6ebdddd12c2.79189348_Comp.jpg

1556542709_16315246185cc6f4f5523224.55014622_Comp3.jpg

Only time will tell...if fails my next purchase will be a Coltri/Daystate

I have had the impression that the Yong Heng type of compressor has already reached the end of its development cycle but it seems that its still evolving. The reduction in noise level is a major improvement. I used to think that its something deep rooted in the design that cannot be changed.

In this type of compressors yes it looks like a better compressor than the YH (and cheaper shipping included) I had the Set Pressure YH. I order the replacement like piston 3 weeks ago! and still waiting for arrival! I have not much patience for waiting. 

I have recently asked the Yong Heng factory in China regarding the widely reported problem of the first-stage piston cracked after some use. They told me that they are aware of the issue and all compressors coming out from the factory now have got pistons with thicker wall. Make sure that you get the new piston for replacement. My Yong Heng was bought one year ago and they told me that it probably has got the old version piston with thinner wall. I have just ordered a new-version one, costs 4 bucks shipped.

There is no link selling the new piston. I am located in Hong Kong and I contact the Yong Heng factory directly to buy the piston. I am sure sellers on Aliexpress or alike can get it for you guys in US .

I will post some pictures of the new piston which should arrive in a few days.

Great! Mine is only two months old but when I can find one I will get the upgraded unit and install it just to feel safer. I know they can be repaired afterwards but I'm sure it does no good to circulate debris through the system.

I guess for $4 you get just the piston? If so I wonder if the wrist pin has to be pressed in with a combo of cold pin and hot rod?

Thanks for the info.