"Budget to Mid-Priced" PCP Frustration....

To start off with I will admit it has been a Very long time since I have trolled this market... (the 300.00 to 800.00 range)

Sure I could be called a snob I guess since the cheapest airgun I currently own cost $1999.00 as a "naked" gun..

Reason for looking :
1) I have a Very large family get together coming up June 9-12....so the quest has begun
2) with that said i have started looking into the so called budget, mid-priced guns as I want somewhat of a "friends and family" gun so i don't have stand over them like a father on his daughter's prom night while they are shooting my prized high end guns.

I have to say I'm pretty disappointed with the offerings, seems Most of the guns in this category are getting Way overpriced for what they are, or maybe my criteria is just impossible at this price point.??

So here is what I Absolutely Can Not deal with :
1) the infamous twang, poing, doing that seem to plaque them
2) bad or just down right awful triggers
3) barrel lottery

I thought i was on to something with the Hatsan Factor RC until i saw the ridiculous price of $999.00, you got to be out your mind!

So I am asking the community for assistance in my quest.
You see above what I do Not want.

Here is a loose perimeter of what will work
1) preferably .22
2) Quiet or abililty to add moderator
3)accurate out to 30 yards
4) decent shot count, minimum 60+ plus per fill, would like more if possible
5) Decent trigger
6) regulated
7) High end of budget=$800.00

I prefer to buy something New as opposed to the used market since it has pretty much lost it's mind too..

Thanks guys, I have become bleary eyed looking and hoping i just missed something...

Reactions: Scotay42
With your budget i have seen a few .22 kratos go by for 350, ebay also. Get the barrel cut and threaded., carbon bottle and bottle reg. Get plenty of shots at lower power and up to 40 fpe or so. Can be done Under 800. This is a friends kratos.

IMG_8602.jpg

A couple weeks ago my buddy handed me an Airacuda Max. It was brand new and he wanted me to do some magic to it like I did his DAR. Wasn’t necessary. The gun performed out of the box the way a gun should. His is a .25, but I would imagine with a .22 Max, you could tune it down to have a great shot count if you’re only shooting 30 yards. I have some sub $800 guns, they all require work to get them to feel, sound and perform the way I expect from a gun. That Airacuda, did not. I was shocked.

Just me, but if it's friends and family I'd go for stuff that has its own powerplant, so there isn't any messing with tanks or compressors. Gun and a tin of pellets.

Hw75.

Bring your range in to 15 or 20 yards, pop spinners all evening. Easy to shoot because single stroke. Accurate.

**edit**

Added bonus of the guns being relatively inexpensive (for a high quality airgun), but top quality.

JTS Airacuda Standard, 300 bucks............ slim and light, easy adjustable power with the combination hammerspring and 5 points transfer port adjuster, the gun is pretty quiet as is but can always ad a LDC, gun is accurate and not pellet picky ( at least on the .25 I have so I suspect the .22 has to be even better ) very nice trigger, super light user friendly Biatlhon side lever

Can always check aoa pre owned. Or classifieds here. Plenty of good guns and good deals. Personally it sounds like a newer or older marauder would fit the bill.
Yeah looking at the marauder, but they are still the old bolt action and a lot of the users will be female and older guys...and if i remember correct they can be a little tough to cock.
I am looking at the Benjamin Gunnar in .22, seems to check all the boxes , AGD and Pyramid has them on sale for 799.00...

Reactions: Long_Gun_Dallas
I'd definitely recommend an Airacuda I have a standard .22 and am very happy with it for the price. I got a pre production one and it is very nice. Machining is very impressive and nothing plastic on the gun that I found. Way better gun than a Mrod is. And I was a huge fan of them for years. If wanted a regulated go for the max

I'd definitely recommend an Airacuda I have a standard .22 and am very happy with it for the price. I got a pre production one and it is very nice. Machining is very impressive and nothing plastic on the gun that I found. Way better gun than a Mrod is. And I was a huge fan of them for years.
I have to agree on that one, the butter smooth lever action alone is perfect for kids, ladies and older folks compared the bolt action on the Marauder that is kinda tricky for smaller people, I set 2 Marauder Pistols up in rifle form for my daugther and the bolt action was a challenge.

And the 5 point power adjuster is something the Maurader just doesn't have.

Last edited:
Many good suggestions but one must keep in mind that these are budget and aren’t going to be able to be compared to a 2000k gun whatsoever. I think maybe you are making that mistake as the reality is with these guns over the last few years is you are getting WAY more for your money not at all over priced for what they are. At least that is what I see.

Reactions: Nomadic Pirate 66
I love my 3 P35s. The 22 is the most accurate, it's best on the 30 yard challenge is a 199. The 177 has done a 194. You have to order them from Krale but they are well under $500. They have more metal in the construction than my Avenger and they are easier to make quiet. Either a hair curler mod or an in shroud moderator got all mine down around 85 db. They are under 30 inches long and weigh just over 5 lbs. Side lever cocking. The as received trigger isn't great but with a couple simple adjustments can be reduced to under 1 lb and is pretty crisp. You need to back off the first stage spring and reduce the sear engagement a little (via the adjustment screw but you have to take the action out of the stock). For a loaner I might just reduce the first stage. That would give you a trigger pull under 2 lbs that would have a little creep. Reducing the sear will eliminate the creep but also reduce pull weight. If you stop around 1 lb it will be crisp. I have mine under 1/2 lb but wouldn't suggest that for inexperienced shooters. Plastic stock but that may be good for a "loaner". They are regulated but changing the regulator requires opening the air chamber. It comes with the tools but not instructions. You can find youtubes on the P15 which are applicable.

Shot count depends on the tune, of course. My 22 came shooting about 60 32 fpe shots per fill. It loves H&N Baracuda Match but it also seems to like Crosman cheapos but would need turned down - they are going well over 900 fps. But that would increase shot count. The decrease in velocity when you go under the regulated pressure is very slow and nothing bad happens if you keep shooting. POI will fall eventually, of course. The crowns looked pretty rough so I polished them before even trying them. But the gun seems well made and is solid. I think it would make a good loaner. Easy to use and seems difficult to hurt. Works well from either shoulder. Only comes with one magazine but Carm has them and they are inexpensive and I like them better.

Reactions: Nattboy and EdinGa
smh! Why go through the budget gun headaches, there's an EDGUN R3 .25 for $900 on the classified. Don't need to do jack, just add pellets and shoot!. After 1,2,3 or 4 year use you can probably sell it for the same price. Just cough it out, been there done that, ain't fun and just frustration and burning money.

Reactions: Nomadic Pirate 66
Many good suggestions but one must keep in mind that these are budget and aren’t going to be able to be compared to a 2000k gun whatsoever. I think maybe you are making that mistake as the reality is with these guns over the last few years is you are getting WAY more for your money not at all over priced for what they are. At least that is what I see.
I get all of what you are saying.
I have a been around for a minute and as i stated in the original post this "budget" gun is to keep my high dollar guns out of the hands of my relatives, as well serving as a "loaner" gun to friends in the future.

My complaint about the pricing on the budget guns is primarily aimed at the so called mid priced guns. (you will Never convince me a Hatsan Factor is worth $1000.00)
I do agree the low end pcp market is most definitely giving a lot for the price, ie. the JTS Airacuda Max

I appreciate all posts and suggestions, the search continues.....

I get all of what you are saying.
I have a been around for a minute and as i stated in the original post this "budget" gun is to keep my high dollar guns out of the hands of my relatives, as well serving as a "loaner" gun to friends in the future.

My complaint about the pricing on the budget guns is primarily aimed at the so called mid priced guns. (you will Never convince me a Hatsan Factor is worth $1000.00)
I do agree the low end pcp market is most definitely giving a lot for the price, ie. the JTS Airacuda Max

I appreciate all posts and suggestions, the search continues.....
Agreed on the factor for sure.