Budget Thermal Optic

Hey guys, I know the words budget and thermal typically don't go in the same sentence, but if I'm limited to a spend of 2k at most, would i be able to get something decent enough for hunting small/medium game up to 100 yards? Also trying to make more posts so that way I can actually message people, but this will only be post 2/10, lol. Thanks in advance for your thoughts and time!

Would think the Chinese market would have a cheap alternative by now? Have you checked temu or Alibaba? I know there are certain chinese camera lens brands out there that give the higher end much more expensive Japanese versions a pretty good run for the money, wouldn't be surprised if this wouldn't pass into the scope department as well...

The Chinese brands are being focused on in this thread.
AGM, Infiray/Iray, PARD are all Chinese.
Pulsar is Eastern European. N-Vision is USA.
Who'd I miss?

My best friend did a bunch of researching a year or two ago and bought the AGN Rattler TS25. He has it on an AR for coyote hunting. He really likes it and says he'd feel confident hunting at 200-250 yards, clear enough to see antlers on a deer.

His uncle bought the same one but his eyes are giving him troubles so he's selling it for $1k if anyone is interested.

Reactions: JakeMcCoy
Hey guys, I know the words budget and thermal typically don't go in the same sentence, but if I'm limited to a spend of 2k at most, would i be able to get something decent enough for hunting small/medium game up to 100 yards? Also trying to make more posts so that way I can actually message people, but this will only be post 2/10, lol. Thanks in advance for your thoughts and time!
Hogster stimulus!

You can get a very good thermal scope for 2k or less, it just depends on how picky you are.
Basically the only thing higher cost thermals give you is better resolution if your goal is to hunt below 200yards.

I have a HikMicro Lynx LC06 that was around $400. Terrible resolution but it can detect animals well over 100yards but it depends on how big they are.
Downside is you can't really tell what you are looking at; I was out one night testing it, saw some cats, a hedgehog and what I thought was a frog in the grass.
I stood there for probably 10 seconds trying to figure out what type of animal it was, it was pitch black so all I had to go on was the thermal scope.
I was just about to grab it with my hand to capture it but as I wasn't sure what it was I didn't want to get bit so I brought out my phone and turned on the camera light... it was a giant poop my 200 pound Leonberger dog had just laid...

When things are moving it's easier to figure out what they are when the resolution is garbage.
When you say small/medium game are we talking rabbit sized up to deer? At 100 yards it might be hard to tell the difference between a cat and a fox with a low resolution thermal scope.

I can't really give any recommendations as high end thermals are outside my budget at the moment and don't have much experience with them. Cheap thermal for spotting and a "high end" night vision scope is one option. If it has to be thermal then try to find the highest resolution one you can find, at $2000 it will probably be 256x192 but I'd try for a 384x288 if possible. Maybe try to find a used one from someone upgrading to a better one.
Poop 💩 hilarious

I have the TS19-256. I do very specialized hunting at night for rats. I’m never more than 20 yards away, usually under ten yards. Identification isn’t an issue, spotting them is. If I see it, I know it needs some lead.

If I had wanted to spend the money I’d have gone 384 and I’d highly recommend going with 384 if you can. But I would still prefer the lower magnification which the 384 models (AGM) don’t offer and the V2 doesn’t offer the 19mm even in the 256 model.

That said, I don’t regret the 256 based on my use case, but I’ve taken it out to look at critters in the open and I’d say I wouldn’t be confident shooting further than 50 yards to do lack of ability to determine the animal (due to lower resolution.).

It’s all use case. It I’d highly recommend going 384 at a minimum, but depending on use case, 256 may work. I’m not disappointed in any way. Would I like the higher resolution? Of course! But not for double the price (I paid $1100 for AGM TS19-256.). It’s a very nice unit in all aspects as others have noted the only difference is resolution and base magnification.

So you can see in my use case I’d say go for it.

I’d take the advice of the pros.

Are you sure you understand the difference between true green phosphor night vision and an infrared scope?

Infrared scopes aren’t green tinted or colored, they’re “black and white” projections of infrared light.

They are basically identical to your home security cameras and use an IR illuminator to project IR light which the scope (an IR camera just like your home security camera) can “see”. It shows the IR light captured as a black and white image.

These are usually much cheaper than a good thermal. Legit night vision cost more than the vehicles I own.

Are you sure you understand the difference between true green phosphor night vision and an infrared scope?

Infrared scopes aren’t green tinted or colored, they’re “black and white” projections of infrared light.

They are basically identical to your home security cameras and use an IR illuminator to project IR light which the scope (an IR camera just like your home security camera) can “see”. It shows the IR light captured as a black and white image.

These are usually much cheaper than a good thermal. Legit night vision cost more than the vehicles I own.
No, but I’ve also never gotten to use night vision before either way. I was always under the impression they had that green tint, probably from too many movies and too many books.

Reactions: L.Leon
True night vision (generation dependent) does have a green tint (uses green phosphor.). But the prices are $4k and up with the newest gen, what, $20k I think?

What it sounds like you’re not familiar with (correct me if I’m wrong) is the “night vision” many here are referring to, which is the infrared scopes. They are totally usuable and work great in many situations.

My ATN 4k pro was like $400 used. Have you seen these?

True night vision (generation dependent) does have a green tint (uses green phosphor.). But the prices are $4k and up with the newest gen, what, $20k I think?

What it sounds like you’re not familiar with (correct me if I’m wrong) is the “night vision” many here are referring to, which is the infrared scopes. They are totally usuable and work great in many situations.

My ATN 4k pro was like $400 used. Have you seen these?
I am a little bit after another call with outdoor legacy, I didn’t get back as much money as I needed from some things, so I ended up settling on a night vision scope with an IR Illuminator. I ordered a sight mark wraith 4k max HD 3-24x50. Was the best bang for my buck for what I want to do. Eventually I’ll have to learn more though when I’ve got the money to get a nice high end thermal and night vision. But I’m new to both of those and don’t have any experience at all yet.

I bought the PARD SA32 - 19 LRF. They have it for sale on their site for $1379 with the LRF and $1199 without. It is 384k with the 19mm lens. I took a rabbit out the other night at 37 yards and it was clear as a bell and with the LRF it was DRT. It is great for the use that @bmihlfeith got his and ratting with it is great. I have seen small pests out to 75 yards and I can pick up my dog - 70 pounds and good size - clearly at 100 yards. I have not used it for coyotes yet, but I would feel confident using it at 100 yards and under. So far I have had no problems whatsoever with it and it has been a great "starter" thermal.

I bought the PARD SA32 - 19 LRF. They have it for sale on their site for $1379 with the LRF and $1199 without. It is 384k with the 19mm lens. I took a rabbit out the other night at 37 yards and it was clear as a bell and with the LRF it was DRT. It is great for the use that @bmihlfeith got his and ratting with it is great. I have seen small pests out to 75 yards and I can pick up my dog - 70 pounds and good size - clearly at 100 yards. I have not used it for coyotes yet, but I would feel confident using it at 100 yards and under. So far I have had no problems whatsoever with it and it has been a great "starter" thermal
I appreciate the input!! I’ll give that one a look as well. I’d still like to get into the thermal game cheap at some point if I can.

I appreciate the input!! I’ll give that one a look as well. I’d still like to get into the thermal game cheap at some point if I can.
If you want to get your feet wet with thermal you can get the Xinfrared t2pro it's a unit that you plug into your phone for $400 it will show you heat and get you on target. I have a decent amount of digital day/night scopes and thermals under my belt so if you have any questions just ask. A lot of new stuff has been coming out and getting really good feedback you don't need to spend $5000 anymore to get a decent thermal. The attached video is the t2pro I have vidoe clips from a rattler ts25-384, varmint ts35-384, adder TS35-640, fuzion TM35-640LRF, iray bolt tl35 and the t2pro.

If you want to get your feet wet with thermal you can get the Xinfrared t2pro it's a unit that you plug into your phone for $400 it will show you heat and get you on target. I have a decent amount of digital day/night scopes and thermals under my belt so if you have any questions just ask. A lot of new stuff has been coming out and getting really good feedback you don't need to spend $5000 anymore to get a decent thermal. The attached video is the t2pro I have vidoe clips from a rattler ts25-384, varmint ts35-384, adder TS35-640, fuzion TM35-640LRF, iray bolt tl35 and the t2pro.

Would be sweet to somehow be able to set that up as a monocular. That’s pretty impressive for what it is at 20 and 30 yards!

Would be sweet to somehow be able to set that up as a monocular. That’s pretty impressive for what it is at 20 and 30 yards!
It comes with a handle so it can be used as a hand held the only downside is becuase phones are gigantic these days it may give away your position to more sensitive animals but none of the animals in my clips noticed I was there.