Budget Thermal Optic

Hey guys, I know the words budget and thermal typically don't go in the same sentence, but if I'm limited to a spend of 2k at most, would i be able to get something decent enough for hunting small/medium game up to 100 yards? Also trying to make more posts so that way I can actually message people, but this will only be post 2/10, lol. Thanks in advance for your thoughts and time!

I have been debating a thermal monocular for searching and then use a red spot light and normal scope for the rifle. Easier to scan with a monocular and for about $1500 you can get a very nice pulsar axiom and have room for a cheaper $500 digital night scope that has better resolution/identification than a thermal scope.

I have been debating a thermal monocular for searching and then use a red spot light and normal scope for the rifle. Easier to scan with a monocular and for about $1500 you can get a very nice pulsar axiom and have room for a cheaper $500 digital night scope that has better resolution/identification than a thermal scope.
I’ve still got a ton to learn either way, I’m only just now deciding to dip my toe into all of this, so I’m trying to be a cost effective hunter until I make it to the big leagues and can buy whatever I want lol. Wouldn’t it be hard to line up a shot after scanning and then having to swap to the scope?

I’ve still got a ton to learn either way, I’m only just now deciding to dip my toe into all of this, so I’m trying to be a cost effective hunter until I make it to the big leagues and can buy whatever I want lol. Wouldn’t it be hard to line up a shot after scanning and then having to swap to the scope?

Switching between thermal and NV works but it can be very frustrating. Things that jump out on the thermal may be very well concealed from view through NV. NV does a much better job at seeing potential obstructions than thermal.

I’m very happy with my AGM Rattler TS19-256. Because I use it for very close range I don’t need or want the higher magnification. I also get a better picture than if I were going longer distances.

Their new version is $1200 and has a bigger battery pack and supposedly a “better” sensor. I just bought mine a month ago, so that figures….lol.

I’m more than happy with it for rats within 20 yards.

Reactions: JakeMcCoy
I’m very happy with my AGM Rattler TS19-256. Because I use it for very close range I don’t need or want the higher magnification. I also get a better picture than if I were going longer distances.

Their new version is $1200 and has a bigger battery pack and supposedly a “better” sensor. I just bought mine a month ago, so that figures….lol.

I’m more than happy with it for rats within 20 yards.
I actually called outdoor legacy today and they said if I can shell out 2k, the best bang for my buck would be the AGM rattler 25-384. Going to watch some videos on it and then probably order it. Lol

Yep, probaboy so. Just make sure you get the V2.

the V1, which I have, is just fine, but the battery life sucks and it uses CR123’s, so even using rechargeables I only get about an hour or so.

which is fine for me in my backyard, but it’d be a pain in the ass if you needed many hours in the field.
Is there bigger battery packs you can bring out into the field?

For the V1, I’ve seen how you can use an external USB C battery pack, it’s doable. But looking at the V2, they did it right by making them battery packs that can be popped in and out, and they’re getting like 10 hours from each pack. That’s more than I’d ever need.

the V1, even with good non-disposable CR123’s I think the max is like 2 hours.
Id only get the V1 if you’re getting a hell of a deal and don’t need to worry about using it for more than 2 hours straight. I’m likely going to sell my V1 (at a substantial loss) to get the V2. I’d pay an extra $300 for the improved battery alone.

For the V1, I’ve seen how you can use an external USB C battery pack, it’s doable. But looking at the V2, they did it right by making them battery packs that can be popped in and out, and they’re getting like 10 hours from each pack. That’s more than I’d ever need.

the V1, even with good non-disposable CR123’s I think the max is like 2 hours.
Id only get the V1 if you’re getting a hell of a deal and don’t need to worry about using it for more than 2 hours straight. I’m likely going to sell my V1 (at a substantial loss) to get the V2. I’d pay an extra $300 for the improved battery alone.
Would you go up to 384 or stay at 256? Feel free to DM me by the way, my account doesn’t have enough posts yet for me to be able to message others unless they message me first.

You can get a very good thermal scope for 2k or less, it just depends on how picky you are.
Basically the only thing higher cost thermals give you is better resolution if your goal is to hunt below 200yards.

I have a HikMicro Lynx LC06 that was around $400. Terrible resolution but it can detect animals well over 100yards but it depends on how big they are.
Downside is you can't really tell what you are looking at; I was out one night testing it, saw some cats, a hedgehog and what I thought was a frog in the grass.
I stood there for probably 10 seconds trying to figure out what type of animal it was, it was pitch black so all I had to go on was the thermal scope.
I was just about to grab it with my hand to capture it but as I wasn't sure what it was I didn't want to get bit so I brought out my phone and turned on the camera light... it was a giant poop my 100 pound Leonberger dog had just laid...

When things are moving it's easier to figure out what they are when the resolution is garbage.
When you say small/medium game are we talking rabbit sized up to deer? At 100 yards it might be hard to tell the difference between a cat and a fox with a low resolution thermal scope.

I can't really give any recommendations as high end thermals are outside my budget at the moment and don't have much experience with them. Cheap thermal for spotting and a "high end" night vision scope is one option. If it has to be thermal then try to find the highest resolution one you can find, at $2000 it will probably be 256x192 but I'd try for a 384x288 if possible. Maybe try to find a used one from someone upgrading to a better one.

Last edited:
You can get a very good thermal scope for 2k or less, it just depends on how picky you are.
Basically the only thing higher cost thermals give you is better resolution if your goal is to hunt below 200yards.

I have a HikMicro Lynx LC06 that was around $400. Terrible resolution but it can detect animals well over 100yards but it depends on how big they are.
Downside is you can't really tell what you are looking at; I was out one night testing it, saw some cats, a hedgehog and what I thought was a frog in the grass.
I stood there for probably 10 seconds trying to figure out what type of animal it was, it was pitch black so all I had to go on was the thermal scope.
I was just about to grab it with my hand to capture it but as I wasn't sure what it was I didn't want to get bit so I brought out my phone and turned on the camera light... it was a giant poop my 200 pound Leonberger dog had just laid...

When things are moving it's easier to figure out what they are when the resolution is garbage.
When you say small/medium game are we talking rabbit sized up to deer? At 100 yards it might be hard to tell the difference between a cat and a fox with a low resolution thermal scope.

I can't really give any recommendations as high end thermals are outside my budget at the moment and don't have much experience with them. Cheap thermal for spotting and a "high end" night vision scope is one option. If it has to be thermal then try to find the highest resolution one you can find, at $2000 it will probably be 256x192 but I'd try for a 384x288 if possible. Maybe try to find a used one from someone upgrading to a better one.
Yes, definitely rabbits and up to deer. I won’t be taking anything bigger than that. It has to be thermal because I’ve not heard of any night vision that uses something other than green. I’m colorblind and can’t see red or green and they look brown to me, so I intend to use thermal in either white hot or black hot for hunting. I’ve found some decent options from AGM and that seems to be the consensus so far if I’m doing it on a budget.

Would think the Chinese market would have a cheap alternative by now? Have you checked temu or Alibaba? I know there are certain chinese camera lens brands out there that give the higher end much more expensive Japanese versions a pretty good run for the money, wouldn't be surprised if this wouldn't pass into the scope department as well...

Would think the Chinese market would have a cheap alternative by now? Have you checked temu or Alibaba? I know there are certain chinese camera lens brands out there that give the higher end much more expensive Japanese versions a pretty good run for the money, wouldn't be surprised if this wouldn't pass into the scope department as well...
I’ve not, but I typically do my best to avoid buying products from China as a whole.