• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Budget scope for a R9..

My Walmart now has the athlon news for 119$. It's there no thrills line but does hold there no questions asked lifetime.

I aslos as stevep would suggest the hammers at sub 100$ . A lot of folks use them on springers .

Here's his store link if you want to look at his other stuff

Reactions: Deerstalker
Buy once cry once.
How I hate that saying. If I had to go with that saying, there are many things I wanted and now have on a budget that I wouldn't have at all. I cringe every time I hear that.

What's a decent budget scope for a Beeman R9 in 22 cal?
There are many good budget scopes of different brand names. My favorite is Hawke. There are many other good ones, this is just what I use, mostly.
I have Hawke scope on a Gamo Magnum that surely is harder on scopes than a R9 can dream to be. It is on the Gamo for more than 2 years now and withstood thousands and thousands of shots and is still like new. With their lifetime warranty which they do honor you will not cry, at all. Like I said elsewhere on AN, some time back I bought a used Hawke scope and there was something wrong with it, I think the seller knew it but did not know about the warranty. I sent it to Hawke and they sent me a new one at no charge.

Last edited:
How I hate that saying. If I had to go with that saying, there are many things I wanted and now have on a budget that I wouldn't have at all. I cringe every time I hear that.

There are many good budget scopes of different brand names. My favorite is Hawke. There are many other good ones, this is just what I use, mostly.
I have Hawke scope on a Gamo Magnum that surely is harder on scopes than a R9 can dream to be. It is on the Gamo for more than 2 years now and withstood thousands and thousands of shots and is still like new. With their lifetime warranty which they do honor you will not cry, at all. Like I said elsewhere on AN, some time back I bought a used Hawke scope and there was something wrong with it, I think the seller knew it but did not know about the warrantee. I sent it to Hawke and they sent me a new one at no charge.
Buy once ,cry once ... Hmmmmm...

I think I cry everytime I buy anything these days..🤤

You shouldn't let a shade tree mechanic work on a mercedes You shouldn't put a cheap-ass scope on a R9. That is just sacrilege. The R9 would probably break it. Buy once cry once.
I actually have the Hammers 3-9x40 scope I suggested. It's been on at least 5 springers now, several of those while I was breaking the rifles in and they're all 17-20fpe springers. 4 years or so later, it still holds zero and works just fine.
I won't disagree better rifle/better glass, but the Hammers should hold up fine considering the R9 is a 15-16fpe rifle while the OP saves some coin to buy something better later.
By all means take my Hammers suggestion with a grain of salt since scopes on springers can be a crap shoot. I've seen shooters who spent 3, 4, 5 times or more for better quality glass on a higher end rifle and had them break.

I actually have the Hammers 3-9x40 scope I suggested. It's been on at least 5 springers now, several of those while I was breaking the rifles in and they're all 17-20fpe springers. 4 years or so later, it still holds zero and works just fine.
I won't disagree better rifle/better glass, but the Hammers should hold up fine considering the R9 is a 15-16fpe rifle while the OP saves some coin to buy something better later.
By all means take my Hammers suggestion with a grain of salt since scopes on springers can be a crap shoot. I've seen shooters who spent 3, 4, 5 times or more for better quality glass on a higher end rifle and had them break.
I had "high end" $$ scopes fail as some cheaper ones

Scoping a springer is just a dice roll and you hope you don't come up snake eyes..

I found the affordable ones maybe lik hawke or now I use athlon that got a no questions asked lifetime that if you do foll snake eyes you send it in and get another back easy peasy... Not adding to cart again ..

I have Hawke scope on a Gamo Magnum that surely is harder on scopes than a R9 can dream to be. It is on the Gamo for more than 2 years now and withstood thousands and thousands of shots and is still like new. With their lifetime warranty which they do honor you will not cry, at all. Like I said elsewhere on AN, some time back I bought a used Hawke scope and there was something wrong with it, I think the seller knew it but did not know about the warrantee. I sent it to Hawke and they sent me a new one at no charge.
Same /Same with Athlon ,bought a used broke Athlon scope ,sent it to Kansas City had a new one back in 5 days .

Reactions: Hateful McNasty