• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Budget red dot

I just got a crimson trace unit, but honestly it’s not much better than a bushnell trs or other budget red dots. I also got to try a vortex venom that was used and is superb. Much better than the ct. you definitely get what you pay for.
1590806730_144278945ed1c8ca48a5e3.36529355.png
1590806731_3402336505ed1c8cb5584d2.19261490.jpeg
also check sample list on swfa and midway.

I bought a pinty for 30 bucks. If it dies I don't care I just need it to last long enough to kill a few squirrels in a camping trip I'm taking in a couple of weeks. I decided to save for a holosun 503 and put it on a pcp instead so that I can remove from airgun and put on my rifle if need be. I wasn't too excited about 100 dollar range of red dots. Seemed like 40 more bucks gets you quite a bit better and I can use it in real life, airsoft or air guns. Hey by chance do you guys know what companies have lifetime warrantys? Vortex scopes are lifetime arnt they? 

I can't help with the cheap red dot sights, but I've bought a few brands.

The top brand (that DOESN'T break the bank) is Holosun. They have both cheaper models and more expensive models, all very high quality. Actually, the Holosun sights can easily compete with the higher dollar ($600 & $700 brands). There's a guy on YouTube that crash tests various red dot sights. He put the Holosun sights right on top of the list for holding up to the accidental fall. Nobody is immune to the accidental mishap. The cheaper sights, can't come close.

Vortex is a decent brand, "some" UTG red dots are ok. A little higher up, Leupold has the "Delta Point Pro" which is high quality and very easy to use. The Burris Fast Fire II, III are fair priced sights for some amount of quality. SightMark has a couple of reasonably good ones. Sig Sauer has some that are good, but not in the $100 range. But I like the Leupold over the Sig Sauer.

One thing to note too, having JUST a single dot on the screen can be a chore to find quickly. Some (Holosun for one) has put a circle around the dot to make finding the 2mm dot easy to find. The dot is small to not obstruct the target as many do, and the circle is also large enough to not get in the way.

I've found over the years, spend the money up front, that way, you normally (NOTHING is perfect) don't have to spend multiple times when the original quits doing what it's supposed to..!

Mike

1590852900_178471375ed27d242708e6.24445397.jpeg

The Holosun 507c is one of the best values in reflex optics. It can take whatever you can throw at it. Barely over 2 ounces
1590852853_18394645385ed27cf5800261.07780722.jpeg

edit, you will need a picatinny rail for mounting which may not be possible on a spring rifle 

THERE YOU GO!!! BEST STRAIGHT OUT OF THE BOX 22 PISTOL THAT I HAVE EVER OWNED PERIOD!!! I HAD A RIFLE SCOPE ON MINE FUN 200 YARD TIN CAN PLINKER. Yo!

Thanks Yo!
I know this is an airgun forum, but there was no sense in showing the Holosun with the base chopped off, that it was mounted to.

the Smith is a shooter alright :+)

edit, the Holosun 507c has three different reticles. 
a) 2moa dot (dot covers 2” portion of a target at 100yds.)

b) 32moa circle (surrounds 32” of a given target at 100yds.)

c) circle and dot combined. 

available in red or green reticles. I chose green. The difference in the version1 and Version2 models of 507c is that V2 has larger buttons and does not require removing the optic in order to change the battery. Not too big of deal really as the battery life is approximately 5yrs if the sight is left on, without using the auto-off feature

Ok so I know the $ reflex sights have some benefits - durability, battery management, etc. 

I find it hard imagining dropping $100+ on a little LED light and reflector though. Which is what these are. I have a working one I spent $35 on and it holds its center and the batteries seem to last plenty long. Three brightness levels, 2 colors, four reticles. What I wonder is, how do you pack in an additional $200-$300 or more value into a little thing like this? What can they do to make it better? Nicer finish? Better reflective coating? Diamond encrusted elevation adjuster? High status brand like Gucci handbags?

I can’t help but wonder what (if anything) I am missing by spending $300 less and would love to know.