Budget Friendly Red Dot Recommendations

Good morning everyone, first I am looking for a red dot and maybe magnifier combo that would work both on the Ranger XR (rat work) and the AR 15 platform I bought a year ago, and now started using (shooting firearms is a LOT more expensive than air guns).

I have some big pre order purchases in the works a Prophet 3 and another firearm so I am trying to keep the cost down a bit for the red dot set up. Max budget is around $250 and I would like a magnifier if I could put it in the budget. The SIG SAUER Romeo 3 seems to get some good reviews and on Amazon, you can get the Romeo with the magnifier for about $250. Any experience with this set up?

I know many people have a passion for firearms as well as our love of airguns plus the obvious great knowledge base here makes a good place to ask.

Simple...
Go into Optics Planet, type in red dot sight in the upper, "search" line, hit enter.
Or...here ya go...

Now, on the upper left there's a slider that says, "In stock only", turn that "on".
Then on the left side is a lot of things to make your search more accurate. Go down to the "Price" section, pick the, "$175 to $250",

Now sit and start reading, you'll have about 400 to choose from !!!

Me...I prefer the Holosun brand. I have a "few"... brands of red dot sights. Of all that I have, the Holosun brand offers the best, overall...bang for the dollar.

Mike

P.s. - Primary Arms and Swamp Fox, also build good, reliable, and tough (will withstand accidental drops, on the sight) sights

Last edited:
Reactions: steve123
I also prefer Holosun, but if you are looking for more budget options, I would look at the offerings from AT3. I've used several and like them well enough.

As for a magnifier, I wouldnt bother. I've tried them... all manner of them... I really wanted to like them, but just cant.

Since you are talking of swapping back and forth, I will say firstly that I prefer LPVO's opposed to red dots on PB, but my recent build, a tactical lever gun is a top ejector so a red dot is all I could put on (not a fan of a scout scope) and I'm able to keep a 2.5 inch group at 100 yards with it. I'm not sure a magnifier would get me any better.

I recently bought two different Reflex sights for some pistols, both Holosun and both green illumination which BTW I highly recommend. One 507C from Primary Arms that has the ACSS, and a 407K with the 6 MOA dot. These are excellent sights in every way and am very pleased!

The chevron in the 507 has a sharp point for precise aiming but for speed I use the whole Chevron. It also has a huge outer circle in the reticle that gives an instinctual advantage for quick alignment orientation of the sight to eye for the fastest presentation. You'd have to try one out to see what I mean. It works much better in actuality than I thought possible.

The 407K is very compact because its made mostly for subcompact pistols. I like BIG dots!

These sights are nuclear bright at the highest settings and adjust down low for the darkest night.

Kenzie's Optics has a 10% off deal on your first order. I paid $215 shipped for the 407K.

I recently bought two different Reflex sights for some pistols, both Holosun and both green illumination which BTW I highly recommend. One 507C from Primary Arms that has the ACSS, and a 407K with the 6 MOA dot. These are excellent sights in every way and am very pleased!

The chevron in the 507 has a sharp point for precise aiming but for speed I use the whole Chevron. It also has a huge outer circle in the reticle that gives an instinctual advantage for quick alignment orientation of the sight to eye for the fastest presentation. You'd have to try one out to see what I mean. It works much better in actuality than I thought possible.

The 407K is very compact because its made mostly for subcompact pistols. I like BIG dots!

These sights are nuclear bright at the highest settings and adjust down low for the darkest night.

Kenzie's Optics has a 10% off deal on your first order. I paid $215 shipped for the 407K.
The Primary Arms ACSS chevron is the cats butt. I've got one on a Canik SFX Rival and I love it. Might get another for a Sig P322 I recently picked up. It's now wearing a cheaper Holosun, but deserves better.

The Primary Arms ACSS chevron is the cats butt. I've got one on a Canik SFX Rival and I love it. Might get another for a Sig P322 I recently picked up. It's now wearing a cheaper Holosun, but deserves better.
Ha, what a coincidence, because that's the same exact pistol my ACSS is on!

I hadn't shot a USPSA match in 3 years but I managed a 4th place on Saturday competing against serious pistol shooters half my age which made my day big time.

Ha, what a coincidence, because that's the same exact pistol my ACSS is on!

I hadn't shot a USPSA match in 3 years but I managed a 4th place on Saturday competing against serious pistol shooters half my age which made my day big time.
Sweet..! I call it my 'bling gun'. Never did a match, but darnit, I'm ready with this thing. Superb pistol.
Congrats on 4th! I'd be tickled with that!

Dam you guys, LOL, Just bought me a Liberator II green, I really like light weight and fast handling , Going to try this thing out and see what all the hoopla is about . Not sure what I am going to mount this thing on yet, Bull/Pup for sure , If I can swing it up and take a sparrow out at 30 yards it may just be to cool.
Mike

Reactions: iAMzehTOASTY1

There are some magnifiers in there as well. I have an astigmatism so very little experience with red dots and zero with magnifiers.
Astigmatism and red dots don't mix well, pin point isn't a word I'd use with them and astigmatism. I see two dots, the center one and one 45º down to the right adjoining it. That said for close up it sucks, but for something above 40 yards it's ok. I've got an Sig Sauer Romeo 3 Red Dot. My issues were, getting the dot centered was a pain in the ass, toss in the magnifier and I had to put in a shim on the magnifier to move it over far enough to be almost centered, I. ran out of adjustment. BUT when I did that I could hit my target, Kentucky Windage at 50+ yards. Just note that in daylight green is way brighter than red.

I have the Liberator II pretty cool shooting a can or something at 30 yards , but with my eyes I would need something with 5 or 10 power to be able to see good enough to shoot sparrows or small than a can target, I did put the little green dot on a sparrow on a high line wire at 52 yards but I missed ,
They have 5x magnifiers BUT it does magnify the dot at the same time, I was hitting a squirrel size rock at 50ish yards but I was on a bipod.

Reactions: airgunmike56