Budget $2000 for Compressor. Any suggestions?

Even in their video it's just a standard household plug, same as mine, in the LC-110:

Screenshot at 2022-01-25 14-40-11.1643143310.png

That's the old model, I wish they still make that plug

Ezana4ce 

that link to the newer icon is for the 232 bar version not the 300 bar . i dont think most airgunners would be happy with 232 bar .

if your just filling scuba tanks that would work but not scba . just my 2 cents . I bought a used coltri but havent recieved it yet i hope i like it 

dan

Thanks Dan. That detail eluded me. Last I checked I hadn’t seen the Icons available in the U.S. I think you’ll like the Coltri especially if you got an MCH-6 or MCH-3 at a bargain. Which model did you purchase? I came close to purchasing an MCH-6. For the price point it seems like a good buy. 

cccal
On the Nuvair website the sale price for the gas engine model was for $2500.00, I had the website saved, but looks like they took it down, you might want to check the reviews on the $1999.00 compressor link you have, not very favorable. 

@cccal You may want to take a closer look at what I posted in regards to the Scubastore links and the previous Nuvair sale pricing. Your response reads as if I said absolutely nothing about both points you’re attempting to raise here.

My apologies sir, this was not a reply to your post but it belonged in the body of this thread, my mistake, please accept my apologies.

@cccal No worries. I wasn’t sure what was going on. I just want to help contribute accurate information to this thread for those going through the process of shopping around for quality HPA compressors and researching. It is a considerable investment for many of us hobbyists. 

I buy from Palm Beach Airguns from time to time. They always seem to have one, or two, used compressors for sale in the $2000 range. I would suggest calling them. Also, I would ask about their pre-ship testing of a used compressor and what their warranty, or support, is after sale.

https://palmbeachairguns.com/product-category/4500-psi-air-systems/

Talked to AOA regarding Daystate compressor with RV plug, it's a MCH3. It's a modified version of the 220v version and they can only get it to work with the 110v 30amp rv plug for the US market. That's why it's on sale because the saving will go to an electrician to install the specialized plug. I got quoted $400 from a non licenced electrician but a licenced one won't touch it.

Nuvair MCH6 is also out of the question at the moment. Final cost including tax, shipping, and tariff from Italy ( haha) is $3227 with 6 weeks lead time.

Had also been searching used Coltri, Alkin, and Bauer in California and its non existence in $2000 price range.

The search continues...

I am in the same boat. In fact, when I purchased on of the units of AoA, staff had different explanations for the reason of the RV plug, which should have turned me off right there. But wanting a compressor, I bought it anyway. However, when I got it home, the spec plate on the compressor did not say anything about 30 AMP requirements as some staff at AofA told me; in fact it specifically noted that it was still 110 volts w/no change in the AMPs. I invited an electrician for a quote who indicated it would cost me $600 to put in an RV plug. When I mentioned the compressor and he checked the specs, he then withdrew his quote indicating that he could not help me given the inconsistencies. I returned the compressor after that. 

This makes little sense to me. Here's my motor plate and control box ratings, 14.5 amp, which is in spec with NEC 14ga 15A 120V. I'm running it on a 20A circuit for the surge current.

I can't understand why a 30A plug end is required. Surely the motor and control box which house the run capacitors are wired for phase, common, and ground? The Daystate plate shows 1.1kW or 1,100W which is well under 15A of current draw.

If the current draw and wiring are the same why not just replace the plug end?

IMG_0474.1643303080.jpg

IMG_0475.1643303080.jpg

IMG_0476.1643303081.jpg

I just ordered a new Coltri from Nuvair. It was $2900 to my door..

Wtf? Really!? What model? Gas or 220V. Any other options like auto stop and hour meter?

I think Nuvair usually charges the same for gas or electric MCH6. I bought an electric MCH6 in 2020 and paid $2734.88 (including tax and shipping) from Nuvair to my door. Hour meter is standard. Auto stop would have been extra. Typically, you tell them what it's for (paintball/PCP airgun) and they will configure it with appropriate valves/connections. From what I remember, it was only a couple of days from phone order to arrival (I'm in California and only 140 miles from Nuvair).

This makes little sense to me. Here's my motor plate and control box ratings, 14.5 amp, which is in spec with NEC 14ga 15A 120V. I'm running it on a 20A circuit for the surge current.

I can't understand why a 30A plug end is required. Surely the motor and control box which house the run capacitors are wired for phase, common, and ground? The Daystate plate shows 1.1kW or 1,100W which is well under 15A of current draw.

If the current draw and wiring are the same why not just replace the plug end?

IMG_0474.1643303080.jpg

IMG_0475.1643303080.jpg

IMG_0476.1643303081.jpg

AOA should really use common plugs for this model like yours. But your picture really helps. At least I have some hard numbers to go by now. All of the electricians I talked to were scratching their heads when I told them I wanted a new RV plug outlet for a compressor. 

The cost of LC110 and outlet install is approaching Daystate Type 2 model in price. Starting to think long and hard about this model. Comes with a MCH6 motor as well. Just connect to my dryer outlet, saves some trouble of looking for someone to install a dedicated outlet. But the AOA sales guy did mention I would need to wire a 220v plug for the compressor itself as it doesn't come with one. I wonder how difficult would that be, can't find any info on that anywhere. 

Easy-peasy to install a dryer plug (either 3 or 4 conductor) head... but unplugging the dryer and plugging in the compressor will be a hassle and those are some large gauge blades and conductors you'll be repeatedly disconnecting and connecting that carry a high amperage load everytime you want to fill. So it's a physical hassle and perhaps an insertion duty issue with the receptacle.

I'll admit I am entirely baffled by the 30 A plug-end if the motor ratings and current ratings align. If the 30A plug is just 3 conductors it's a matter of $5 or less to snip and strip the wire and install a standard NEMA 5-15P plug head or if you want to get fancy a NEMA 6-20P with a simple receptacle swap if you wanted.

This kind of "feels" like some weird "NEC" thing where a 30A plug makes sense... but actually doesn't, based on the load?

Either way, FWIW, I love my LC-110.

This compressor deal is so crazy. The air gun industry is going nuts now bringing out all these new pcps with out putting any consideration on the problems of 

the compressors cost. You can bet in a year or so there will be so many used air guns on the market at bargain prices. I have said this before and will again. The

New buyer has no idea how unreliable the. Cheaper compressors are and once they do they will be baying out and selling there guns. The average Joe lunch bucket 

Guy will not fork out two or three or more grand for a compressor. Air guns are neat I grant you. But with every thing going up now days this can,t keep going in this industry 

Except for the few. I saw the same thing happen in the racing go kart industry in the 1970,s. You could be set up in a competitive racing kart and almost every thing

You needed back then. For $2000. Today if you want to be ab!e to compete $15000 to $20000 or more. It drove the average karting family out of it. Not many tracks or 

Shops around today. The releyblity of entry level compressors needs to be addessed.

Fly

Reactions: islandmanstx