• *Effective 3/27/2024 - The discussion of the creation, fabrication, or modification of airgun moderators is prohibited. The discussion of any "adapters" used to convert an airgun moderator to a firearm silencer will result in immediate termination of the account.*
  • The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Buck Rail Moderator

That makes sense. I have not observed the helicoil inserts to be any more durable than well printed threads. The biggest issue is whether you cross thread them. It is easier to make that mistake with printed threads.

If you are careful in your handling one is as good as the other, although some will argue with that, I suppose.

Reactions: iAMzehTOASTY1
Definitely not an insert. If I had to guess, I would say printed, and it doesn’t appear to be chased with a tap as there would probably be hair like shavings.
Caveat first that I am not experienced with 3D printing. I would imagine the best way to thread would be to tap a hole created as part of the printing. I don't know how smooth 3D printing can be but threads need to be really smooth.

Reactions: OldSpook
That makes sense. I have not observed the helicoil inserts to be any more durable than well printed threads. The biggest issue is whether you cross thread them. It is easier to make that mistake with printed threads.

If you are careful in your handling one is as good as the other, although some will argue with that, I suppose.
That one you made for me last summer is still threading on and off fine with no issues with the printed threads.

Reactions: OldSpook
Just got my buck-rail last week and it has a metal insert

D1E533EB-922C-46E5-81B9-8AB1E6EF0E71.jpeg

I recently put one on my bottled 2240. It has a metal insert. It is far from the quietest mod I have but it’s definitely the lightest. For the price, I’m not complaining.
I'm glad that someone else as said that 'far from the quietest' mine actually made it louder. They refunded my money...thank you! It may have been a bad print or I was just putting out too much air out of my Maverick .22 and overwhelmed it 110 bar. I was really hoping it was going to work.

• Wow
Reactions: iAMzehTOASTY1
Put a tiny bit of silicon oil on it from time to time. Should hold up until the day that it fails ;)
DO NOT, REPEAT DO NOT put silicon oil on anodized metal, you WILL NOT have any metal left when you're done. The stuff reacts with the anodizing, I darn neared screwed up one of my barrels doing that. Honestly, I'm trying to find out where this silicon oil thing came from. N70 o-rings are fine with something like Mobile 1, yeah, keep it out of the high pressure areas but beyond that I love the stuff on anything that requires lubrication. I've even tried it in the barrels of my pew pew's and it even stops some fouling, a touch more pressure and heat in them.

Last edited:
DO NOT, REPEAT DO NOT put silicon oil on anodized metal, you WILL NOT have any metal left when you're done. The stuff reacts with the anodizing, I darn neared screwed up one of my barrels doing that. Honestly, I'm trying to find out where this silicon oil thing came from. N70 o-rings are fine with something like Mobile 1, yeah, keep it out of the high pressure areas but beyond that I love the stuff on anything that requires lubrication. I've even tried it in the barrels of my pew pew's and it even stops some fouling, a touch more pressure and heat in them.
You are saying that silicon oil which we use on springers (and have for years) and PCP guns (all over inside the actions) will eat up the metal? I've never had that experience, please provide evidence for this so that we can mitigate the problems we have caused to our rifles? Mind you, I'm not being a smart ass here. I've never seen what you are describing and would appreciate more information about this phenomenon.

You are saying that silicon oil which we use on springers (and have for years) and PCP guns (all over inside the actions) will eat up the metal? I've never had that experience, please provide evidence for this so that we can mitigate the problems we have caused to our rifles? Mind you, I'm not being a smart ass here. I've never seen what you are describing and would appreciate more information about this phenomenon.
Technically not me, another member of the forum posted this and it's true, it chewed the S out of my barrel threads. I'm a huge fan, as I said of Mobile one or even Tri-flow but I cannot attest to how it works on o-rings.

Please post the proof of this as silicone is common with aluminum.

For threads, use a lubricant, silicone oil and grease are not considered metal lubricants.

Last edited:
Another (y) for Terry and his products. Had a very early production of the 2240 slip on moderator with the thinner smooth wall. Worked great but when I tried to remove it I grabbed the body instead of using a block to knock it off. I broke it, totally my fault. I contacted him and asked if there was any way to glue or fix it. He sent me a new & improved version (no charge) and told me to use a wooden block to remove it. I have bought 2 others since then with the heli coil threads for other guns.