• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Bubble Level ?

Can someone tell me their experience with using a bubble level on an airgun ? Is it useful and beneficial in all shooting situations ? Or just in a bench rest situation ?
I mostly shoot off hand in the field so I was considering if using one would improve my accuracy ?
thanks for your time.

john f.

Depends on your shooting habits. The bubble level does come handy when you start shooting as it helps you get into the habit of keeping you gun level and not canting to one side. Beyond that I don't find it serving much purpose once you get it right. if you shooting extremely long distances then you should get a level because at long distances even a small amount of cant cause your bullet to go way off target. If you cant your rifle to the left, your shots will impact to the left, and lower, than your point of aim. Likewise, if you cant your rifle to the right, your bullets will impact low and right. A one degree cant will produce five inches of shift at 1000 yards

It's very useful if you plan on taking longer shots, I have it on just about every weapon I shoot regularly. Having that scope set up right before you use a bubble level is equally important. Other wise if one or both is out, then the bubble level will not serve you well at all. So make sure that your scope is set up right, then use your bubble.....if you, so choose. Best in your adventures, Steve

A word of advice when mounting a bubble level to your rifle. After laboriously mounting a scope and rings assuring that everything is level and true I found that the additional bubble level I mounted to the dove tail mount itself was not level. When you mount one of these bubbles to your rail you just can't assume like I did that it is mounted true to your scope. Apparently when tightening the small bubble level to the dove tail I got it canted slightly. So throw your bubble level from your scope mounting kit (the magnetic base bubble) on the rail and verify the bubble level you are mounting for reference is true to the rail and your scope. Just some advice to save you from what I experienced.

I prefer the style of the Vortex levels - http://www.vortexoptics.com/product/vortex-30mm-riflescope-tube-bubble-level on my scopes. However, I also don't like having to move my head around in order to see them and sometimes they end up blocking the view of the focus knob. So, I end up mounting them upside down. By doing that, I can just focus my left eye on the knob and/or the level quickly.