BSA R10 SE.......??

I'm in the market for a new pcp.....again 😎.
I have been looking at the Brocock Sniper XR as well as the BSA R10 SE. (The Brocock Compatto as well for what it's worth.)
I've no doubt the quality of the Brocock really. Too many positives out there by users. But....if any would like to give me some feed back, opinion, advice, experience, etc, blah, blah, blah, on the BSA R10 SE, I would be VERY appreciative. I am kind of leaning toward the BSA R10 at the current time. That changes every few hours...LOL
My AGN brethren are always a good source........thank you guys in advance.

BTW........from what I have been reading, the BSA is very appealing to me. Seems to be a very solid, quality rifle........let me know pros/cons.........Fire away!!

My r10 se in 22 is one of my favorite weapons. It is my most accurate.

DF42C050-04B7-4CBE-BFDC-FCD0F72495D2.jpeg

biggest con for that gun or BSA in general is that they don't have a dealer in the US or you can't buy it and if you do buy it somehow there is no support for it. When I needed even a simple Oring kit for mine I had to order from UK which shipping cost more than the kit then it's not the right kit. doh!!!
the good news is i have a old super 10 that still shoots and has never leaked , it now has a v block and cf tank for shot count and weight , its a gun i have confidence in shooting , im sure the old reg will give up soon and i think i have an idea for that , maybe the huma used on the rapid hm ? who knows , but has been a great gun for years

20180827_130212.jpg

the good news is i have a old super 10 that still shoots and has never leaked , it now has a v block and cf tank for shot count and weight , its a gun i have confidence in shooting , im sure the old reg will give up soon and i think i have an idea for that , maybe the huma used on the rapid hm ? who knows , but has been a great gun for years

View attachment 309490

They are mostly simple and reliable with few moving parts. Problem is eventually something would need fixing, mine needed a few minor things like oring and took me hours of looking on UK sites and most of them won’t ship over the pound on top of that. It’s just my personally experience.

They are mostly simple and reliable with few moving parts. Problem is eventually something would need fixing, mine needed a few minor things like oring and took me hours of looking on UK sites and most of them won’t ship over the pound on top of that. It’s just my personally experience.
That's what's this forum is all about!

The r10 has always been my favorite looking air rifle. However, it's old technology. Get something that was designed this decade.

100% agree! However not all old designs are bad IF the design fits your need. For BSA its sweet spot is 177@ @12 FPE and they are great. If you need something different then problems really starts. The Ultra SE, scorpion, gold star in 177 are great even though they aren’t the most efficient bit if you shoot 177 @11.5 FPE and leave it then they are great. Everything on their guns are designed for 177 @12 FPE.

Well, I just got in from work, (bad storms here in Alabama tonight), and just read all the responses from you fellas. What I kinda gather from putting it all together is that the R10 is a really fine quality, accurate and reliable rifle. However, may be considered "dated" technology or an old platform I guess you would say. Which is not really a deal killer to me necessarily......so long as it is a quality, reliable and accurate rifle. Having to procure parts from the UK if need be is not a hindrance either really. I already own 4 British made rifles and have many times had to order parts from the UK.....no problem.

I really appreciate everyones input on this. The pool of knowledge, experience and opinions that can be gathered here is very valuable sometimes.
Decisions...decisions...LOL! I
I am probably, that is probably, gonna order a new rifle tomorrow. I'm gonna read some more tonight and sleep on it........we shall see.

Reactions: joelayfield
100% agree! However not all old designs are bad IF the design fits your need. For BSA its sweet spot is 177@ @12 FPE and they are great. If you need something different then problems really starts. The Ultra SE, scorpion, gold star in 177 are great even though they aren’t the most efficient bit if you shoot 177 @11.5 FPE and leave it then they are great. Everything on their guns are designed for 177 @12 FPE.
If you tune an m3 down to 12 fpe shooting .177 you'd get, probably get well over 3000 shots per fill. verses maybe 190 with the R10.
full power the r10 might get you 45 - 50 shots per fill in .177 versus the m3 you'd likely see 400 to 800 shots per fill.
this is just an example of one aspect. That is a huge difference.

Reactions: qball
If you tune an m3 down to 12 fpe shooting .177 you'd get, probably get well over 3000 shots per fill. verses maybe 190 with the R10.
full power the r10 might get you 45 - 50 shots per fill in .177 versus the m3 you'd likely see 400 to 800 shots per fill.
this is just an example of one aspect. That is a huge difference.

Indeed FX guns are extremely efficient if tuned right. However, in the sweet spot BSA guns aren't that bad and very consistent because of their simple design with TP as limiting factor or "second regulator". Not everyone needs or want the ability to tune and I've retuned a ton of my friends' FX guns to get them to shoot at their full potential. Also keep in mind the R10 has a smaller air tank, after 100 shots it really doesn't make that much of a difference. There is also the look and feel of a traditional bolt action rifle, if done right they are very nice to shoot. As much as I disliked working on my old Ultra SE I still miss that little gun, it just felt great and fun to shoot.

Just don't try to tune BSA guns to be something else besides a 12FPE 177 pellet shooter, the R10 can get to 20-25fpe relatively comfortably but not very efficient at that point and higher. At the end of the day stick to factory tune or LOWER, trying to push these traditional guns higher in power isn't fruitful most of the time. Personally I like the older versions with everything made of steel and brass, think R10 is still that way but the newer models might not be anymore.

Last edited:
Reactions: TiredRooster
Well. I've always wanted an R10 but never purchased one for whatever the reason. I can't seem to find it in me to get one now for only one reason; and that's because I do not want to be let down where I think the R10 has always placed itself in my mind. However, if I ever found a used one for the right price, sub or full power .177, I would purchase it. not sure how much use it would get but I'd have to get it.
IMO this is what an air rifle is supposed to look like:
1669823938590.png