BSA R10 SE.......??

Guys, I asked about BSA air rifles on a UK forum.
Here in NZ I can get either a BSA R-10 MK2 .25 cal Walnut stock FAC rated with quick fill, regulated 40 shots per charge with silencer, or a BSA GOLDSTAR SE Red Laminated stock, .22 cal only, 10 shot magazine . 12 ft pds , regulated.
The members there said that BSA means 'Bits Stuck Anywhere'...but is that just because it's a home grown product to them?
The BSA seems to be well regarded in the US (or am I wrong?).
I'm looking for a PCP air rifle for indoor 25yard benchrest...but don't have a large budget (Anschutz cheap model is $4000+ here in NZ).
The BSA's are 1/2 that price. Not expecting Anschutz quality and not intending to shoot for an Olympic team, so are the BSA's in general OK, or just passable?
I would like to hit the inner 10 ring of my target cards if the BSA is accurate enough for that.
Otherwise...yeah, I'll be saving all my spare cash.

Annie.jpg

OK, thanks for that.
I did wonder about the 'calibre'.
I'm currently shooting a CZ457 .22 rimfire, and it's a lovely accurate rifle. But a weird Govt and difficulty in obtaining a good supply of ammo here makes the air rifle scene look quite tempting. Our NZ Target Shooting folks are OK with us shooting air rifles and not rimfires so it's a matter of sell the CZ457 and get an air rifle.
I have found a new Weihrauch HW100T PCP for similar $$ to the BSA which may be the better buy?
I don't know, but I think a nitro piston rifle would be a pain at benchrest with having to break position too much for each shot...otherwise I'd also look at one of them. Current thinking is that I'll go with PCP but I'm prepared to accept advice about that.
Thanks.

OK, thanks for that.
I did wonder about the 'calibre'.
I'm currently shooting a CZ457 .22 rimfire, and it's a lovely accurate rifle. But a weird Govt and difficulty in obtaining a good supply of ammo here makes the air rifle scene look quite tempting. Our NZ Target Shooting folks are OK with us shooting air rifles and not rimfires so it's a matter of sell the CZ457 and get an air rifle.
I have found a new Weihrauch HW100T PCP for similar $$ to the BSA which may be the better buy?
I don't know, but I think a nitro piston rifle would be a pain at benchrest with having to break position too much for each shot...otherwise I'd also look at one of them. Current thinking is that I'll go with PCP but I'm prepared to accept advice about that.
Thanks.
spring powered airguns have other things to deal with , not as much power , harder to shoot accurately , just a different ball game , but " you dont need a air source , if you can breathe your gun will shoot , but altitude does affect a springer

I never thought I would pay a lot of money for a pellet or BB gun but I have two BSA R10s and I love the guns. I really enjoy the Walnut stock and the quality of the guns. I have had the pumps most of my life and with a certain amount of accuracy and fun. The advantage of the PCP is the available shot count, its a bit heavier too no doubt about that.. The accuracy is way better.. When i relized the air preasure was not a issue when pesting.. I liked it a whole lot more. I didnt break the bank on a compressor and even though I have a Fiber dive bottle I just fill the gun direct. It seems way easyer by far. The springer I had the most experience with was my father inlaws and we spent a whole day shooting one day, purchased a better scope and still just didnt get it to perform as well as we thought you should be able to. (fair enough we killed a LOT of squerals with the gun over the years.. But target work gets the real story.. and it was junk if you rated it on that performance.

Last edited:
BSA rifles have always had a great reputation of accuracy and the R-10 is no exception. If you like the traditional wood stock, this is hard to beat, especially for the price that AOA is selling them for. I'm sure you could always find parts for them somewhere. O rings are always available if you know the sizes. It's a pretty gun and compares with the Daystate Revere.

Reactions: joelayfield
BSA rifles have always had a great reputation of accuracy and the R-10 is no exception. If you like the traditional wood stock, this is hard to beat, especially for the price that AOA is selling them for. I'm sure you could always find parts for them somewhere. O rings are always available if you know the sizes. It's a pretty gun and compares with the Daystate Revere.
real good deal at AOA

Well, I just got in from work, (bad storms here in Alabama tonight), and just read all the responses from you fellas. What I kinda gather from putting it all together is that the R10 is a really fine quality, accurate and reliable rifle. However, may be considered "dated" technology or an old platform I guess you would say. Which is not really a deal killer to me necessarily......so long as it is a quality, reliable and accurate rifle. Having to procure parts from the UK if need be is not a hindrance either really. I already own 4 British made rifles and have many times had to order parts from the UK.....no problem.

I really appreciate everyones input on this. The pool of knowledge, experience and opinions that can be gathered here is very valuable sometimes.
Decisions...decisions...LOL! I
I am probably, that is probably, gonna order a new rifle tomorrow. I'm gonna read some more tonight and sleep on it........we shall see.
If I were going to buy a BSA from AoA I would call them and discuss parts and service. They are an official service center for Daystate, so I don't see that as a far leap to service BSA as well.