• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Bsa r10 se or aa s510 xtra?

Screenshot_2020-12-14-06-50-082.1615008585.png
Screenshot_2020-12-14-06-52-462.1615008585.png

My last purchases. I bought a 3rd gun same time forgot what it was still in the double box.

Forget them both . HW100s in 177 . Nothing fancy like power adjusters or transfer port restrictors , just the best trigger , great fitting stock , superb barrel , smooth sidelever , simplest magazine and the best machining and finish found on any airgun. It’s like the HW30 of PCP’s , everyone should have one. That’s why Weihrauch still sells a pile of them after nearly 20 years in production.

In 2020 I bought the BSA R10 SE/TH .22 and I cannot recommend it. It's boring to shoot a gun that holds zero EVERY DAY and stacks pellets into one clean hole. I shoot it to 100 yards and it performs there too.

If you like boring consistency and a great shot count then go for it.

The talk about hammer spring and reg adjustment is SILLY and I would NEVER change this gun's factory settings, it's too good.

I don't know about the BSA r10. I do remember looking at it when contemplating a PCP, and ended up choosing the s510 carbine--in part b/c the Prosport I'd gotten two years earlier was such a gem. The s510 has been perfect. It's an unregulated .22. The power adjuster was one of the prime selling points, b/c I like being able to make the gun backyard friendly whenever necessary, and it works like a charm. I've got the Ultimate Sporter in .25, regulated, and it's also a splendid rifle. Part of my preference has to do with the traditional looks. I'm not a bottle guy, though the FX Royale 500 might change my mind.

Well, a wrench just got thrown in! Went to look at some today. My wife will be shooting this one actually. She didnt like the r10, too heavy. BUT, she really liked the hw110 laminate carbine. I might be going with this one in .177 I like the small 170cc res too. And when my kids are older they will be shooting this one too. Im going to do a little more research on the gun. Not the direction I wanted to go, but, looks like I have a reason to buy myself another gun 👍

I want something like the Steyr Hunting 5. A semi-auto is what I need at PD Town. But it needs a belt fed magazine like the Sig-Sauer MCX Virtus. And preferably more than "only" 30 shots. In fact, when PD's are in a group, full auto would be nice.

As far as the accuracy of his BSA that davecole reports, my Lonestar .25 can shoot 3/8" 5-shot groups at 50 yards with JSB Exact King 25.4 pellets on a still air day, which means in Montana you get up at daybreak for like two weeks in order to find that magic day. On a slight wind day, it will shoot sub 1" groups just as davecole gets. My barrel is 24" long, which some of the Lonestars had and some did not. I'm also shooting around 850 FPS with a DonnyFL Tanto suppressor. The wind is always my problem, not the accuracy of the rifle. In spite of being unregulated, in the middle of the bell curve it shoots just like a regulated rifle. I got some new pellets, JSB Exact King Heavy MKII, and the weight varied a bit. I chronographed a 7-shot string and got 745, 741, 742, 745, 753, 747, 747, 741 FPS. The vertical spread was 1/2" at 50 yards but the horizontal spread was 2" at least due to variable gusty wind. The weight variation had something to do with the velocity spread, so I will weigh and measure some pellets and repeat the test with better pellets and should get a better result.

There is no doubt that BSA makes good barrels. I'm just waiting for BSA or somebody to make a .25 semi-auto that is powerful, fully regulated and can do something like at least 30 rounds from a belt fed magazine. Yeah, I could get another AR-15 (had a couple of those), but the noise, cost, and the fact that H4895, 8208 XBR or TAC powder is unobtainium these days means that for now it is mainly airgun mainly at PD Town. Even .22LR is unobtainium, and for now I am saving my stash of Velocitors and Stingers. H4895 and TAC are imported powders, so I expect future supplies to be expensive and scarce. Bullets, powder and primers are so hard to get that I have resorted to buying factory ammo, pulling bullets, dumping the powder and reworking the rounds to where they shoot accurately. It's major trouble that can only be applied to low volume shooting like big game hunting. High power PCP's will probably become more and more in demand. A BSA, AA, FX, Daystate, Brocock, Edgun, Taipan or similar quality PCP should be seeing huge future demand. More powder burners will look to airguns as airgun power comes up, compressor prices come down and airgun manufacturers start giving us what we really want. Several of the airgun manufacturers already have the accurate barrel issue under control. The wind causes the small barrel accuracy variance issues to be a nonissue in field use from my experience. I need a wind speed meter that measures wind speed and direction at the barrel AND the target (with readout in the scope......I can wish) and if that ever becomes a reality then I will worry about the small accuracy differences between good quality rifle barrels.