• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Tuning BSA R-10, New Huma regulator, hammer spring adjustment not affecting power

Let us know what your max speed is and if the speed quit increasing before you ran out of hammer spring adjustment. If you can hit around 900 with 15’s and then it just stays the same as you turn the spring in more, we are in business.

Take it apart and turn the reg up. You’re getting the max velocity for your regs set point with your hammer spring backed all the way off. Your reg is set too low. Next you need to decide what pellet you want to shoot and set your reg so your max speed is a little higher than where you want to shoot them. I have two .22 guns that I like to shoot 15.89’s and 18.1’s. I set the reg for the lighter pellets to be 900fps then back the hammer spring down to 880fps. Then I just live with the 18’s going a little slower. It’s a balance tune in which both will be accurate.

Thank you for the help, I'm pretty sure I understand what you are saying, the reg pressure is too low for the hammer spring to be affecting the power yet? I took the reg out, adjusted it almost a half turn counter clockwise and then back again a little bit, as per Huma instructions for increasing power. I was not able to test it today though as I ran out of sunlight and could not get the chronograph to work under my indoor lights so will try again tomorrow. 

Thanks again for the help it is greatly appreciated! +accuracy

MARK your BEFORE and AFTER dial indicators with a sharpie on the regulator itself so you ain't doing all of this blindly in case you gotta go back.

Ok, now I'm really confused. I degassed the gun, turned the reg up a bit more, in the exact same manner that I did last time, counter-clockwise, went past my intended mark (I used a sharpie this time to keep track) and then moved it back to my mark, which was a higher setting than before and I'm getting results with both 15 and 18 grains that are 20 fps slower than it was before. Any thoughts? I don't want to keep raising the reg pressure if there is some kind of issue or something I need to deal with first. 

Thank you in advance, it's a great help!

Are you turning the hammer spring tension up? You need to get the 890 you are looking for with your hammer spring close to being maxed out.

I hadn't touched the hammer spring yet other than just putting it back to where I thought it was close to factory setting. It was just a guess though so could definitely be off. I'll try turning the hammer spring up and retest. Report back shortly. 

Are you turning the hammer spring tension up? You need to get the 890 you are looking for with your hammer spring close to being maxed out.

Boom! That worked like a charm. I have the 15's coming out at almost exactly 890 fps and the 18's coming out at between 845 and 850. Going to do some accuracy testing for both calibers now, Thank you so much again for the help Vetmx!

The big question is can you get the 15’s to go faster than 890 if you keep turning the HS up? You want to hit the 890-900fps, then as you continue to turn the HS up, your speed doesn’t increase anymore.

Hmm, good question, I'll have to check that tomorrow. I'm assuming I basically want to be able to turn the hammer spring up until the fps stops increasing and then turn the reg down to 890? Basically find that sweet spot where the hammer spring stops affecting fps and the reg takes over from there?

Here is a pic of the preliminary accuracy testing. For today I only had 42 yards from barrel to target to work with. I'll be able to stretch that out quite a bit when needed. Wind was almost non existent with just a tiny puff here and there. I shot the top row then turned the hammer spring down a quarter turn and shot the rest. A couple of the groups on each side were super tight but obviously I don't think I've hit the sweet spot for speed with either pellet yet. 

I also haven't cleaned the barrel for a couple of years so should probably do that as well. 

I'll work on the hammer spring / regulator relationship again tomorrow and report back. I've never had a gun apart like this before for any extensive repair or tuning. This is great, I'm learning a ton.

20201223_153701-picsay.1608756109.jpg

You want the gun to max out at 890+or- no matter how much you keep turning the spring up. Then back it off 10fps and start testing. You need to keep turning that spring and see just how fast your gun will shoot with your current reg setting. If you crank that spring all the way and your gun is spitting those 15’s too much over 900, you will need to back the reg down a little.

You want the gun to max out at 890+or- no matter how much you keep turning the spring up. Then back it off 10fps and start testing. You need to keep turning that spring and see just how fast your gun will shoot with your current reg setting. If you crank that spring all the way and your gun is spitting those 15’s too much over 900, you will need to back the reg down a little.

There should be a "thumbs up" button for helpful posts such as this like there is on other forums. Thanks again Vetmx! 

There are a ton of guys on here that can walk you through this process. It was just my turn I guess. Quite a few years ago I decided to put a reg in a BSA Ultra. Bob Sterne was instrumental in getting me through it. The problem was, I had to read everything 50 times to understand it. As my PCP knowledge grew, his writings became easier to understand. Now us dummies can pass along how to do it without confusing someone too bad. It’s really is quite simple if you don’t overthink it.

I have a BSA R10, great regulator, awesome barrel, love it. I messed with my Taipan Vet regulator and many people helped me through the tuning for accuracy. Thank You Vetmx and Hobbyman2007!

In the quotes below Hobbyman2007 summarized nicely because I got lost in the details. There are many other VERY useful quotes but for now:

"Here’s the coles notes version.
1 -adjust the hammer spring to get more velocity until there is no gain in speed.
If the speed keeps climbing until you are at coil bind . Your regulator is set too high for the spring. Reduce regulator pressure or get a bigger spring
2-reduce hammer spring tension until you are between 3-5% below max velocity. Call it done.

Now if your velocity is too low or too high. Refer to step one."

Source:

https://www.gatewaytoairguns.org/GTA/index.php?topic=181519.0

From Vetmx and I think this fits right in:

"I know we have been texting but some of this should be posted here for other people to reference. Now that 918fps is your max, set the gun for 900 and do a little string. Remember to fire 3 shots to let the spring settle after you make an adjustment, then take notes. Adjust up 1/4 turn, fire 3 then do a 10 shot string, go up 1/4 and do it again until you get close to your set point max speed. Then go back and go down from your original setting a couple times. See if your ES gets better or worse at any point. Where ever you finally wind up, then test for accuracy. If you have a tight ES at let’s say 915fps but the gun isn’t accurate, then it’s time to adjust the reg down a smidge. If your ES stays about the same from 880-915fps. Just test all velocities for best accuracy."

Source:

https://www.gatewaytoairguns.org/GTA/index.php?topic=181519.40

I hope that all fits the issue?

Hey Johnny, thanks for all the help! I have been tied up for the past week and haven't had time to finish up tuning the BSA. Now I get notice this morning that the FX Continuum I ordered a couple of weeks ago, that wasn't supposed to be here until the end of Feb, is on a truck for delivery today. Great problem to have, play with the new FX or finish tuning the BSA. I'll probably alternate between the two because I want to finish the BSA while the instruction to do so is still fresh in my mind. Just wanted to touch base and let you know I appreciate your help and follow up and wasn't ghosting you. 👻

I hope that all fits the issue?

Hey Johnny, thanks for all the help! I have been tied up for the past week and haven't had time to finish up tuning the BSA. Now I get notice this morning that the FX Continuum I ordered a couple of weeks ago, that wasn't supposed to be here until the end of Feb, is on a truck for delivery today. Great problem to have, play with the new FX or finish tuning the BSA. I'll probably alternate between the two because I want to finish the BSA while the instruction to do so is still fresh in my mind. Just wanted to touch base and let you know I appreciate your help and follow up and wasn't ghosting you. 
1f47b.svg

Cool with me and Congratulations on having the BSA under control and getting the FX early, nice surprise.