• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

BSA R-10 Mk.2 Standard

Gonna go ahead and put my review of the BSA R-10 here, based on one I wrote on a Dutch airgun forum.

Calibre: .22
Power: 40 J / 30 foot pounds
Magazine: yes
Mounting: 13mm Dovetail
Length: 97 cm
Weight: 3.1 kg
Retail price (in Europe): €1000 - €1100
(Personal) score: 8 out of 10
Price/quality ratio: 9 out of 10
Product page: http://bsaguns.co.uk/air-rifles/pcp-airguns/R-10-MK2.aspx

Recently bought this gun second hand, my 'price/quality ratio' score is based on that. Gun was in an impeccable state, barely used.

This is the first really accurate gun I bought. My older guns at the time were a Benjamin Trail NP XL and a Evanix AR-6, both of which shoot hard rather than accurate; I also have a Marauder P-rod but mainly use it for plinking, with a red dot sight.

Started out at 25 meters and haven't really used it often on distances longer than 50-60m; you just have to go for the tightest grouping, regardless the distance :) . Enough of a challenge with this small calibre in windy conditions, I'd say.

For benchrest shooting, I find filling up magazines rather boring, and prefer a single shot tray. Luckily enough it came with one, the old type though

You have to get used to it a bit, because of the breech which is closed at the top (single shot trays in FX guns, for example, are way easier to use), but when you're actually used to it, it works well enough.

Gonna buy some extra buddy bottles for it, which can simply be replaced in the field, and after a while I will replace the regulator by a custom Dutch one (HumaReg), for an even more constant pellet speed. With such reg it actually becomes a good 100m BR gun, despite its low calibre (most shooters ranking high in the competitions use bigger calibres: http://100mairgun.nl/post/2014/10/Nils-wint-100m-wedstrijd-Ochten.aspx . Dutch site, ranking at the bottom is clear enough though).

Recommended pellets: well, you always should test yourself obviously, however not unlike others I found that JSB Heavy (15.89 grains) group very well. Others have very good results with the Air Arms Field diabolo, 16 grains. These are produced by JSB too. BSA guns typically prefer the bigger sized pellets (5.52 and 5.53 mm, no idea if these have actual counterparts in the imperial system).

PROS

*Very nice, light and adjustable trigger, I'd say match grade.
*Nicely balanced gun
*Cocking it doesn't take too much effort, and the bolt only needs a soft push with your thumb to close and fall back into place
*The full shroud, with internal baffles, makes it reasonably quiet already, additionally a LDC can be mounted. Tested it with one, accuracy was not impacted
*40-45 regulated shots / fill . BSA says 50, but as usual that's a bit optimistic. Still, not bad at all.
*Easily exchangable buddy bottle (which has to be removed the right way though - first you unscrew it +/- 1 turn, then you shoot your reg empty)

CONS

*Gun uses a filling probe. I really prefer a quick disconnect coupling directly mounted to the gun, the way e.g. FX does it (Boss, Royale, ...), or Crosman/Benjamin on e.g. the Marauder pistol. O-rings on filling probes go bad way too fast, even when lubing them properly and only taking them out of the gun when absolutely necessary.
*13 mm dovetail, in stead of the more typical 11 mm. Really inconvenient, you have to order the right mounts for it, or an adapter (or not, and use 11mm scope rings, but that just doesn't seem right to me).
*If you try to mount a bipod on the sling stud, it will most probably cover the hole for the filling probe. Can be fixed with a ring around the buddy bottle, with a sling stud on it, but still.
*If you mount a rifle sling to the existing studs, which are quite close together, the only way to carry it sort of conveniently is upside down, which I don't like.
*Regulator on my model is quite useless, I'd say (more recent production batches are fitted with a different one, it seems). This is mine:

Concluding: Quite a list of contras, but don't be mistaken by that, I love this gun. This one is gonna stay with me for years at least, possibly forever.

Well I rarely have that range available to me, at the place I can use for shooting now we only have 40m available; sub-1 inch groups are definitely possible at that distance. (EDIT actually, used to metric units as I am, I just realised that one inch is still quite long and not that impressive at all. Let me put it differently: on a good day, with not too much or at least constant wind, all the holes in the paper touch each other.)

100m competitions, as held in The Netherlands, are usually indoor btw; even at 'only' 75m, the wind will have quite the effect on a .22 when shooting outdoors, so my results might not be too useful.

But, as I said, if the regulator is replaced, as to achieve more constant speeds, it should be a good gun for 100m despite its quite small calibre; additionally, the baffles can be removed (reportedly this has some effect on accuracy too), and obviously the 'sweet spot' for your pellet of choice needs to be found. I know this one Dutch shooter who obtains some very good results with his R10; he modified the gun as described, and shoots Air Arms Field 5.52.
Note that most serious 100m shooters sort their pellets by weight and size, as to obtain the best results, something I don't do - I get why they do it, just don't want to get into that.

Bert
I also just bought a new BSA Black Wrapped .22 R10
I love it..... and I do use the single shot tray as well... 
I continue to get under 1/2 groups at 40 yards with no problem... I am still getting very good groups at 50 ... but it is the shooter not the gun ... this I am sure of.. ;-)

But ....
I must disagree about the filling probe... I prefer it over the foster fittings. (at first I hated the probe) 
I lube mine every session with plumbers grease and have no issues at all... much easier than those foster fittings to me...
I do have plenty of foster fitting guns and hate fiddling with them to make sure they seal. I have actually had them pop off during fill...

One con --- I have experienced is that the gun should not be filled to recommended pressure.
I find it shoots better starting at 2800 psi or lower.... 

Hiya

well I couldn't resist and bought the new model of the single shot tray, this one:

I like it way more.

The reason I prefer foster fittings is that I have quite some airguns, and a female ('coupler', right?) foster fitting on my hose. Airguns with a male ('plug') foster connector are the easiest to have then. On my probes I put a male plug too, but that makes the probes themselves quite useless to me, just another thing that wears out.
Normally the ring on the female fitting should 'click' right into its place when connecting the fitting, if it doesn't it can come lose after increasing the pressure just a little indeed. We noticed that a small drop of silicone oil makes sure it locks into place by itself properly :)

Concerning the pressure, I notice the same thing, and I'm not the only one. Although it seemed to me that it starts grouping well at a slightly higher pressure, around 190bar (2750 psi, +/-). Another thing I *seemed* to notice, although I need to test it further, is that the gun groups better when tethered to a scuba tank with an external regulator (I use the quite known model by Aqua Environment), set around the mentioned pressure or a bit lower. (I usually shoot tethered to the scuba tank when bench resting).

If this is actually the case, that's another argument for replacing the regulator. John Bowkett, who afaik designed the reg in the R10, is nothing short of an airgun genius, yet I prefer the regs made in the Netherlands (HuMaReg), which are quite affordable too.

I never gave it a thought to try it...
but I have all the things to tether the gun to a regulated air tank... I am going to try it ...
I am sure my 50 yard groups will improve..... but to be honest... my r10 seems to be regulated well, but I am sure there is always room for improvement...

The new model single load is very nice and easy and I would rather use this than load the magazine....

Now, I am waiting for a .25 caliber R10 to come around.
I will make sure I get one of them...... 

Nope... Belgium :). Not unlike our neighbours to the north we have really strict firearm laws, yet quite permissive airgun laws (no hunting allowed, however). At least for the time being... I see no need for a change in legislation, as there are really no incidents...
Not too much places you can go to for some shooting fun, at least if you want do it safely - well, our population density is just a 'tiny bit' higher than in the States :) , limiting possibilities.

Silencers are illegal here, unless they cannot be removed, like when they are installed by the factory. I did test a decent one when I was in the Netherlands (legal there), and although my POI changed a little bit, the groups stayed tight.

Then again, I have the fully shrouded version, which isn't whisper quiet, but still quiet enough to my taste. Definitely backyard friendly, I'd say.

What brand/make of silencer did you order?

The official web page states that the speed of a .25 pellet is 665 fps, while the .22 version does 800fps (full power version, no idea with which pellets this was tested)

http://bsaguns.co.uk/air-rifles/pcp-airguns/R-10-MK2.aspx?powerRatingRifleID=7#gun-stocks

Strangely, the number of shots per fill is stated to be 50 in .22 , while the figure for the .25 is 60... (obviously, as usual these number are a bit exaggerated).

Never heard of Wolf Airguns, btw. SAK silencers are reportedly very good and can withstand powerful airguns. If you come across one, I would recommend buying it. Personally, I would prefer a silencer that has its internals made out of one single piece of metal, aluminum for example - the models with metal washers, plastic 'curlers' and felt often seem to fail after a while, especially if the gun is quite powerful. But that's all based on stuff I read, not actual tests by myself :)