BSA Gold star SE edition .177

I was after a used Steyr 110 or an Air Arms HFT 500, no luck. I’m impatient so… Then I almost had a BSA gold star Union Jack edition - but it was lost in the mail 😩 any of these platforms would be a nice way to get started in HFT. Two days ago I caught wind of a website called Ransony. They had one BSA gold star edition FT model in black pepper laminate available at <$300 less than anywhere else; $980. They are also a seller on Amazon. I Took a chance and less than 48 hours later I have a beautiful new BSA HFT platform to begin my HFT journey with. It arrived without damage and It charged right up and held air. I cycled a magazine through it without even putting a scope on it. All good. Now I have to wait on some dovetail to picitinny adapters so I can scope it properly with my FT specific scope. Does anyone know if I need to add some elevation to the scope mounts for FT?
Although only.177 and <20 FPE, It does bark. I tried to put a 0DB moderator on it’s pre threaded barrel but the moderator is a millimeter or two, too fat and unless I remove the charging port cover the moderator causes the barrel to deflect upwards ever so slightly - I’m wondering if the barrel is slightly tweaked downward or ??? It comes with an air stripper but it’s not a quiet thing. Any sage advice welcome!

Reactions: woogie_man
This looks like it'll fit a couple of the BSA guns that I think have the same receiver. Hopefully somebody else can chime in and verify it'll work.

That air stripper actually makes it louder than bare barrel. But, yes, it's got some bark without a moderator.

Is the 0db that you're putting on it a large diameter? The moderator I put on it was 30mm and didn't have any interference with the fill cap.

Reactions: cavedweller
If anyone knows where I can access a single shot tray loader please chime in!
If you are unable to attain a single shot tray in the US....try Damian @ pullthetrigger.com in the UK, have purchased several items from him, comes royal mail in about a week and a half, great guy to deal with.

This looks like it'll fit a couple of the BSA guns that I think have the same receiver. Hopefully somebody else can chime in and verify it'll work.

That air stripper actually makes it louder than bare barrel. But, yes, it's got some bark without a moderator.

Is the 0db that you're putting on it a large diameter? The moderator I put on it was 30mm and didn't have any interference with the fill cap.
It may in fact be a larger diameter moderator? It is a 0DB for a .30 cal 😣
I might have to break out my calipers. Definitely not a rifle to use a Donny Fl on.

Last edited:
I have the same rifle but in .22. It had issues when I got it. The factory regs are trash and will fail and are not serviceable. Good news is the Huma part is available and can swap on without taking the rifle apart. The air tube is on the small side, at the uk 12ftlb level they get a ton of shot but turned up it drops fast. I run mine at 12.

Huma also sells the Huma/Hub shroud. I have these on two of my bsa rifles and they work great and look factory.

Also, the first stage is extremely long on the bsa rifle. If you don’t mind removing the safety you can shorten that way up. While in there do some polishing. There are vids out there.

For mounts I like the FX adjustable. Center the scope and use the mounts to zero the rifle. Fine tune with the scope. They are a nice mount that is not horribly expensive.

I am off to an ft match but will post more later.

FFC2AF5E-F94C-4C11-9C89-2064AB0B5918.jpeg

I put a sheet of sand paper on a table and sanded a hair or two off the fill cap. Now has a sumo. 0 dB moderator works but sucked it was loud still.View attachment 292483
good to know i wasn't the only one to experience the tighter tolerance... i'm not sure how much sanding you had to do but it must have been a bunch.

i dident read all the threads but have the same gun , you can cut the cap right in the groove and a moderater will fit , mine is 12 lb . and shoots 30 shots and at 20 yards shoots a tiny single hole . , i dont have any pics on this computer but i can send a phone pic if you like
251-610-8582 pics would be great

Retrofitting an SSG devise into ANY BSA pcp is the single most substantial modification one can make to SAVE AIR and massively REDUCE the muzzle report !!
What is a SSG ? I have a R 10 in .22 cal. I put a 12 in barrel on it and a huum shroud it is set at about 11 fpe great rifle very accurate. I mostly shoot indoor silowet and once in a while a few rats.