BSA Defiant

Hi All,

I haven't been active in air guns the last few years but when I was, I loved BSA's. I've followed the industry silently. They were never leading edge but they were good quality with a fantastic barrel and a super easy to work on platform. There was always a complaint that they never released a bullpup even though aftermarket bullpup stock & kit makers always had BSA conversions Now I'm thinking of getting a new gun I never see any one talk about it. Its not for sale in a lot of places. Was it really that bad? It seemed very over priced for what it was, which from what I read, was basically a Scorpion turned into a bullpup.

Thanks! 

Yes sir, I have a .22 Defiant.

I don't know about where the design came from, but overall, the gun is nice.

The stock seems to have been designed by two people. The front half is done really well. Nice flowing curves, each flowing smoothly.into the next. While, from the grip back, seems more like a bridge builder designed the back half. I've got the Black Pepper laminate. Very nicely finished, smooth, semi-gloss, with no blemishes anywhere.

The gun itself, while a bit heavier than most, is overall nicely done. The trigger is usable, but I got one that's a little tight. That is the machined block that it's mounted in has plastic washers on each side of the trigger. The fit is a bit tight. The trigger moves smoothly, but snugly in the block. So far I've not taken it apart to try to fix because I don't have any similar washers that may be a VERY much thinner. I think it only needs .002" or .003" thinner to be good. I've thought of sanding one that's in there. I've got some very fine paper (6000, 8000 grit) that I can remove a small amount and polish it at the same time, just haven't done it. Other than that, the trigger, like I said, is smooth, the first stage is smooth, light. The second stage wall is fairly solid, not as solid as many others, but plenty for a good feel. The let-off is, like the wall, a little soft. Not super crisp as more expensive guns, but unless you are bench shooting at 100 yards, it works fine.

That said, I like the gun. The magazine is very well done, it fits well into the action, so as not to be in the way while shooting. The rear part of the action is smooth, and clean plastic. A well done, smooth area for your cheek. The cocking lever is smooth and works well. On the right side of the gun and not able to be swapped to the other side.

Airguns of Arizona has by far the best price for them. I would not have bought mine for the full price that most are asking, Even after buying mine, I don't think they are worth the full asking price that most shops are asking. But the cost from the noted shop is mostly fair, considering the cost of a lot of other guns. The only better option for just a LITTLE more money is the FX Wildcat Mk III. For what that gun is, it's amazingly inexpensive. And yea, It's a MUCH...better option to buy if you just have the money for one.

I shoot off-hand so my accuracy comments are subjective. In general, it's as accurate as the rest of my guns (all bullpups), at my shorter shooting distance.

Would I buy the Defiant again, probably yes, but only after I bought the Wildcat Mk III !

Hope that helps.

Mike

I paid $738 shipped for a 2 month old apparently hardly used gray laminate that looks brand new with 2 magazines and hard case and extra Huma Stainless steel fill probe with quick disconnect.

I think it's worth the money (I paid) however I do own many other BSA guns and my cheaper R10s seem A LOT better built IMHO. This seems to be put together as though it was rushed.

The silencer is very big and long and doesn't appear to be very effective (should be Mousefart quiet based on size and girth IMHO) and it doesn't make sense how it unscrews it's obviously proprietary.

If you can find a used one for $700 I would say buy it but for $1000 you better off spending a little more or the same amount for something a lot better. It's the build quality that I notice appears to not be on par with the rest of the BSA guns that's all. 

Buy a used Daystate Renegade 22 for $900 - $1000 you probably be a lot happier for sure. They are worth their full price and no regulator to go bad or worry about and they all are absolute lasers as-is IMHO. I own several of them in 22 caliber and few in 177. I am not planning to buy another BSA Defiant in 22 caliber no matter how cheap but maybe a 177 and no way not at their new $1000 price but perhaps at $700. Daystates are another story though since you just can't have enough Daystates.

A used Taipan Veteran for $1000 is a much better gun than the BSA too night and day no question.

imagejpeg_05.1610953051.jpg

20200611_1404122.1610953521.jpg

WHERE...does one find a Daystate Renegade for $900 or $1000 ?

The few that I've seen, the owners seem to think that they are gold and want 90% of the as new cost.

As I stated, for a coupla hundred more, buying new, I'd buy an FX Wildcat III. But also as noted, IF, one could find a "good" Daystate for $1000, that would also be a very good gun to have. I have two (Renegade and Pulsar), happy with both.

The Daystates are also a little on the heavier side as the Defiant is. The Wildcat is very much lighter, makes a difference if you shoot offhand.

As for the Defiants silencer, yea, Odoyal is correct. Not as quiet as the size hints at. I removed the factory silencer (not an easy task) and installed a Donny, Tatsu. Makes a notable difference

Mike

AOA has blemished specials they don't sell at full price call and ask they are brand new couple hundred off. Sometimes they got unadvertised old stock brand new guns like the brand new FX Bobcat I recently bought for $800 with full 3 year warranty. (NOT through them though I was told but said the receipt is for a new gun so that's all that matters).

Bought several blemished brand new and they look 95% and have full earranty.

I buy a lot of guns regularly from them. They ask if I have any interest or want this this this and this so I end up with more guns than originally planned on.

Sometimes you cone across good deals for lightly used guns on the classifieds.

I get solicited a lot from sellers I had prior good dealings with that often don't want the headaches of lowballers and tire kickers after posting on the classifieds since I don't lowball. They give me very good deals and just I buy (can't pass up good deals OCD!!!) that's why I have so many duplicates of the same guns in the same calibers like the last 3 Renegades I bought in the past 2 months.

Dang just bought one from AOA then 2 more good deals came up right after that. 

Just like buying a brand new $40k car then you find one that's less than a year old very low mileage clean carfax original owner for half price. Bought it because it was a different color and OCD good deal syndrome kicked in.