BSA Buccaneer SE Silentium Stock Stickiness

Just got a new BSA Buccaneer SE Silentium .22 yesterday and, when unboxing it this morning, noticed that the black stock is VERY sticky. I had a hard time removing the plastic as well as the cardboard protectors. I did not have a chance to try anything on it this morning to see if the stickiness could be removed.

Is there any way to remove this stickiness from the stock with alcohol or some other cleaner? I would hate to keep sending rifles back if something like this can be corrected by me.

Thanks

Not positive but I think it’s normal. That black stock version has a soft touch coating on it. I’m guessing it’s just that and it will go away over time. I have been eyeing them for a long time and I need to decide to pull the trigger or not on one. I decided a long time ago though that if I do get one I’m sanding that soft touch finish off and re staining the stock. 

Have you gotten to shoot it yet?

Contacted the place I bought it from, and he said it was not normal and suggested I send it back for a refund. He also told me that he looked at the last one he had in stock and it had the same issue. When I phoned Gamo this morning, they also did not know how to remove it and recommended a return. Too bad as I was really looking forward to trying it because of all the positive comments about the rifle.

As they say, back to the drawing board again...

After telling the seller about contacting Gamo, he said to try to phone them again and get them to send a replacement stock since the rifle is under warrantee. After phoning Gamo back, their message says they are closed for an extended holiday; so, I will try again Monday to see what they say. If they say "no", I guess I will send it back and look for another rifle which would be too bad, as these and the Gamo Coyote (which looks and has specs that are essentially the same) are going for at least $250 more on other PCP sites.

About 5-6 years ago my crossbow with the camo soft touch stock developed that sticky feeling. I tried to remove it with just soap and water but it didn't work. So I then went to the mildest solvent I could find - baby oil - and with a little rubbing using a clean T-shirt all the sticky stuff came off. Still has the original color and that soft touch feel but the stickiness has never came back.

Contacted Gamo USA again this morning, and after speaking to the gunsmith, they offered to either have me send in the rifle for them to repair it or send me a replacement wood stock (as they no longer have the synthetic version). So I opted for them to send the wood replacement, and they are doing this at no charge. Since I had not sent in a warrantee card, and they did not ask for the serial no.(even though I offered it), they are taking me at my word.

Since the replacement stock will probably take about 2 months to get here via FedEx (the tracking seems to be taking them the long way around across the Artic Circle, and FedEx always throws the packages in the bushes), I took off the rubberized stock to try and remove the stickiness so I could test the rifle and site it in without having to peel it from my shirt. After trying a few different things, alcohol (methanol, isopropyl) seemed to remove it pretty well. Disinfecting wipes or mineral spirits did not do anything. it seems as if the rubber was sprayed over wood as I see some wood grain showing through the internal areas of the stock. So far, it is powerful enough the split through 5/8" plywood at 35 yards. Even though I heard some air escaping initially when pumping it up since the pressure gauge was a little loose, no leaks yet after about 40 rounds (unlike the DAR Gen II). The magazine could be better as the rotary part is plastic, but it functions OK so far.