BRUTAL Experience Today Shipping at UPS Hub

"Pneumatic tool" i like that one, good idea. Definitely isnt a lie. 

Some people are just completely brainwashed into thinking that guns are the worst thing in the world. Add that with someone who assumes they are correct and refuses to be told otherwise and you have this exact situation. I would call up the regional office or something and file a complaint. You were treated like a criminal and 3 hours of your day taken because of someone using a technicality in their job "rights". While nothing will happen, maybe they will tell her to not be a jerk to the customers moving forward. You told her what it was, which is legal to ship, and she suspected otherwise and refused to let you ship it. That should not be an option the desk person has. 

Has anyone else had to deal with UPS like this?

these days, i expect to be dealing with a snowflake with the iq of a goldfish ...

Yes, we are seeing the impact of our public schools having now for a while been teaching kids that guns are bad. 'You don't really need understand anything about guns, just know that all are bad.'

Last year a gun I purchased from Krale got stuck at the UPS Worldport in Kentucky due to someone not knowing the difference between an air/pellet gun and a firearm. When I was finally able to get in communication over the phone with someone at UPS (no easy feat...), I explained that it was 'like a Red Ryder but powered by air instead of a spring.' She was an older woman (I assumed by her voice), and she immediately understood the difference between my incoming shipment and a firearm.

So she sends an email to the entity within UPS where some uninformed Snowflake has put this airgun on 'Alphabet org hold.' Response from them within 1 minute: 'Package forwarded to CBP.' 

I thought that my airgun was a goner but apparently CBP sees so much contraband that they understand the difference between an airgun and a regulated firearm. Shipment was released that afternoon.

Needless to say that with all this additional scrutiny on the package, this one cost me customs duties and other various UPS additional fees.

Haven't ordered another gun from an OUS vendor since this incident.

I think the fundamental issue to decide, do you want reliable insurance coverage? If so, then do it by the rules, full disclosure, have pictures, invoices, etc. Assume that they will want to open the package for inspection (which may be in your interest). If quick and easy is the priority, slap a label on it, call it what you want, and accept the provided insurance coverage. 

And before getting too authoritative with a carrier rep about firearm vs air gun, remember, that may not be the issue. Alphabet org rules and definitions guide federal law, but may be irrelevant to this issue. Company policy can be totally different. Such as the UPS franchise stores restriction on air guns. That's precisely how it's worded in the agreement, which has nothing to do with laws and regulations. I had to eat a little crow one day on that one, and the UPS franchisee was totally correct. She would have put her franchise at risk by accepting it.

I think the fundamental issue to decide, do you want reliable insurance coverage? ...

Note that UPS and FedEx are pretty up-front on their web sites that paying for a higher declared value is not 'insurance' per se. They both offer to take extra money for you for something generically known as 'package protection.' After running through a claim with FedEx last year, the package protection fees are pretty much like the old Monty Python sketch where the unsuspecting Vicar purchases the insurance policy where 'any claim you make will not be paid.'

Both UPS and FedEx also explain on their web sites that you can purchase insurance on your shipment, through a separate (third party?) entity. I think that this is the only way you can obtain 'reliable insurance coverage.' The Package Protection fees offered by UPS and FedEx seem to only be worth what you pay for them in a case where the shipment is lost by them, or had obviously been run over by a fork truck.

Right Tom, their package protection is not real multi-peril insurance, but it can be useful in cases of loss or neglect. Also, and this may be the case with third party insurance too, any claim payment is based on the lesser of the amount you purchased, or, an amount determined to be market value. So, there will be depreciation deducted from your cost. When I buy it, it's always an amount less than my cost, because I know I would never collect the full cost of the rifle. 

downloadfile.1642876266.jpg

Reactions: kingsqueak
My easiest outlet is USPS, just print the label at home, slap it on and drop it off. The only issue, I have to go in person if I want to buy insurance.

If you buy through paypal shipstation you can add insurance. I just sold an impact and purchased shipping with $1500 insurance for $37.67 total. The box was 8"x15"x40-something and weighed 24 LBS.

Reactions: Oregun
I once shipped a welder from the right coast to the left. The guy I shipped to said they had a lot of problems with damage so I took the machine to a ups store and paid the extra money for them to package and ship. I also insured the $1800 machine for $2000. The package gets to him and he signs for a whole truckload of boxes. Next day he opens mine to find it destroyed from a high fall. He returns the machine through ups due to shipping damage and it goes back to the ups store I shipped from. They tell me I have to take the machine to get an estimate on repair cost. I tell them I'm not taking possession of the machine they damaged and they need to get the estimate. This went back and forth for more than a week until the ups store owner said just get someone to look at pictures and give an estimate. I got a guy to do that and the estimate was high so the store owner paid me something like $1900. The check was from the store owner not ups. I never touched the machine again after I shipped it so I guess they scrapped it.

Reactions: Ezana4CE
My easiest outlet is USPS, just print the label at home, slap it on and drop it off. The only issue, I have to go in person if I want to buy insurance.

If you buy through paypal shipstation you can add insurance. I just sold an impact and purchased shipping with $1500 insurance for $37.67 total. The box was 8"x15"x40-something and weighed 24 LBS.

Thanks. I don't use PP, but I found the insurance option in my USPS account, easy. As I thought, my previous attempt failed due to operator error! By doing it online, I would be sure to document the contents very well if it was a $2K air rifle. I'm sure it would be denied, probably several times, before any claim would be paid.

these days, i expect to be dealing with a snowflake with the iq of a goldfish ...

Yes, we are seeing the impact of our public schools having now for a while been teaching kids that guns are bad. 'You don't really need understand anything about guns, just know that all are bad.'

Last year a gun I purchased from Krale got stuck at the UPS Worldport in Kentucky due to someone not knowing the difference between an air/pellet gun and a firearm. When I was finally able to get in communication over the phone with someone at UPS (no easy feat...), I explained that it was 'like a Red Ryder but powered by air instead of a spring.' She was an older woman (I assumed by her voice), and she immediately understood the difference between my incoming shipment and a firearm.

So she sends an email to the entity within UPS where some uninformed Snowflake has put this airgun on 'Alphabet org hold.' Response from them within 1 minute: 'Package forwarded to CBP.' 

I thought that my airgun was a goner but apparently CBP sees so much contraband that they understand the difference between an airgun and a regulated firearm. Shipment was released that afternoon.

Needless to say that with all this additional scrutiny on the package, this one cost me customs duties and other various UPS additional fees.

With all due respect, this is your opinion, and it is not based on facts. I’d be interested in seeing the language in the California State Standards that indicates the lesson/lessons that state this.

If anything, the aversion to anything shooting related is a direct result of the mainstream media’s slanted reporting and the actions of state lawmakers.

Sure, we can agree that many educators are often on the liberal side of the political spectrum, but there are also a fair amount of conservatives as well. And contrary to what many may think, educators cannot simply state whatever they want. Remember, those kids go home and tell their parents everything that happens in a classroom. If an educator starts espousing ideas that run counter to what student’s parents believe, I can guarantee you that the administration will hear about it. And they will put a stop to it.

I can certainly understand a bias against public schools, and they have done a good job of stoking the ire of the general public, but it serves no one to paint all educators with the same broad brush. This is exactly what happens to shooters when some nut misuses a firearm. All of a sudden, all enthusiasts of the shooting sports are vilified. It’s neither true nor accurate, and the same can be said about educators.

With all due respect, this is your opinion, and it is not based on facts. I’d be interested in seeing the language in the California State Standards that indicates the lesson/lessons that state this.

If anything, the aversion to anything shooting related is a direct result of the mainstream media’s slanted reporting and the actions of state lawmakers.

Sure, we can agree that many educators are often on the liberal side of the political spectrum, but there are also a fair amount of conservatives as well. And contrary to what many may think, educators cannot simply state whatever they want. Remember, those kids go home and tell their parents everything that happens in a classroom. If an educator starts espousing ideas that run counter to what student’s parents believe, I can guarantee you that the administration will hear about it. And they will put a stop to it.

I can certainly understand a bias against public schools, and they have done a good job of stoking the ire of the general public, but it serves no one to paint all educators with the same broad brush. This is exactly what happens to shooters when some nut misuses a firearm. All of a sudden, all enthusiasts of the shooting sports are vilified. It’s neither true nor accurate, and the same can be said about educators.

Yeah, my wife is an "educator", and she shoots with me ( airguns and firearms), all the time.

For many years the machine shop where I worked was an " authorized" UPS shipping center, in other words we had an account and agreed to abide by there packaging requirements.. Because we were an " authorized" shipper our packages were not opened for inspection. I shipped all my airguns thru there and just reimbursed the company. Because they were an " authorized" shipper, the cost was considerably less than a UPS store!!! Delivery was also much quicker due to being classified as a " commercial" shipment. Over the 30 years of shipping I did have a few claims, these were quickly settled with the company and my company just reimbursed me when they got paid. As an " authorized" shipper, the more you shipped, the bigger discount your company recieved. When I was gunsmithing I was shipping 3-4 rifles each week so the company was happy to do this as there own shipping was cheaper due to the volume. I am now retired and dont ship any volume of rifles anymore, however my old employer still allows me to come in and use there UPS service... my shipping rates are about 25/30 % less going thru an authorized volume shipper. My grandaughter handles shipping and recieving where she works and the company employees also use the company UPS as it is much less hassle and cheaper !!! How about your employer????