BRUTAL Experience Today Shipping at UPS Hub

'm still reeling over this and need to vent! First, I've had a LOT of headaches shipping air rifles over this past year or so. FedEx started refusing to accept air rifles out of the blue. I do not trust UPS franchise stores after one of my non-airgun related shipments was stolen from the store, and I had some serious problems that I won't unpack with the USPS. 

My last real alternative had been shipping from an official UPS Hub location, where I had only had one minor hiccup with an employee that couldn't differentiate an airgun with a firearm, but she was quickly educated by another UPS associate working next to her counter and I never had problems at her counter thereafter.

So this morning, I drive down to this shipping hub with a PCP that I needed to ship. I had it all boxed up with care and used good quality packing tape. There was one clerk behind the counter whom I didn't recognize working by herself. Everything started off fine, until she asked me what I was shipping. I told her that it was a "pellet rifle", and then she immediately changes her tone as if I'm shipping plutonium or something crazy. Right then and there I know that she's going to give me a seriously hard time.

She says well I'm going to need to open the box and look at it. She goes on to tell me that she suspects that I'm trying to ship a firearm. I politely explain what UPS's policies are for pellet rifles and then I start probing her to see if she knows the difference between airguns and firearms. She claims that she knows the differences, but she immediately reveals that she actually doesn't know what she's talking about and digresses into asking me if this address is a "licensed recipient" (an FFL)!

At this point I asked to speak with her supervisor, hoping that one of the other clerks whom I regularly ship with can deal with this employee, She says there are no supervisors there at the hub, yet she goes around the corner and start talking with someone who sounds like they could be a supervisor! (I never actually get eyes on this guy who she's talking to in the adjacent room). 

Longer version short - she took over 45 minutes to get in touch with someone on the phone to verify that I didn't have to ship to an FFL. I could also tell that they were informing her of their policies and probably insinuating that she was overreacting, but then I hear her say "I still have the right to open his shipment and inspect it".

She hangs up and tells me that she needs to get someone from UPS security to help her open the package to inspect it. I told her that I was using a high quality packing tape that I felt confident wouldn't tear open in transit and asked her HOW I was supposed to reseal the package thereafter? She pulls out a crappy roll of the cheapest quality transparent tape has less strength than Scotch tape, and I'm like hell no! I realize that at this point there's no way in hell that I'm going to avoid opening it, so I wind up driving around to find an office supply store to buy decent packing tape.

Over an hour later, I return to UPS and open the package. She and a UPS security guy look in awe at the rifle, and then I start re-packaging everything the way I originally had it. I asked her if this was something that I was going to expect from UPS from this point onward. And she says "oh no! I just wanted to make sure you weren't shipping a firearm". I asked her "then what exactly will be different the next time I come in to ship a pellet rifle?" and her head nearly shorted out right in front of me as she pondered the question, 

This was 3 hours of my life - gone! I have no idea where else to ship from now, but there's no way in hell that I'm going back to that facility so help me God.

Has anyone else had to deal with UPS like this? 

Ups is my go to. But I do not tell them what I'm shipping. I understand their policies, and also understand that they often have a poorer grasp on them. I also understand that obscuring what I am actually shipping could be problematic were something to happen to the package. But this is how I currently ship anything I have to.

That said, if I had the intention of telling them, and encountered the same person and situation... I would have quickly turned around and left. 

Nothing like someone that thinks they know better and are "in charge" to wreck your day. 

Wow. Sounds like a similar experience I had with UPS in Austin, TX. When asked what I was shipping, I said " pellet gun". Immediately all 3 associates look at me like I'm a criminal and their supervisor pokes her head around the corner and says, " I'm going to have to call central because he said gun."

20 min later they go ahead and ship it off . Luckily they didn't open my package.

During that 20 min wait the associates were drilling me with questions. Turned out to be the most painful conversation I've ever had. They treated me like dirt.

Usps has been great for me.

Fedex once did open my package to assure there was no air. After that , they had no issues. They were also respectful the whole time. 

Wow that was insane! It's sad but so many have been programmed from an early age that guns are evil. It's hard for them to accept the word for anything else.

A very sad day we live in.

Three hours is a very long time.

Had a similar experience but I ended it very quickly;

New guy behind the counter at my long time UPS shipping outlet decided one day that they could no longer ship airguns or even airgun parts for some reason that he rambled on about and I ignored. He gave me a hard time so I left promptly. His store lost a long time customer.

So, I immediately drove a mile down the street to a Fed-Ex store never to return to the UPS store I had used for decades. The FedEx people seldom ask me what I am shipping and things are so much better. The clerk did not blink an eye when he asked once and told him airgun parts either. I went back two more times that day to ship more parts.

Programmed people are so ignorant and it really sucks cuz they don't even know they are programmed.

They are allot like this quote from my Words Of Wit collection;

When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. Hence, dealing with this fact is not difficult. It is only hard for those still living around you… It's the same when you're stupid.

In my little country it is pretty much a cultural thing ( that guns are evil ) even if there are actually some recreational shooters and also still some hunters around here, but i am sure they too are frowned upon in general.

And why i dont get, or i do cuz 9.9 times out of 10 you hear about guns, and / or them being used it is also criminals that go to town on each other, CUZ the ordinary person cant really have a gun and sure as hell not for defense, he can have one for hunting, and guess what, now there are annual tests for hunters as many have gotten that license just to be able to have a shotgun at home. And then there is the recreational shooters, that can get a gun after a 2 year active membership of a shooting club, and i think they can even bring that gun home too ( the horror )

Okay some kid here just got arrested for planning school shootings and also having procured 2 illegal firearms, and that is also a horrible thing to do indeed, but it is in the realm of stupid and so hard / impossible to protect against, this guy only got busted as he was on INCEL internet groups talking about his plans, and you sure as hell cant stop a idiot like that with laws without hurting non stupid, strait up honest people with the same laws.

I dont think there are any posting / shipping firearms rules here, in general as people do not have any firearms to post / ship around, in the US the challenges are of course different, but it is hard for me to tell what would be prudent and what is crazy cuz i am over here and most of my info do come thru means that no person should trust hands down.

I never shipped an air rifle in my life. Wink Wink. You can’t blame these people behind the counter. They’re just trying to do their job. And contrary to some opinions being “ careful” about shipping “ guns” is not a bad thing at all. You also can’t expect people to understand the difference. I DO ship powder burners FFL to FFL pellet rifles I just avoid the subject. It’s not against the law as I understand it ( not yet) and simpler to just avoid the subject. My opinion what I do . You may see it differently 

I think most of us have had shipping issues similar to this at one time or other. As far as I know, FedEx still accepts air rifles, but I haven't used them lately. FYI, UPS franchise stores cannot accept air rifles, it's in the franchise rules, specifically. If you have a local store that does, that's great, but they are violating their agreement. The hubs can accept them. And yes, they have the right to open and inspect it, so if you think more secure sealing is needed, be prepared. My easiest outlet is USPS, just print the label at home, slap it on and drop it off. The only issue, I have to go in person if I want to buy insurance. So when I use that option, it's usually uninsured. Finally, the issue of lying about what's in the box, be cautious with that approach, especially if you are buying insurance. If the package is lost or damaged, and you are found to have lied about the contents, you will have no chance of an insurance payment. From that perspective, I think the best approach is to not only be truthful about the contents, but have detailed pictures of the rifle, both before and during the packing process. You might even want to include the daily newspaper in one photo to verify date. Fraud is rampant and the insurance carriers are careful. Even with that, coming to an agreement with the insurance carrier on actual value will be a challenge. 

I called Crosman last week to get an #RA no. to return a PCP under warranty. As i am only about 20 min away from the factory i assumed i could just drop off the rifle. Wrong. Because of Covid she told me i couldn't bring it in! Why is it i can't bring a rifle in the front door yet they accept packages daily at the warehouse? Anyway i asked if i should tell UPS i was shipping an air rifle & she said no. I was to tell them that it was sporting equipment? As mentioned by elh0102, if the package is lost or damaged then you have to come clean & i'm sure go through a lot of red tape to get reimbursed.