Brown headed cowbirds?

So I've noticed a huge uptick in this particular species in my area. They get me sometimes thinking they're a grackle. The water drip call they make gives them away.

Anyhow, I had to look these up because they were never around here before a couple years ago, and their numbers are growing.

These are fair game to pop if they're a nuisance like grackles, right?

Not sure where you are, but they are good to get popped down here.
So I've noticed a huge uptick in this particular species in my area. They get me sometimes thinking they're a grackle. The water drip call they make gives them away.

Anyhow, I had to look these up because they were never around here before a couple years ago, and their numbers are growing.

These are fair game to pop if they're a nuisance like grackles, right?

I'm in Missouri and here is what I'm finding when I Google.

Is it legal to shoot cowbirds in Missouri?
Laws and regulations

A permit is not required to control the following species of birds when they threaten or damage trees, crops, livestock or wildlife, or when their numbers pose a health hazard or other nuisance: yellow-headed, red-winged, rusty and Brewer's blackbirds; cowbirds; grackles; crows; and magpies.

But then I find also that they're protected by the migratory bird act. Same as grackles. Why all the grey area I have no idea. I've been told that they can be deemed a nuisance if they just poop on your car lol. That would mean every bird is fair game!

Shoot every cowbird you can. They lay their eggs in song birds nests and just leave them. The babies grow so much faster and require more food so the baby song birds die. They don't stand a chance in my yard.
If they force my brown thrasher out, I will kill every last one! It took me 3 years of shooting pest birds to get this mated pair to stay.

the "cowbirds" here on the coast of Alabama are large, completely white birds with long legs
that tend to be around cattle and sometimes they perch on cattle and pick the ticks and bugs off of them.
there not in overly abundance here and never have been i know of in over 60 years.
my cows dont mind them and they dont crap on there feed or hay. so there ok here on my farm.
also i do think they are protected here.
maybe we are talking about different cowbird species ?

Reactions: Dr. Kralenstein
the "cowbirds" here on the coast of Alabama are large, completely white birds with long legs
that tend to be around cattle and sometimes they perch on cattle and pick the ticks and bugs off of them.
there not in overly abundance here and never have been i know of in over 60 years.
my cows dont mind them and they dont crap on there feed or hay. so there ok here on my farm.
There are a few species on them. The ones I'm concerned about are the brown headed, and I see more of them than grackles or starlings now. There aren't any cows around here for miles either lol.

These are cowbirds.

Look like this. Basically a grackle that has a finch style beak... and apparently shoved it's head up a cows ass.

1000006899.jpg

I'm applying for my depredation order today. I'll walk you all through our process and I'll outline the requirements.

21.43 Depredation order for black birds, cowbirds, grackles, crows,
and magpies. You do not need a Federal permit to control the species listed in the table below if they are committing or about to commit depredations on ornamental or shade trees, agricultural crops, livestock, or wildlife, or when concentrated in such numbers and manner that they are a health hazard or other nuisance:

In most cases, if you use a firearm to kill migratory birds under the provisions of this section, you must use nontoxic shot or nontoxic bullets to do so. See §20.21(j) of this chapter for a listing of approved nontoxic shot types. However, this prohibition does not apply if you use an air rifle, an air pistol, or a 22 caliber rimfire firearm for control of depredating birds under this order.

Reactions: Dr. Kralenstein
I'm applying for my depredation order today. I'll walk you all through our process and I'll outline the requirements.

21.43 Depredation order for black birds, cowbirds, grackles, crows,
and magpies. You do not need a Federal permit to control the species listed in the table below if they are committing or about to commit depredations on ornamental or shade trees, agricultural crops, livestock, or wildlife, or when concentrated in such numbers and manner that they are a health hazard or other nuisance:

In most cases, if you use a firearm to kill migratory birds under the provisions of this section, you must use nontoxic shot or nontoxic bullets to do so. See §20.21(j) of this chapter for a listing of approved nontoxic shot types. However, this prohibition does not apply if you use an air rifle, an air pistol, or a 22 caliber rimfire firearm for control of depredating birds under this order.
So if the bird is just hanging around and you think it will commit depredations, you can shoot them?

It's kind of like the police can just think you have intent to do something so they just start blasting...

Or the 3 letter org who can say you have intent to make an SBR solely because you own an extra rifle stock that could be attached to a pistol.

Interpretation of the law is so vague lol.

Reactions: Firewalker
So if the bird is just hanging around and you think it will commit depredations, you can shoot them?

It's kind of like the police can just think you have intent to do something so they just start blasting...

Or the 3 letter org who can say you have intent to make an SBR solely because you own an extra rifle stock that could be attached to a pistol.

Interpretation of the law is so vague lol.
I'm the law in my yard.