Bronze bushing for Tony Leach skirtless piston

Hello
Any Machinist in the house?

Was wondering if anyone can make two Bronze bushing for my Tony Leach Skirtless piston (to replace the Delrin ones).

Willing to pay or we can barter (got some excess airgun stuff like, scope rings, JSB 1.77 8.4 grain pellets, etc).

Ideal if you are local and can show/teach me how to operate my Chinese mini lathe. San Francisco area

Mainly don't want to loose any fingers or eyeball... trying this on my own.

Reactions: maxtrouble
Hello

Was wondering if anyone can make two Bronze bushing for my Tony Leach Skirtless piston (to replace the Delrin ones).

Willing to pay or we can barter (got some excess airgun stuff like, scope rings, JSB 1.77 8.4 grain pellets, etc).

Ideal if you are local and can show/teach me how to operate my Chinese mini lathe. San Francisco area

Hello JP806TX,

Please send me pictures and dimensions of the bushings, I'll give you a quote.

Bob

Hello JP806TX,

Please send me pictures and dimensions of the bushings, I'll give you a quote.

Bob
Hi Bob
the Delrin next to the top hat. OD=21.87mm, ID=17.92mm, length= 4mm
the Delrin next to the red piston seal. OD=21.92mm, ID=17.98mm, length =4mm
having trouble uploading pictures so grabbed one from the net

delrin.jpg

Last edited:
Hello

I’m all the way over on the East Coast, but I install, tune and upgrade Tony’s older kits with hand fitted bronze bearings. I also replace the delrin transfer ports with brass ports with single oring.

One thing to note on the front bearing, I remove the front o-ring and machine a wider bearing with a small groove. This eliminates the o-ring.

Steve

1873B51F-E81C-4EDC-B224-E51D93E0D86C.png

Reactions: whyzee
Is there a reason why you want to switch to brass?

Tim
Tim, the phosphor bronze bearings expand less with heat and can be run with a tighter tolerance within the compression tube than the delrin bearings. All of Tony’s skirtless kits now come with bronze bearings.

Steve

Last edited:
Is there a reason why you want to switch to brass?

Tim
I had two summers when my Tony Leach kit went from 11.5 FPE to 8 FPE. Other competitors using Tony's Kit also reported losing power in 90+ degree heat. I contacted Tony and he suggested Bronze bushing instead of Delrin Bushing as his analysis was that the Delrin bushings may be expanding in the heat and dragging on the compression tube thus robbing power.

BTW the suggestion was Bronze bushing ...not brass

Reactions: tjmac
Tim, the phosphor bronze bearings expand less with heat and can be run with a tighter tolerance within the compression tube than the delrin bearings. All of Tony’s skirtless kits now come with bronze bearings.

Steve
Hi Steve
Any feedback from your customer regarding the performance of your bronze bearing at high temperature?

Steve
Steve, any reason that the bronze bearings would not be a good idea as a replacement to the original piston delrin bearings too or even the ones found in the LGU/LGV?

-Marty

Hello

I would suggest you buy the parts if you are in a hurry. As far as your lathe is concerned there are many videos on YouTube for beginners. Start with a few safety videos. Shop safety is number one. While you are learning start off with cheap materials like plastic and aluminum or even wood before moving on to the pricier stuff.

Its the problem with Delrin. Especially with the Tinbum kits.
With the Tinbum kits you will already be dropping a full 1ftlb due to the reduction of weight from steel, but on a hot day ive known as low as 9 ftlbs…as the already tight guide gets even tighter on the spring.
Its because the high thermal expansion of Acetal/ Delrin is adding another effect against power, especially when tuners already build in tight tolerance fits…

Tony got it right first time (see his original report on the New Formula AGW) using PB bearings.
His shift to Delrin an error because Tony loves his tight tolerances which Delrin is not so keen on.
Great guy, but i believe his original New Formula should have been his final formula as he got it right first time.
Sometimes with technical advance, we occasionally need to take a step backward to our original design….

Recently, i discovered the joy of machining up some Medium Carbon steel guides and Top hats.
Got zero temp shift in size, going from freezing nights to a hot day, allowing good snug fits.
The reason we all shifted from Steel was not the material, it was the fits were not very good from OEM and us then assuming the steel was the issue.
Get your fits right, and steel can be superb, for guides, and never break.
Steel Top hats can easily be relieved a bit by up drilling the the internal diameter for a portion of its length and keeping the length short to keep its weight down if that is what you want.

Great work with the Bronze bushings mods.

Last edited: