Bronze Brushes

As long as I was at it, checked Daystate. The manual for the Red Wolf, under the Maintenance section says:

BARREL CLEANING For optimum performance, the barrel should be periodically cleaned with a barrel cleaning solution recommended for air rifles, or a pellet lubricant. Daystate also advises the use of a lubricant applied to the pellets to reduce lead deposits and maintain the barrel. Frequency of cleaning depends on the pellet type used and the individual barrel; for general guidance, the barrel should be cleaned after every 500 shots

The FX Dreamline Manual says:

Cleaning • Keep the rifle clean and wipe it off with regular gun-oil and a cloth occasionally. • We recommend that you use cleaning pellets occasionally. • These you can use without the risk of damaging the barrel. WARNING: Never use chemicals or water to clean the rifle.

Edgun for the R5 is pretty sparse with:

Periodically clean the rifle barrel channel, means designed to care for the weapon (neutral gun oil, ramrod, visherov etc.)

take it for what you want, but seems the manufactures, except for Red Wolf, specifically recommend staying away from cleaning unless really needed. The question seems gun dependent.

As long as I was at it, checked Daystate. The manual for the Red Wolf, under the Maintenance section says:

BARREL CLEANING For optimum performance, the barrel should be periodically cleaned with a barrel cleaning solution recommended for air rifles, or a pellet lubricant. Daystate also advises the use of a lubricant applied to the pellets to reduce lead deposits and maintain the barrel. Frequency of cleaning depends on the pellet type used and the individual barrel; for general guidance, the barrel should be cleaned after every 500 shots

The FX Dreamline Manual says:

Cleaning • Keep the rifle clean and wipe it off with regular gun-oil and a cloth occasionally. • We recommend that you use cleaning pellets occasionally. • These you can use without the risk of damaging the barrel. WARNING: Never use chemicals or water to clean the rifle.

Edgun for the R5 is pretty sparse with:

Periodically clean the rifle barrel channel, means designed to care for the weapon (neutral gun oil, ramrod, visherov etc.)

take it for what you want, but seems the manufactures, except for Red Wolf, specifically recommend staying away from cleaning unless really needed. The question seems gun dependent.

Actually, I think the manufacturers' recommendations have little to do with practical maintenance, and more to do with managing the stupid actions of a lot of owners. If a rifle is returned for poor accuracy, and the owner says, "I've cleaned it every way I know, patches, brush, various solvents. etc. ", then the maker says, "well, we told you not to clean it that way, and now the barrel is damaged". Or, maybe I'm just cynical. Harsh solvents, stiff brushes,and cleaning rods can be used properly on any of these barrels without harm. But, the maker can't hold the hand of every nitwit out there who doesn't know how to use the basic cleaning tools. Less is always better, doing nothing does no damage. 

elh0102

While you are correct, the manufacturer cannot hold everyone's hand while they learn to clean guns, were cleaning really necessary, the manufacturers would need to make that known.

I think the conversation got side tracked by whether one should clean at all. That's the first question. The second is how to do the cleaning and if brass brushes are OK. Everyone will have their own opinion on the correct way to clean, or what works best for them. For me, any kind of brush seems a bit aggressive on the O-rings, so unless I'm willing to remove the O-rings, just pull through patches for me. I personally won't use brass brushes. Others have other opinions and are free to use brushes if they wish. Best part is, if we really screw up a barrel, they aren't that expensive to replace. One of the nice things about this sport.

elh0102

While you are correct, the manufacturer cannot hold everyone's hand while they learn to clean guns, were cleaning really necessary, the manufacturers would need to make that known.

I think the conversation got side tracked by whether one should clean at all. That's the first question. The second is how to do the cleaning and if brass brushes are OK. Everyone will have their own opinion on the correct way to clean, or what works best for them. For me, any kind of brush seems a bit aggressive on the O-rings, so unless I'm willing to remove the O-rings, just pull through patches for me. I personally won't use brass brushes. Others have other opinions and are free to use brushes if they wish. Best part is, if we really screw up a barrel, they aren't that expensive to replace. One of the nice things about this sport.

While those barrels with breech / barrel held o-rings were not part of the OP's question, a valid argument to the "Q" we're discussing where if a o-ring is present ... remove it and brush the fouling away.

Mechanics people ... if you don't understand it, consult those who do and just move along. It honestly is not rocket science.

Don’t know if this means anything or not, when wondering about brass against a steel barrel, but in my trade, stainless sheets come with a protective plastic coat on the exposed side of the stainless. When the installer has finished installing panels(elevators inside walls, kitchen backsplash and counters, etc), the best and fastest way to remove it is to grab a piece of 1/2” copper pipe cut off from the plumber, hammer one end flat, cut the flat end at an angle so now you have a copper shank, then run that all down the stainless to cut up the plastic, making it easier to peel off. Not one scratch on the finished stainless.