Brocock XR Atomic : as a pistol

@mikew, simply too rich for me, as there are many other good options within its price range. I just couldn't spend close to 2K for small shot count and low power. Particularly for a gun that would fill a very specific role for me, close range, sub 20 yard pesting. I've come to really appreciate my pp700sa and Crosman 1701p at less than an eighth the price for those same kills.

From what I can gauge, it is rather large to be considered a "pistol". Bordering on the same territory as the hatsan sortie in terms of size. But not quite so bulky. The 1701p is on the low powered side of things. But is extremely accurate, good for close range hunting, targets, ect. PP700 is another excellent choice, though single shot, has power output typical of most pcp pistols on the market. There begins to be a large tradeoff for shot count at this threshold where shot count drastically drops for much more power increase in guns this small.

At any rate, I'd gladly own either. Both appropriately proportioned for a pistol. And exceedingly accurate by almost all accounts. But my collection is a bit full at the moment. The atomic is both too large and too expensive. At that price point, I would buy an ap16.

"At that price point, I would buy an ap16."

Yep; when air pistol discussions include priorities like POWER, repeating action, and/or actual pistol-esque size and weight, the discussions invariably arrive at the same conclusion... for (several) good reasons.

The only perspective from which the Brocock XR would not be considered too huge and heavy to be considered a pistol would be from a 'pistol' field target perspective. And even by that extremely liberal standard, it pushes the outer limits. By any other standard, considering it a pistol is quite a stretch.

BTW and FWIW, I had much to do with the loose AAFTA Pistol Field Target rules parameters. Fact is, I had everything to do with PFT 'pistols' NOT looking like this-

PFTDominator.1641580450.jpg

You're welcome.

If anyone has both an Atomic XR and an AP16 (long), much excellent perspective could be lent with a photo of both without muzzle devices. Even greater and more poignant perspective could be injected if said photo included actual weights of both. MoF, if I ever get the opportunity to borrow an Atomic XR, I'll make it happen!

But lacking that and until then, I'll present what I'll opine to be similar studies in contrast-

Study in contrasts.1641581769.jpg

Both the Tau MK 08 (top) and AP16 Compact (bottom) are smaller that the Atomic XR and AP16 Long I'd like to compare, but I think we'd see a similar difference in sizes.

And for a size and weight comparison more air pistoleros can relate to from personal experience- 

1720T and 1701P.1641581930.jpg

A 1720T (top) versus a 1701P (bottom).

For over 1600 dollars plus tax and shipping it unfortunately is not good at either being a pistol or carbine. 

- If you want a pistol I would just throw in a few more bones and get the steyr LP50, or save 700 dollars and get the AP16. Hell, might as well get a Prod with a stock AND AP16 and still be cheaper. 

- If you want a compact carbine then thrown in a few more bones and get the L2 in 250mm barrel and it's not even in the same zip code in ever single aspect! Did I mention it's not even remotely close? Or save $400 and get the Dreamliner compact, although it will be a little bigger but also out class the atomic in every single aspect. THEN there are other carbines new to the market that also look very promising for much cheaper. 

There are reasons there isn't a long line waiting for one of those "pistols", definitely a swing and a miss from brocock IMHO. BTW, @airngasman really knows what he is talking about when comes to pistols.