Tuning Brocock, weird leak issue. Any Air-gunsmiths out there that can help solve ?

Hello all,

Hope there is some Brocock masters in these threads today. My issue is every time I fill my Ranger XR (200 bar) she leaks down to around 150 bar, and then stops leaking. Any ideas on the issue?
She is only 4-5 months old, this was the first time shooting her, only 2 magazines through her by me. After that initial time shooting to sight her in is when I noticed the problem. Tried refilling a few times but same result of leaking to 150 bar. I cannot find any Videos on the disassembly or reassembly of this gun so its kept me from trying a fix myself. If someone can point me towards a breakdown video that would be great. If you have any ideas of what could be wrong I would love to hear them, or point me towards someone that can help. I will be checking back here a few times a day so feel free to ask any questions that may help solve my issue. Thanks Guys and Gals I truly appreciate it.

photos attached (until I figure out how to post pictures in the post)
20220420_154516.1650498632.jpg
20220420_154552.1650498640.jpg

Hi, I had a Concept Lite that developed a leak and they sound very similar. I think there is an O-Ring that sits between the air cylinder and regulator, that I had to replace as it was cracked, that may be in play here. Is the air leak over time or is it abrubt? If the latter, can you feel the air flow around the air cylinder where it mates to the breach block?

You most likely have a bad Oring at the inlet valve. To get at that valve, please watch the following video, it's not difficult to do. It's for the Compatto, but it's the same technique. But go slow and use some non metal picks to get at the Oring. Good luck!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=50Ub6x_n5lQ

You might try something like the following leak detector, best applied via a dropper tube. Apply a drop or two where you insert the probe. If you see little bubbles form you'll have your answer.

image.1650503048.jpeg

@PewPew28 I’m not sure, but let’s try and troubleshoot the issue. If the carbine is new, I suggest sending it in for warranty repair. Trying to fix it yourself will likely void your warranty. I know Brocock to be a company that discourages users from working on their own guns. 

In the past I have seen/read about some Brococks leaking from around the fill port. It could be something as simple as a bad dowry seal or a loose fill port. How long does it take to leak from 230 bar to 150 bar? Can you hear air leaking? Have you tried spraying soapy water around the manometer, ends of the air tube, or the fill port to see if any bubbles are created? Out of curiosity, does the pressure on your regulator gauge move at all when you fill your reservoir or when the reservoir pressure goes down?

takes 24 hours or so to finish leaking to 150 bar, I see the gauge go up to 200, few hours later its gone down, 24 hours later I'm at 150 bar. cant hear leak, got some leak detector going to try that later tonight. I just figured if it was on the outer parts of the gun I would have been able to hear it (past experience with other guns). I would think if the leak was before the valve it would just keep going to 0, and if it stops its because the seal (where ever it was leaking) was strong enough to hold the 150, but I guess that can be true for both sides of the valve.

I fill my Atomic XR to 250 BAR no problem... I had a similar, very slow leak in my Compatto, applied leak detector via the dropper (this way you don't get fluid where you don't want it). And saw the bubbles forming ever so slowly... Please post up once you have remedied the leak. Reaching out to AOA would also be prudent to see what they might suggest.

@ezana4ce, watch Steve at AEAC's review of the Atomic, he fills it to 250 BAR and I believe that is the stated max fill from Brocock... In the manual that came with my Atomic XR, the max fill pressure for the Sniper XR and Concept XR is clearly written as 250 BAR / 3600 PSI.

@L-Leon I was under the impression we were discussing the Brocock Ranger XR in this thread. Are the Atomic and the Ranger the same gun (one sub-12 fpe and the other FAC)? In regards to the Ranger, I’ve read two conflicting maximum fill pressures in two separate airgun publications. One suggests 200 bar the other 230.
1B600210-E6ED-452F-9254-2ABF9445F79B.1650524240.jpeg

I’ve seen this sort of conflicting information concerning Brocock airguns in the past. The difference is that in the past the conflicting information was released from the company itself. 

The information you've posted is from a UK Airgun Magazine... The information I posted is straight from the Brocock manual. I believe all Brococks sold in the USA would be FAC rated PCPs in the UK.

The Brocock Atomic XR and Ranger XR are the same gun. The only differences are folding stock, moderator, and picatinny rails for scopes and accessories. Otherwise exact same platform and shooting specs.

The information you've posted is from a UK Airgun Magazine... The information I posted is straight from the Brocock manual. I believe all Brococks sold in the USA would be FAC rated PCPs in the UK.

The Brocock Atomic XR and Ranger XR are the same gun. The only differences are folding stock, moderator, and picatinny rails for scopes and accessories. Otherwise exact same platform and shooting specs.

@L-Leon Thats what I was unsure of, but began to suspect after reading your initial response about the Atomic. Thanks for clearing that up. It makes sense considering that Brocock has done this with other models/configurations. I did more reading on it this morning and now I understand why. From what I read the changes were specifically for legal purposes. That caused the two variations to be marketed differently. The name change is slick as well. I thought I was clear in communicating that the conflicting information was from two separate publications and left the URL in the screenshot intentionally. My apologies if I caused any confusion here

@PewPew28’s Good morning. Any progress on locating the source of the leak?

I had a leak with my Bantam Sniper that was in the fill valve area. The little piston wouldn't close after the fill and all the air would leak out. AOA was very helpful as this had happened to a number of guns. They sent me the orings but for the life of me I couldn't get them on that little piston and I didn't have that "special tool" that Steve made to do it. I sent the male foster fitting assembly back to AOA and they turned it around very quickly. If it is in that area I would remove the assembly and send it back to AOA and not fiddle with the heat and removing, etc. and let them do it. No need to send the whole gun. 

My Brocock was leaking from the Poppet, it would do the same thing leak down and stop, I removed the poppet and Burnished it with a Rag, a drill and a little silicone oil, spun it up and applied the rag with a good amount of pressure until it got hot, that solved the leaking problem, oh BTW the poppet is made of PEEK. it was pretty easy to do. but mine is a different model, Bantam, but I think the assembly is basically the same. 

Going to use leak detector today, will come back and fill everyone in with results. It has also been suggested that I fill with the gun cocked, although I can hear the hammer spring moving around in there. I guess it is possible for the hammer to be pushing on the valve just enough to cause the leak but then I don't know why it would stop at 150. Another place that I am going to really look at is the power selector knob. If you look close in the picture you might be able to see a slight oily sheen around the knob. And when filled, if I push on the knob (inward like trying to push in a pin) I hear a very slight, short "ppphhhttt" sound (like blowing a "razzberry") though it is hard to duplicate at lower pressure, which is why I suspect that area. I have emailed Brocock, and I am hoping that they have a tech that can email me on some of these issues. Here's a Question for you all, the "poppet" is that the part that opens to let air through the transfer port? Is it inside the valve and has the rod or pin that the hammer strikes to open attached to it? How hard is it to remove and are there any videos showing the process? I have had the poppet suggestion 2 or 3 times now from all the places I've posted asking advice, and it kind of makes sense after setting all that time at 200bar that maybe it "settled" into a shape that now allows for this issue. Although that would be a design flaw, no? I really don't know much about "Peek" or "Derlin" the two materials I've heard it was made of. If the leak is from there (the poppet) the bubbles from the leak detector would come out of where? 

Thanks again for taking time to educate this old man. Hopefully I'll learn a new trick.

My Concept Lite, that leaked, I removed the shroud over the fill port. You just pull it straight off.

I put a balloon over both the fill port and the gauge and gave it a few hours. If it gets bigger, you're on to your area of leak. If you put the balloon over the gauge only you can use process of elimination to know the source. If neither of the above then you know it may be the rear seal where the regulator seals to the breach section.

I used the above process when resolving a place of multiple leaks with my Brocock Concept Lite.

Hope that helps!